Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nwc389 wrote: »
    I was just about to change to this tariff this morning but changed my mind when I saw the bit about smart meters. I read it the same as you - that I would agree to be contacted. However the way it was worded did put me off and so I have stayed on my old tariff .

Hello nwc389 and I'm sorry our smart meter messaging caused you concern.

With most of our recent tariffs, including those currently available through our website or the Price Comparison sites, customers don't have to accept smart meters. They only agree to be contacted about them. Smart meters are optional and customers can turn down our offers to fit them and stay on their chosen tariff. The relevant T&C on these tariffs is section 11.1 which says the following.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

As I mentioned to Lappleby3 above, I've been sending posts like yours and similar ones to those at E.ON responsible for our smart meter messaging. I'll include your comments in my next report.

Many thanks for your feedback nwc389.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Malc and Helena,

I have today had a "chat" with one of Eon's reps about Eon See. I asked how it can possibly know how much energy I use on various things (especially cooking) when presumably, it does not know what type of cooker I have. I could be cooking over an open fire in the back garden for all Eon See knows, couldn't I?

Just for a change, the chat person had no clue what the answer was and made not the slightest effort nor showed the slightest interest in finding out. Pretty much all I received was, "It knows, I don't". I don't accept this for one second.

Someone, somewhere in Eon programs this damned thing; some bot does not know what energy I use for what unless I tell it, which I make a point of not doing. As far as I am concerned, it is absolutely none of my provider's business what I use energy for, only that I pay for it, which I do.

In principle, if I want to run a takeaway from my kitchen and cook crystal meth in my shed, Eon have nothing to say about it. (Just so y'all know, I do neither of these things and never would)

My question remains: How does this See thing think it knows how much I spend on what? Perhaps more to the point, will Eon ever address the woeful quality of its customer service reps, present company absolutely excepted?
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Unfortunately you agreed to be contacted about having smart meters installed , so the supplier is contacting you about having smart meters installed.

You say you have it in writing from the supplier that you do not need to agree to such an installation.

But that does not prevent the supplier contacting you in line with the agreement you willingly entered into.

If you no longer wish to be contacted about having smart meters installed, contact the supplier who will move you to a tariff that is not dependant on accepting this requirement, and should then agree to reduce the contacts if that is your issue, and you explain why.

Unfortunately, the government & regulator are pushing suppliers to encourage consumers to accept smart metering (despite it not being an obligation of the consumer to accept them), so you will still receive some contact, but it should reduce significantly.

There are currently a limited number of suppliers, which tend to be the newer/smaller ones, that do not yet support smart metering. So if you switch to them, they won't be contacting you immediately about having a smart meter installed, but all suppliers will have to offer them in the near future.

Indeed, the regulator sets targets for suppliers to meet for the installation of smart metering, and will sanction suppliers that fail.

Hello EnergyRookie and you're spot on about our obligations concerning smart meters.

We need to be able to offer smart meters to all our residential customers as well as letting them know about any significant developments with the roll-out that might be of interest to them.

As I mentioned to Lappleby3 earlier, smart meters are optional and I totally accept there are some who won't ever want them. These customers can either ignore the messages or arrange with our Outcome Management team for an opt-out. As above, we might still need to be in touch at some point as per our obligations; it's just that the timings of this contact will be adjusted so they're much less frequent than now.

Customers on a number of our tariffs (particularly the Fix Online range) who have agreed only to be contacted about smart meters can turn down these meters and stay on their chosen tariff for the remainder of the agreement.

Hope this explains EnergyRookie.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Hi Malc and Helena,

I have today had a "chat" with one of Eon's reps about Eon See. I asked how it can possibly know how much energy I use on various things (especially cooking) when presumably, it does not know what type of cooker I have. I could be cooking over an open fire in the back garden for all Eon See knows, couldn't I?

Just for a change, the chat person had no clue what the answer was and made not the slightest effort nor showed the slightest interest in finding out. Pretty much all I received was, "It knows, I don't". I don't accept this for one second.

Someone, somewhere in Eon programs this damned thing; some bot does not know what energy I use for what unless I tell it, which I make a point of not doing. As far as I am concerned, it is absolutely none of my provider's business what I use energy for, only that I pay for it, which I do.

In principle, if I want to run a takeaway from my kitchen and cook crystal meth in my shed, Eon have nothing to say about it. (Just so y'all know, I do neither of these things and never would)

My question remains: How does this See thing think it knows how much I spend on what? Perhaps more to the point, will Eon ever address the woeful quality of its customer service reps, present company absolutely excepted?

Hello Smodlet and I'm sorry the Live Chatter you spoke to wasn't able to give you any information about the E.ON See.

E.ON See is an online tool that shows the energy you're using and how much you're spending. Like many of these tools, it's only as good as the information we hold. You're right, unless you tell us, there's no way we can know, or should know, how much energy you're spending on specific activities like cooking your Sunday lunch. Even if you did tell us, much of the individual energy breakdown is built around averages based on what you've said and information taken from similar properties and circumstances.

For the best results, I recommend entering meter readings in the first week of every month and requesting a bill. E.ON See will take around 2 weeks to pull the information from your bills to the graphs.

To tailor the results a little more, there's a questionnaire where you can tell us, if you wish, about your home. It asks for things like the type of property, number of rooms/occupiers, build date and if there are any specific services such as solar panels and electric vehicle charging points. To refine the results further, you can add details about heating and insulation; as well as information about appliances, lighting, TVs etc. It's up to you how much or how little you want to tell us.

Once we have the details, we can apply prices and usage from the bills to give a graphical display of your energy use broken down into electricity and gas.

In some part, E.ON See is only an estimate of how much is being spent on energy. With readings we can give accurate overall figures; whilst for things like cooking and lighting, this can only be an estimate. The aim of the tool is to help identify trends and changes in energy use so customers are alerted to any potential issues. It then goes on to give energy saving tips that might be more suited to particular circumstances.

New customers will only be able to see their energy use after the first bill. Each month we'll update the consumption information so customers can compare their usage month to month.

As I say, for all customers whether existing or new, the more information we have the better the results.

Hope this explains Smodlet and sorry again our advisor wasn't able to help. I'll be talking to the manager of our Live Chatters next week and will mention this. It sounds like additional training might be in order.

Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help and have a good weekend.

Malc
  • Hi @Malc from Eon. Thanks to taking the time to reply. Unfortunately...

a) after I got put on the "opt out list" and was assured I wouldn't be contacted about Smart meters for 3 months, I was contacted again in less than 7 days and there has been no let up in the hassling of me since. This supposed "opt out" option is clearly just a ruse by Eon to sound like they are listening.
    b) I've had 3 separate emails between Tues and Friday (today) ALL telling me I have agreed to have Smart meters installed. I have replied to each pointing out their inaccuracy. Eon have confirmed in writing (when challenged) that I haven't agreed to any installation. I've only agreed to be contacted.

@Malc - this Eon tactic has been going on for months (look back at these boards). The argument you present that "communications just haven't caught up with the Ts&Cs of the current Fix Online tariffs" just looks sillier by the day! I suppose I just have to take heart that the frequency of the contacts and the fact they are all simply wrong and deliberately misleading just helps strengthen the information going to the Energy Ombudsman.
  • Smodlet
    Lappleby3, I believe there is a way to block texts on your mobile phone (says she, who does not even own one) but someone must know how; I bet Gerry1 does. Equally, you can just delete emails or even set up a rule to dump those from certain senders in your Junk folder and (I think) automatically delete them. Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I think I managed to do this. :o

I, too, became very annoyed when I received the "make an appointment to have your smart meters fitted" letter even though Malc had assured dozens of posters it was not a requirement by that point. For some reason, I received only a couple of communications in total: Maybe they can tell a stubborn mare when they come across one. :D

If you check out your t's and c's, paragraph 11.1 (it is etched on the brain cell, how sad is that?) and it says only that you have agreed to be contacted, I suggest you raise a complaint with Eon directly. As soon as you mention the C-word (compensation) they seem to realise you are not someone they can just bully. HTH.
  • Iv been with eon for a few months now,so far so good but one issue is the cheap energy clubs comparison tool. It still showing my last supplier and switch in progress. This means I can't use the comparison tool to change supplier. Any idea as to rectify this?
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2019 at 6:59AM
    Hi Malc

Although I did not ask the original question I thought your reply in post 1555 was very informative. Thanks.

I have been with E ON since April and have been using E.ON See for the last few months and find it very good.

My previous supplier gave me monthly invoices based on actual usage from my SMETS1 smart meter. Because my smart meter is now dumb E.ON See has helped fill the void.

I think it's essential to keep up with actual usage at this time of year especially because energy bills can get out hand. Quite a few of the posts on this forum back this up.

One big problem I have had with E,ON is that you are showing my anticipated gas usage 2000kWh less than my average usage over the last few years. I brought this up with your online chat and was told nothing could be done about it until I have been with you a year. Surely that is not correct?
  • Smodlet
    edited 7 December 2019 at 5:11PM
    Call200 wrote: »
    Iv been with eon for a few months now,so far so good but one issue is the cheap energy clubs comparison tool. It still showing my last supplier and switch in progress. This means I can't use the comparison tool to change supplier. Any idea as to rectify this?

Hi Call200. I had exactly this issue recently. The only way to resolve it is to contact the CEC. To be fair, it is not Eon's/any provider's job to chase this up; why should they? They are in no hurry to pay commission to MSE and, until they have, we get zip.

I mentioned to the CEC team that the wording about cashback being paid "after 3 months" might be a tad misleading since they now give themselves 6 months to pay it. Strangely enough, my "Switch in Progress" flag disappeared and the cash back was paid within three weeks of this suggestion... Only took 4 months and a week from my actual switch date.

This site has gone to hell in a handbasket since :money: sold it, imo. The cashback actually comes from Money Supermarket, who bought it so no surprise the amount has reduced and the time to receive it has doubled. HTH.
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just had a email from my present supplier regarding my switch and these words.

Your final bill
    "To produce your final bill please give your meter reading when your new supplier asks for it.
    To make sure the switch goes through smoothly, please make sure you pay any balance which may be due".

I would have thought i had to give my present supplier the meter reading just before the day the switch takes place to produce my final bill?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback