Weather at London City on the 1st of December?

Stuart788
Stuart788 Posts: 915 Forumite
edited 9 January 2020 at 3:19PM in Flight delay compensation
Bit of a long shot but is there any way I can find records for the weather at London City airport on 31/11/2019? My airline claims that all flights before 10:30 a.m. were diverted due to fog but my friend reports that there were good weather conditions nearby.

Edit: was Saturday the 31st of November not the 1st

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,842
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are you sure you are talking about December 1st as that was a Sunday and the airport is closed until 1230 every Sunday anyway? There was certainly an issue on Saturday when many flights left late in the morning and could not get back to London City before it closed at 1230 (there is a 24 hour curfew every weekend) As a result the planes ended up at Southend and Stansted and had to wait until Sunday afternoon before returning to London City.
  • Stuart788
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    Are you sure you are talking about December 1st as that was a Sunday and the airport is closed until 1230 every Sunday anyway? There was certainly an issue on Saturday when many flights left late in the morning and could not get back to London City before it closed at 1230 (there is a 24 hour curfew every weekend) As a result the planes ended up at Southend and Stansted and had to wait until Sunday afternoon before returning to London City.

Apologies! Yes it was Saturday the 31st! So, I take it I wouldn't be able to make a claim?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Forumite
    Saturday appears to have had a serious issue with the weather in the morning, all the BA planes appear to have been delayed as a result, so even if the flight was not with BA, it seems there is a good defence to a claim. Sorry!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Was your airline BA Cityflyer or a non LCY based airline?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Stuart788
    richardw wrote: »
    Was your airline BA Cityflyer or a non LCY based airline?

It was a Luxair flight.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Forumite
    Stuart788 wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot but is there any way I can find records for the weather at London City airport on 31/11/2019? My airline claims that all flights before 10:30 a.m. were diverted due to fog but my friend reports that there were good weather conditions nearby.

Edit: was Saturday the 31st of November not the 1st

I can’t comment on that day, but city airport is near the Thames river.
    If your friends were in the city of London not far away then the weather could indeed have been different.

Do you have travel insurance?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Forumite
    Luxair use the Dash 8 plane on that route, far less able to fly in bad weather than BA's jets so I suspect the plane never took off from Luxembourg. I suspect you are going to reach a dead end here
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    It can't have been the 31st November as there are only 30 days in November. The final Saturday was the 30th which is clearly the date the OP is asking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure