2½ year old washing machine beyond economical repair.

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have skimmed over some of the replies so apologies but have you had an independant person look at it ?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I'm saying send the letter, if that doesn't work get the report and go back to them.

I didn't advise OP to start small claims proceedings, simply to send Currys a letter stating they intend to.

Ah. It's just that in post #13 you kept referring to "the claim" so I assumed that's what you meant.

I wouldn't send a LBA unless I was going to follow through on it, and for that I'd want the independent report first.
  • NeilDeWheel
    Options
    Did you pay by credit card?

You may find the credit card company more willing to accept liability under a s.75 Consumer Credit Act claim, as they'll just claw the money back from Currys and not lose anything themselves.

I did pay by credit card. I'm assuming they'll only pay out if Currys don't fix it.

OK, I'll need and independent inspection (which is what I thought I was getting from Zanussi). Does anybody know how I find someone to do it?

Has anyone any views as to whether I can get my money back from Zanussi for the "non-inspection" as, when booking, I specifically said I wanted the machine inspected for a claim report? Hopefully I can get the recording of me booking it if Zanussi did one for "Quality Purposes".
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He was booked on the basis of repair. You changed the requirement to inspection for manufacturers fault when he was on site. They have no option for inspection.

He couldn't do that and told you. He fulfilled his side by attending. You moved the goal posts to a position that he couldn't accommodate so the answer I think will be no, you can't have your money back.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    He was booked on the basis of repair. You changed the requirement to inspection for manufacturers fault when he was on site. They have no option for inspection.

He couldn't do that and told you. He fulfilled his side by attending. You moved the goal posts to a position that he couldn't accommodate so the answer I think will be no, you can't have your money back.

From the OP
    when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Was £60 the cost of the engineer's visit without an inspection?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You bought a Zanussi machine and you expect Zanussi to give you a report? Do Turkeys vote for Christmas.

For one thing the report has to be from an independent expert, Zanussi are neither independent nor ever going to give you a favourable report.

Even if it was paid on CC they have the same rights as the retailer and will want to see this report. They will not just claw the money back from Curry's either as at this stage they have done nothing wrong.

No favourable report no remedy, no court is going to side with you on this as it's the proof you need.

Curry's may or may not see you in court
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did pay by credit card. I'm assuming they'll only pay out if Currys don't fix it.

OK, I'll need and independent inspection (which is what I thought I was getting from Zanussi). Does anybody know how I find someone to do it?

Has anyone any views as to whether I can get my money back from Zanussi for the "non-inspection" as, when booking, I specifically said I wanted the machine inspected for a claim report? Hopefully I can get the recording of me booking it if Zanussi did one for "Quality Purposes".

A combination of internet and a phone might get some results.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options

No, they are jointly and severally liable. You can sue either or both Currys and the credit card company.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    We are careful not to overload it even going as far as to take out half a wash load when using the dryer as per the manual.

I don't understand why people bother to do this?. I have a washer dryer and I load it to the amount it can dry then put it on a timer and it will wash and dry while I'm at work then it's finished when I get home.

If you load it right up then have to take half out after washing before you dry it sort of defeats the purpose of having a washer dryer because you lose the convience factor and you might aswell have seperate machines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure