Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• phyllis13
    phyllis13 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Hi, I'm hoping somebody can offer advice here.

Our TUI flight from Laem Chabang in Thailand to Gatwick on 12 December was delayed by seven hours.

I overheard one of the flight attendants informing a fellow passenger that the delay was caused by a pilot being taken ill from an earlier Manchester-bound flight. TUI used one of our Gatwick pilots to replace the one from the Manchester flight, causing our Gatwick flight to be delayed.

TUI claim that the circumstances of the delay were extraordinary, at short notice, and beyond their control.

Should we pursue our claim for compensation?

Many thanks.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes. This sounds like an operational decision
  • Thank you we used your template letter to contact Jet2.com when our flight was diverted to Alicante on the way back from Gran Canaria to Birmingham. Arrived 6 hours later than scheduled.

Less than a week after claiming we received a cheque for £665! There was a technical problem with the toilets and we had to change planes. My husband had a similar delay a few years previously and wasn’t able to claim as it was weather related.

Thank you
  • I was flying from Tenerife to Edinburgh and the flight ended up being delayed just under 3 hours. On the money saving expert website it says up to 3 hours, you may be eligible to 200 euros (displayed in a table). However when I go to fill out the form, it says must be 3+ hours. Am I eligible or not?

Appreciate any help on the matter.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was flying from Tenerife to Edinburgh and the flight ended up being delayed just under 3 hours. On the money saving expert website it says up to 3 hours, you may be eligible to 200 euros (displayed in a table). However when I go to fill out the form, it says must be 3+ hours. Am I eligible or not?

Appreciate any help on the matter.
    I suspect you have looked at the wrong table - you need the one for delayed flights (the first table) which shows no compensation for delays under 3 hours
    It appears the table you are looking at is either the one for cancelled flights or being bumped off
  • AmyM31
    AmyM31 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just looking for some advice on how to proceed with a claim. We were due to fly from Manchester to Keflavik on Thursday 9th January at 7.45 am. Approx. 12 hours before the flight we received an email to say that we were delayed until 4pm, we were advised this was due to the ‘weather’ in Keflavik. There were some delays in Keflavik, however the airport was still operating and number of flights landed/took off. At 3.20pmish we were called for boarding, Easy jet started processing boarding passes and final boarding was called. Shortly after this we were told that we were not boarding and to attend the information desk, I attended the info desk and we were sent back to board the flight. We were then all sent back to the information desk and advised to wait 2 hours, until 6pm for a further announcement. At 6pm the airline announced that we had an overnight delay until 9am the next day. We then checked in at the hotel at 9pm. We then returned to the airport for a 9am flight the following day, which was scheduled after another Easy Jet flight to Keflavik. The plane and crew were a rescue flight sent from London.

Some issues that I have with this delay are:

There was another Keflavik flight delayed with Iceland Air as it was not at Manchester, however once the aircraft arrived in Manchester it turned around and took off at 6pmish. Some passengers were told that the further delay was due to cabin/pilot issues. My insurance letter also claims weather and cabin crew welfare issue. I can’t deny the weather wasn’t windy, however it is common with the destination and the airport was operational. 5/6 Easy Jet flights landed with small delays on Thursday 9th, ours was the only one cancelled and rescheduled. In addition to this we had another overnight delay on Monday 13th due to the weather, we were not informed of the delay in advance despite other airlines moving their flight times and Easy Jet landed the same Manchester to Reykjavik flight in 70 mph winds.

I have contact with some passengers who have already had their claims rejected due to Easy Jet claiming the ‘weather’ was the issue. I believe it was more of an operational and incompetence of the airline to fulfil the route in expected weather conditions.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    A quick check with EU Claims maintains that weather was indeed the issue and therefore there is no compensation claim. It does appear they offered meals and accommodation. I am aware last week that the airport had exceptionally strong winds, which were blowing in the same direction as the runway allowing planes to land but on the ground, the crew could not unload either the bags or the passengers due to the danger of the steps blowing around and by mid-afternoon, they had to close the airport as they had no more room to park the aircraft safely. Icelandair, whose entire fleet takes off to the US in the late afternoon had to cancel the entire operation as they couldn't get passengers onto the aircraft at all
  • AmyM31
    AmyM31 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is exactly the issue we experienced on the Monday, no flights were operating out of the airport which I do not have an issue with. My issue with the Thursday flight was that ours was the only easy jet flight which was not operating and all other of their flights landed. I feel that they are using the weather as a scapegoat and the reason we couldn't take off at the delayed time was due to a crew issue.
  • There is a lot of information on flight delays caused by Airlines, what about compensation for delays caused by Airports? I had a 5hr delay in Manchester that was due to their electrics missed  my connecting flight and arrived home 24 hours later (not the airlines fault) why can we not claim for that?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Simply because there is no law to protect you in that situation, unfortunately. There are many circumstances where the finger can be pointed at the airport infrastructure, but the EU, who created the law in relation to airlines has never, to my knowledge, considered extending it and even if they did now, we are leaving in 10 months time!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback