Tesco relaunches 'Clubcard Prices' - but are they any good? - MSE News

Tesco's Clubcard Prices promotion, which offers Clubcard holders discounts of between 10% and 50% on almost 300 items, is back again. Whilst the savings aren't huge, if you're buying these items at Tesco anyway then showing your Clubcard, or getting one if you don't have one, is a no-brainer - see our full analysis below...
Read the full story:
'Tesco relaunches 'Clubcard Prices' - but are they any good?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Still much more expensive, and much more time consuming (online apart) than Aldi and Lidl - unless, bizarrely, you’ve got a hang up on overpriced branded goods.

Nothing to tempt back anyone looking for quality, value and speed.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Still much more expensive, and much more time consuming (online apart) than Aldi and Lidl - unless, bizarrely, you’ve got a hang up on overpriced branded goods.

Nothing to tempt back anyone looking for quality, value and speed.

I went to a Lidl and was surprised at how tatty it was and how expensive it was to be honest. (And an awful lot of branded goods.)

It was like a badly organised jumble sale and one that I dont relish repeating.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Doc_N
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    I went to a Lidl and was surprised at how tatty it was and how expensive it was to be honest. (And an awful lot of branded goods.)

It was like a badly organised jumble sale and one that I dont relish repeating.

I think you're in a small minority there - perhaps it was a long time ago. The modern stores are on a par with any of their competitors.

Are you sure it was Lidl? They do have some branded goods, for which they're often uncompetitive, but not that many.

Which? Top Supermarkets for shopping instore:

Waitrose (3,878) 76%
    Marks & Spencer (2,818) 71%
    Aldi (3,233) 68%
    Lidl (3,072) 66%
    Morrisons (3,160) 64%
    Sainsbury's (4,330) 63%
    Tesco (4,273) 59%
    Iceland (1,260) 57%
    Asda (2,601) 56%

Sample size in brackets, with overall % scores from Which? readers - not known for liking tatty stores with high prices!
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I really don't know why commenting on this MSE article has to be split between Facebook and this very own forum of MSE itself. The same comments don't appear, either, so the flow of information is impeded thanks to the site's inexplicable affinity with Zuckerberg's soshal meeja.

I clicked the submit button in the comments section immediately following on from the MSE article, but was asked for my Facebook log-in details. Downright bizarre: if this is the way this site is being run these days, those in charge need to get back to school. (or perhaps they still are, in view of the wholly unnecessary linkage to the mindlessness of Facebook.)
    Anyway, my comment which I would've posted in those other comments, but couldn't, is this:

There's a lot of shelf clearing going on at all UK supermarkets in the wake of Christmas/New Year.

Tesco's touted generosity has as much to do with getting rid as it does of appearing to be nice to customers.

As Jenny Griffin rightly points out, the 35cl offers -- of which there seem to be more than a dozen online -- are ridiculous: if Tesco hadn't over-ordered an absurd amount of those parsimonious little bottles in vain hope of profiting considerably in last-minute Christmas shopping sprees, the business wouldn't now be stuck with so many unsold bottles that it's having to list just about every known brand so as to get rid and reclaim some shelf space.

Punters aren't stupid, though sadly, Tesco seems to think they are.This latest Clubcard 'sale' promotion isn't worth the time and energy required to read all about it, still less bother buying anything from it.

Sorry if the reference to poster Jenny Griffin makes no sense here, but as I'm not responsible for the incomprehensible management of this aspect of the MSE website, it'll have to remain a mystery.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think you're in a small minority there - perhaps it was a long time ago. The modern stores are on a par with any of their competitors.

Are you sure it was Lidl? They do have some branded goods, for which they're often uncompetitive, but not that many.

Which? Top Supermarkets for shopping instore:

Waitrose (3,878) 76%
    Aldi (3,233) 68%
    Lidl (3,072) 66%
    Morrisons (3,160) 64%
    Sainsbury's (4,330) 63%
    Tesco (4,273) 59%
    Iceland (1,260) 57%
    Asda (2,601) 56%

Sample size in brackets, with overall % scores from Which? readers - not known for liking tatty stores with high prices!

I probably am in a minority to be honest.

I really dont like Aldi or Lidl to be honest, its not a nice shopping experience in my opinion.

My nan used to swear by Lidl but recently has changed to Tesco as she too was fed up with the store, rudeness of shoppers, not a lot of stock and really uncompetitive prices on what she buys. She also now likes the variety at Tesco that you dont get in her small Aldi store.

Each to their own though x
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

The nearest Lidl to me (8 miles in the opposite direction to most other supermarkets) is of the ‘jumble sale’ variety. Whenever I’ve been in there’s only ever been a handful of customers.
    I can’t understand how they’re still in business - I can only put it down to the OAP community’s enthusiasm for the tat in the middle aisle :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Doc_N
    The nearest Lidl to me (8 miles in the opposite direction to most other supermarkets) is of the ‘jumble sale’ variety. Whenever I’ve been in there’s only ever been a handful of customers.
    I can’t understand how they’re still in business - I can only put it down to the OAP community’s enthusiasm for the tat in the middle aisle :huh:

You've obviously not seen the bright, modern, large stores of recent years taking so much trade away from Tesco and the others - even Waitrose. OAP community? I don't think so - unless they've taken to driving expensive Audis, BMWs and Mercs!

They're very much in business, and, with Aldi, causing a lot of grief for the major supermarkets.

To repeat, the Which? Top Supermarkets for shopping instore were:

Waitrose (3,878) 76%
    Aldi (3,233) 68%
    Lidl (3,072) 66%
    Morrisons (3,160) 64%
    Sainsbury's (4,330) 63%
    Tesco (4,273) 59%
    Iceland (1,260) 57%
    Asda (2,601) 56%

Sample size in brackets, with overall % scores from Which? readers - a very middle class bunch, with an aversion for jumble sales.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2020 at 8:27AM
    You've obviously not seen the bright, modern, large stores of recent years taking so much trade away from Tesco and the others - even Waitrose. OAP community? I don't think so - unless they've taken to driving expensive Audis, BMWs and Mercs!

They're very much in business, and, with Aldi, causing a lot of grief for the major supermarkets.

To repeat, the Which? Top Supermarkets for shopping instore were:

Waitrose (3,878) 76%
    Aldi (3,233) 68%
    Lidl (3,072) 66%
    Morrisons (3,160) 64%
    Sainsbury's (4,330) 63%
    Tesco (4,273) 59%
    Iceland (1,260) 57%
    Asda (2,601) 56%

Sample size in brackets, with overall % scores from Which? readers - a very middle class bunch, with an aversion for jumble sales.

I just meant I don’t understand how that particular store is still in business. (Definitely no Audis, BMWs or Mercs in their car park :rotfl:)

I do understand that other parts of the country have been invested in and customers have a lot of local choice, and that people living in those areas generally assume that everyone has the same easy access to all the same stores/type of stores, that they do.
    Polls like the Which one are irrelevant if you don’t live in one of those areas.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Had a look when it was first launched and realised that it is of no benefit to me with my shopping requirements. But, given the cost of setting it all up and providing the better prices to some shoppers it is over time, bound to increase the prices to me.
  • sarah1972 wrote: »
    I probably am in a minority to be honest.

I really dont like Aldi or Lidl to be honest, its not a nice shopping experience in my opinion.

My nan used to swear by Lidl but recently has changed to Tesco as she too was fed up with the store, rudeness of shoppers, not a lot of stock and really uncompetitive prices on what she buys. She also now likes the variety at Tesco that you dont get in her small Aldi store.

Each to their own though x

I am with you on this. We bought loads of fruit and veg cause everyone kept banging on about Aldi to us and it was literally all mouldy and crap 2 days later so that was a great example of the "superior quality" i'd been promised.

I didn't notice the price was especially cheaper either and STILL had to go to Tescos anyway to get other stuff I like that Aldi don't do.

Plus the ridiculous way they chuck all your stuff through as fast as they possibly can and you then have to bag it yourself, or quickly shove it in your trolley to go do yourself. It's just stupid IMO.

I just stick to Tescos now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport