Advice needed!

Ok to cut a long story short I bought my son a hoover board for his birthday from Ebay on the 27th August, so this out of the 30 day return policy that Ebay currently has. In the last 2 weeks the hoover board has shown the following problems: the lights have been on amber on one side to the hoover board, it has been over heating on the same side, as in too hot to touch and it doesn't charge correctly. According the Ebay seller page I can return the item if I am not happy with it, either for a refund or a replacement. So I email them to return it for a refund as I am worried about it being a fire hazard.

So I email them with my concerns and they wanted me to fix the lights, if they send me the part and refund me around £10. I decline their offer.

After around 30 something emails later, I was finally allowed to return it for a refund. It turns out the return address is in Germany! (There head office is in China and this was clearly stated on the Ebay selling page) I know the item was sent from a place in Leicester as it states this address on the Ebay selling site. There is no mention of a different return address. The item is also under a 3 year warranty and very heavy and would cost a fortune to send back!

I have opened a case with Ebay in order to try and sort it out, however the seller has closed the case and refused the return.

If anyone has any advice I would be really grateful, as this item wasn't cheap. I did pay for the item through paypal, but I am not sure if they can refund the money.

I just feel the site is so misleading on several levels and I am stuck with a hoover board my son can't use.

Rant over!!! I will look forward to some replies.......

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Can you explain the seller closed the case? A seller can not close a case unless a certain amount of time has expired after opening it, is this what happened?

I think in that case eBay would no longer offer you protection, I believe you *may* be able to open a paypal case but not sure if eBay + PP 'talk' to each other to stop you doing this twice.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Can you explain the seller closed the case? A seller can not close a case unless a certain amount of time has expired after opening it, is this what happened?

I think in that case eBay would no longer offer you protection, I believe you *may* be able to open a paypal case but not sure if eBay + PP 'talk' to each other to stop you doing this twice.

A seller can close a case if it is opened outside the 'allowed' time frame as is the case here.

OP you could try a PayPal claim, but it isn't a guaranteed win as they only do INR or SNAD claims and not 'warranty' type claims, but it is definitely worth a try. If you win though you will be expected to pay for a tracked return yourself to the address that PayPal have registered for the seller.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Tens of thousands of 'fake' hoverboards have been seized by Trading Standards/Customs - all from China, sold on ebay or market stalls, and some have even found their way onto legitimate selling sites. They are dangerous and have been the cause of many fires. You could well have lost your money, but be grateful nothing worse has happened.
  • Yeah, your right, I think I'll inform trading standards though just to try to protect others.
  • Just a quick thought though as the selling page wasn't accurate, and false as it clearly stated I can return if not happy with the product for a refund or exchange, but the only address on the site was in Leicester and there was no mention of Germany. Also they have actually refused the return now. So I think I will give eBay a ring and inform them and see what they can do. There has to be a way to solve this!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Just a quick thought though as the selling page wasn't accurate, and false as it clearly stated I can return if not happy with the product for a refund or exchange, but the only address on the site was in Leicester and there was no mention of Germany. Also they have actually refused the return now. So I think I will give eBay a ring and inform them and see what they can do. There has to be a way to solve this!

All businesses have to offer a change of mind return which is what you've picked up on, eBay also offer a 30 day policy for refund on faulty goods. They are unlikely to go beyond that - which leaves you with PayPal (as I outlined above) or going down a legal route. When trying PayPal go for the 'dangerous goods' aspect.

The Far East items always look such good value, but it does pay to understand what happens if it goes wrong.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok to cut a long story short I bought my son a hoover board for his birthday from Ebay

You must be a better parent than me. Can never get my son to hoover.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    robatwork wrote: »
    You must be a better parent than me. Can never get my son to hoover.

Can you imagine though, a device kids could use that actually cleaned up as it hovered? You'd be a millionaire :rotfl:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can you imagine though, a device kids could use that actually cleaned up as it hovered? You'd be a millionaire :rotfl:

I'll invent it, then this time next year Rodney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport