What small DFW things will you do w/c 20th Jan?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!:money:

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Quick post for me before I get the test of the family up. I have an appointment today which will involve a planned spend but hoping I can claim some back through an insurance policy. If not it can come from savings. Will use my CC to get some points and then pay it off. Other things:

More washing shuffles
    Meals from stores, leftovers for lunches
    Vacuum through
    Mop 2 bathrooms
    De clutter a few items
    Find a bag for the charity shop items (several are quite awkward/heavy) and put in car so I can drop off when passing
    Possibly call in to a branch of a shop in another town on way back from appointment if friend whose taking me doesn’t mind and get something as our branch doesn’t stock them and I’m not paying postage to order them online ;)
    Put a plant I was gifted at Christmas outside as it says it can be outside and will last 12 months. Let’s see.
    Check banking, update sheet
    Reconcile just for points cc
    Freeze crumpets I made yesterday

Have a good day all. Purps.
  • sunflowerlady
    Options
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!:money:

I’m at the very beginning of my journey and I am afraid of this feeling!!!
    Jan 2020: Loan £3,576.17, Credit Cards £42,401.86, Store Card £1,833.61, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £50,111.64 / 1% = £501.12

Jun 2020 Update: Loan £1,925.63, Credit Cards £37,541.74Overdrafts £1,540.00 Total Debt: £41,007.37 / 1% = £410.07

Jan 2021 Update: Credit Cards £34,189.49, Overdrafts £900 Total Debt: £35,089.49 / 1% = £350.89
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2020 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for the start Purple Fairy :)
    ((Hugs)) Sunflower lady, stay with us, but don't hesitate to start a separate thread on the DFW board as well, if you want specific debt advice.
    Cold and frosty here today, and had a gloomy start to the week hearing that the wife of one of OH's friends had died :( I only met her once, as OH's friend is a golfing buddy rather than a joint friend as such, but she seemed a really nice lady. She had been suffering from cancer, but there didn't seem to be any indication that it was terminal :(
    Anyway, today I must return my new laptop as it keeps cutting out. Not sure how much hassle that will be, but it is no good as it is. Got the old one out again, which mostly works. Done, surprisingly painless. Trouble is they had run out of the sale ones, which is what I had bought, so had to add more cash to buy a more expensive one. So far so good!
    Apart from that:
    Home grown fruit with porridge for cheapie breakfast Done
    Fold washing on airer and put in airing cupboard Done
    I have 2 more loads to peg out, hopefully. Even a short time outside, if it is dry, makes a difference, and the washing smells much fresher. Now in and on airer
    Usual tidy round, not sure if DD will be round today. I must ring her and offer to look after GS as she has an inspection thing this week (she is a part time FE teacher) and will need some time to prep. No DD today, but I have arranged to have GS tomorrow to give her a few hours prep time
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Banks done, still need to do spreadsheet
    Meals will be from stores Beans on toast for lunch and HM fishcakes to use up leftover mash - just added tinned fish, some parsley from the garden and a few capers from the fridge - with potato wedges, peas and the remains of the HM coleslaw
    No plans to spend anything today (though I might need fuel in the car come to think of it) Fuel, balance of second more expensive laptop, and OH wanted beer :eek:
    Hope everyone has a good day.
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2020 at 2:37PM
    Options
    Morning all and thanks for this weeks thread PF.
    SunflowerLady, the small things really do help, I hope you stick with us.
    Dawn, What a sad way to start the week.
    :wave: to all who follow

Todays list
    :grinheart Cancelled gym session as I didn't feel up to it but have been out for a walk around the block for some fresh air instead. Its such a cold, crisp morning it looked really beautifu (and I was thankful for the boots a friend had given me last week as I didn't slip on the icy pavement - I'd had trainers on when I first went out of the door and had slipped 3 times before reaching the end of my driveway!) ✅
    :grinheart Been to aldee and icyland with my list ✅ just need to get it all put away now ✅
    :grinheart Clean the front of the garage door as its meant to be white but looking very green from the tree debris ✅
    :grinheart Check banking & update spreadsheet ✅
    :grinheart Triage fridge to make sure nothing is going to waste ✅ froze some ys sausages that we should have used for brunch yesterday but forgot! ✅
    :grinheart Make mashed potato to go with the last of the beef brisket for tonights meal ✅
    :grinheart Make families lunches for tomorrow (must check how many days of treats left - date cake is already chopped into chunks but might need to make something else:2 days worth of date cake left so I'll make something next time I put the oven on instead ✅ )
    :grinheart Put a wash on the quick 30 degree wash ✅
    :grinheart Run the dishwasher on the quick wash ✅ and empty ✅
    :grinheart Continue decluttering
    :grinheart Heating off til the kids are home at the earliest (I'm happily sat here with 2 jumpers on but once I get moving I'll get warmed up again)
    :grinheart Empty the dehumidifier and put the water in the toilet cistern ✅
    :grinheart Update the freezer inventory ✅
    :grinheart Hung washing on the airer ✅

That's my start, have a good day all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Today I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Take lunch to work
    * Park for free and walk to mile to work
    * Continue eating OOD cereal with communal milk at work
    * Update spreadsheet with spends
    * Make list for the week of bits I need to do
    * Go for run at lunch
    * Check OP/PA
    * Set up savings account
    * Set up automatic "save the change" to new savings account
    * Use charity bag as bin liner
    * Make meal plan
    * Make shopping list
    * Shop to list
    * Dinner from stores
    * Count up piggy bank

That's everything I can think of for now. Hope you all have a good day.
    Starting again..
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    good morning

a new week again
    I feel your pain Dawn re old lap top my one is on it last legs hoping another few months before I need to replace mine

today's to do
    all meals from stores
    another NSD
    check banks
    collect meds
    do a menu for the week

have a great day xxxlppxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 January 2020 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Afternoon all

Dawn - that's sad news :(

Thanks to Purps for starting us off

Hello to sunflowerlady! It does get easier we promise :)

Had a good look at the budget last night, which is looking surprisingly healthy owing to my illnesses as we haven't been anywhere or done anything! I'm feeling fairly chipper today so I'm going to try and enjoy it while it lasts!!

Normal list today:
    :heartpuls B/L/D from stores - done
    :heartpuls Check PMP - done
    :heartpuls Charge phone in work - done
    :heartpuls Heating off - only on for a little bit
    :heartpuls Poss some knitting
    :heartpuls Might pop into B&M on the way home for some seeds.

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Daphne16
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Long-time lurker, no-time poster here... On a DFW journey paying back £14,000.

My finances are now in order to pay these off through DD over time... now its seeing where I can save/earn more to pay back more quickly.

I'm enjoying reading your to-do lists! Very creative. For me, I have a central focus that week and that's no-spend until Wednesday. Wednesday is my payday and it will be the first time in years I am getting paid while I am still in credit! £0.60 in credit, but it's still credit!!

2020 for me is a real push on living within my means...
  • sunflowerlady
    Options
    Daphne16 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    Long-time lurker, no-time poster here... On a DFW journey paying back £14,000.

My finances are now in order to pay these off through DD over time... now its seeing where I can save/earn more to pay back more quickly.

I'm enjoying reading your to-do lists! Very creative. For me, I have a central focus that week and that's no-spend until Wednesday. Wednesday is my payday and it will be the first time in years I am getting paid while I am still in credit! £0.60 in credit, but it's still credit!!

2020 for me is a real push on living within my means...

Hi there!

I’m only a week old here but you’re right, it’s inspiring reading everyone’s ideas.

Good luck
    Jan 2020: Loan £3,576.17, Credit Cards £42,401.86, Store Card £1,833.61, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £50,111.64 / 1% = £501.12

Jun 2020 Update: Loan £1,925.63, Credit Cards £37,541.74Overdrafts £1,540.00 Total Debt: £41,007.37 / 1% = £410.07

Jan 2021 Update: Credit Cards £34,189.49, Overdrafts £900 Total Debt: £35,089.49 / 1% = £350.89
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Frugalistas,
    I usually like to pop on here on Monday morning to set out the shape of my moneysaving week, but I just didn't get a chance today, as had things I needed to do ready for workmen arriving.
    This week's frugalities will be around the following areas:
    *Getting as much useful stuff done as possible while I have to be at home for workmen. This will involve tackling a few tasks I've been putting off, such as washing down grubby kitchen units.
    *Decide what we'd like to grow this year - esp food - & check seed box to see what will need buying.
    *Research exterior masonry paint colours for best prices & measure a few things for re-covering with new fabric.
    *Keep all budget pots straight to make my Big Budget Day next week easier.
    *Continue my current research project - no spending expected, except for a couple of large photo albums.
    *Get organised for February's birthdays.
    *Continue use-it-ups, as there are still small amounts of things hanging around...... Ideally I'd build on this by doing a new freezer list.
    I think it is always more difficult to achieve a lot when workmen are coming & going, needing to ask questions & to be supplied with cups of tea, but I want to get as much done as possible.
    Stay warm all - icy today.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure