Halifax bank account closed

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FizzyPop wrote: »
    Thank you. With these letters, does it mean they will place a CIFAS marker? That’s the part I’m most worried about. I can prove where all the money came from. I don’t care whether they open the accounts back up, just whether they place unjustifiable markers.

I’ll call them up on Monday. Will wait for CIFAS confirmation before going into branch.

Possibly but not necessarily. It depends what they've picked up on. Have you applied for any LBG accounts recently? If you check your Experian credit file it will almost certainly have some unrecorded enquiries on there from LBG. If there are several it may tell you that they've been monitoring your activity.

The issue was raised in Parliament in 2011. It even quotes the letter:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2011-11-15/debates/11111553000004/BankAccountFraud

“recent risk assessment on your accounts has highlighted concerns and as a result we have taken the decision to close all the accounts you currently hold with us in two months time...in the meantime, I have placed a block on all your accounts which stop all transactions”.
  • FizzyPop_2
    FizzyPop_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Possibly but not necessarily. It depends what they've picked up on. Have you applied for any LBG accounts recently? If you check your Experian credit file it will almost certainly have some unrecorded enquiries on there from LBG. If there are several it may tell you that they've been monitoring your activity.

Yes, I have. That must be what triggered them to look into it.

Oh and by the way, I checked the letter again. Everything is the same as the letter you posted except mine just says it’s from Lloyds Banking Group, not APAF. Not sure if that makes a difference. Either case will still issue an SAR to CIFAS.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 11:19PM
    Yes, I have. That must be what triggered them to look into it.

Oh and by the way, I checked the letter again. Everything is the same as the letter you posted except mine just says it’s from Lloyds Banking Group, not APAF. Not sure if that makes a difference. Either case will still issue an SAR to CIFAS.

You'll need to do some digging.

Send SARs to:
    • CIFAS (I'd be surprised if anything is on there given what you've said);
    • National Hunter;
    • Synectics Solutions;
    • Lloyds (if you've had anything with them) and separately, HBOS, requesting all information held including customer notes.

Also check Experian through MSE Credit Club and look at the searches.

That should give you a picture of what's going on. And ring them on Monday.

It's the same department that sent the letter (APAF). It's just they've updated their letters with new non-0845 numbers (it's now in Arial font etc.).
  • FizzyPop_2
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    You'll need to do some digging.

Send SARs to:
    • CIFAS (I'd be surprised if anything is on there given what you've said);
    • National Hunter;
    • Synectics Solutions;
    • Lloyds (if you've had anything with them) and separately, HBOS, requesting all information held including customer notes.

Also check Experian through MSE Credit Club and look at the searches.

That should give you a picture of what's going on. And ring them on Monday.

It's the same department that sent the letter (APAF). It's just they've updated their letters with new non-0845 numbers (it's now in Arial font etc.).

Thank you so much! Got all the SAR’s ready to post out on Monday.

Funnily enough I did have some unrecorded enquiries but the weird thing is that they were searching my dads name (who has had an account with Lloyds for many years now, probably 10+ years). Not sure what to make of that. I mean why are searches for him appearing on my credit report? Really hope nothing happens to his account.

Once I find out anything I will update this thread.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    It sounds like you are financially associated with your dad. Have you ever applied for anything jointly with him? Or have a joint bank account/mortgage?

Do you share the same first name/letter?

Have you checked all 3 of your files with MSE Credit Club (Experian) Clearscore (Equifax) and Noddle (Call Credit)?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    You can submit the CIFAS SAR online - no need to wait till Monday or spend money on postage.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request/subject-access-request-form
  • FizzyPop_2
    Candyapple wrote: »
    It sounds like you are financially associated with your dad. Have you ever applied for anything jointly with him? Or have a joint bank account/mortgage?

Do you share the same first name/letter?

Have you checked all 3 of your files with MSE Credit Club (Experian) Clearscore (Equifax) and Noddle (Call Credit)?

That’s odd as I’m not financially associated with him. We’ve never applied for anything jointly together at all, no financial services or anything.

No we don’t share the same first name either. His first name is my pre-surname but that’s about it. I’ve never used my pre-surname on any of my bank accounts except the first account I ever opened with Barclays as a student which I still have today.

I’ve only checked MSE Credit Club. Is it worth checking the others?
  • FizzyPop_2
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    You can submit the CIFAS SAR online - no need to wait till Monday or spend money on postage.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request/subject-access-request-form

I did that, but said it couldn’t verify me. It kept asking different questions about what bank accounts I have out of a selection and as I’ve been taking part in switching offers, I had more than 1 of the options given so selected 1 at random as wouldn’t allow me to select 2.

I need to issue SARs to the others anyway so I don’t mind posting off.
  • FizzyPop_2
    I’ve just checked Equifax and Callcredit and there's nothing extra or any weird searches on there.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    That’s odd as I’m not financially associated with him. We’ve never applied for anything jointly together at all, no financial services or anything.

No we don’t share the same first name either. His first name is my pre-surname but that’s about it. I’ve never used my pre-surname on any of my bank accounts except the first account I ever opened with Barclays as a student which I still have today.

When you are in the credit report, click on 'Financial Associations' - what does it say?

Regarding the searches under your dad's name - what does it say next to 'Application Type'?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure