Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Comments

• jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    £100 spend at Sainsburys would get you TOTALLY FREE delivery any time midweek.

Delivery Information

Get free delivery on orders over £100 delivered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. You could still get delivery from £3.50 when you spend just £40. Orders below £40 will be delivered for a £6 charge.

Just asked her mate, nope. Not interested in shopping online.

Just to clarify your stance, so tell me if Im wrong. You freely admit that UW have very expensive energy tariffs which you have to use because your wife forbids any online tariffs or telephone interaction with an alternative supplier? If I've misinterpreted you views please feel free to correct any mistakes, thanks.
  • jimexbox wrote: »
    Just asked her mate, nope. Not interested in shopping online.

Just to clarify your stance, so tell me if Im wrong. You freely admit that UW have very expensive energy tariffs which you have to use because your wife forbids any online tariffs or telephone interaction with an alternative supplier? If I've misinterpreted you views please feel free to correct any mistakes, thanks.

Oh dear, jimexbox, I was joking. I know this is the internet but surely that was clear? :D If you can't persuade your missus to save over £300 a year on your own utilities, how can you possibly hope to persuade strangers on the internet? :confused:

£6500 a year on groceries/fuel and you just pay for it on the normal debit card??
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • jimexbox
    Oh dear, jimexbox, I was joking. I know this is the internet but surely that was clear? :D If you can't persuade your missus to save over £300 a year on your own utilities, how can you possibly hope to persuade strangers on the internet? :confused:

£6500 a year on groceries/fuel and you just pay for it on the normal debit card??

I would contend buying your energy is rather different than buying fresh produce online. There is no material difference between one gas unit and another. The same cannot be said of fresh produce. I'm afraid you and I will have to accept that for some online food shopping is a step to far.

Still no one offers a coherent arguments to why any UW customer uses their 5% discount card against a very expensive energy product. Even you carmine has to admit that the upfront costs of energy supplied by UW are totally uncompetitive. You need to spend heavily on the card to achieve a reasonable discount on your energy to even compete with online and non-online tariffs. I mean UW are down there with the 'tree hugging' tariffs.

Would it not make sense to use the 5% UW discount against other UW products, then choose a far cheaper online tariff. I honestly think this a fair and reasonable question which so far has definitely not been answered satisfactorily.
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    jimexbox wrote: »
    I would contend buying your energy is rather different than buying fresh produce online. There is no material difference between one gas unit and another. The same cannot be said of fresh produce. I'm afraid you and I will have to accept that for some online food shopping is a step to far.

Still no one offers a coherent arguments to why any UW customer uses their 5% discount card against a very expensive energy product. Even you carmine has to admit that the upfront costs of energy supplied by UW are totally uncompetitive. You need to spend heavily on the card to achieve a reasonable discount on your energy to even compete with online and non-online tariffs. I mean UW are down there with the 'tree hugging' tariffs.

Would it not make sense to use the 5% UW discount against other UW products, then choose a far cheaper online tariff. I honestly think this a fair and reasonable question which so far has definitely not been answered satisfactorily.

The reason I pay an extra 9.00 per month with UW is simple. I like receiving 1 bill for all my utilities, I like paying just for monthly useage, I like the fact that the customer service has always been excellent and you get to speak to a person you can understand.

I would never sign up to an online tariff as they are to complicated to understand (there has been a thread started quite recently on this forum about the dubious tactics they use!) I'm not that savvy when it comes to utility companies and find it all rather complicated.

Thats my reason for paying a whole 9.00 per month extra!
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 27 August 2009 at 8:48AM
    Here's a sobering thought, jimexbox (I hope!). Someone with the same consumption as you, same annual grocery/fuel spend in the same area but a UW customer taking gas, electric, phone, broadband but using the cashback card at Sainsburys would be paying £70 per year less than you currently do for your utilities*. In addition to what you get with Eon, BT and Be Broadband, they would also get potentially 3x faster BB, ALL calls included (incl 0845/0870 and 10 international destinations), monthly paper bill, no ridiculous min. terms (and definitely no immoral rolling contracts), no exit fees (just £50 on phone/Bb if you leave within 12 months) or sneaky 'no discount on final bill' T&Cs.

* Realistically this would be even more as this only takes into account spending at Sainsburys but in reality there would normally be some level of spending at the other 29 or so High street names throughout the course of a year. Plus, of course, even though I know you make free calls from work, I'm sure there must be times when you simply have to make chargeable BT calls.
    Call me Carmine....

• jimexbox
    janninew wrote: »
    The reason I pay an extra 9.00 per month with UW is simple. I like receiving 1 bill for all my utilities, I like paying just for monthly useage, I like the fact that the customer service has always been excellent and you get to speak to a person you can understand.

I would never sign up to an online tariff as they are to complicated to understand (there has been a thread started quite recently on this forum about the dubious tactics they use!) I'm not that savvy when it comes to utility companies and find it all rather complicated.

Thats my reason for paying a whole 9.00 per month extra!

So you are willing to pay vastly more, which is of course your choice, for a monthly bill? Having an online account couldn't be easier, you can check billing, account credit/debit anytime you wish in real time rather than waiting for a paper bill.

Each to his own, but £257 a year extra it would cost for monthly billing is ridiculous.
    So you are willing to pay vastly more, which is of course your choice, for a monthly bill? Having an online account couldn't be easier, you can check billing, account credit/debit anytime you wish in real time rather than waiting for a paper bill.

Each to his own, but £257 a year extra it would cost for monthly billing is ridiculous.

I again come back to my earlier point - how can you say stuff like this when we have already established you could save over £300 a year on your utilities but won't do it? :confused: Why not walk the walk instead of continually talking the talk?

PS Online billing can't be that easy, jimexbox - you thought Eon paid your discount annually. :p
    Call me Carmine....

• jimexbox
    I again come back to my earlier point - how can you say stuff like this when we have already established you could save over £300 a year on your utilities but won't do it? Why not walk the walk instead of continually talking the talk?

The discount achieved would be around £350. If I chose UW gas and electricity, £257 of this would be used just matching my current tariff. Leaving only £93 to offset against the UW phone and broadband service.

Why not use the entire £350 against the phone and broadband products. It would make no sense using £257 of this discount achieving my current predicted spend on gas and electricity. If you could explain why it would feel free.....
    The discount achieved would be around £350. If I chose UW gas and electricity, £257 of this would be used just matching my current tariff. Leaving only £93 to offset against the UW phone and broadband service.

Why not use the entire £350 against the phone and broadband products. It would make no sense using £257 of this discount achieving my current predicted spend on gas and electricity. If you could explain why it would feel free.....

I wasn't trying to get you to leave your beloved Eon, jimexbox. :eek: My point is you have lots to say about UW punters on here not potentially getting the best deal but the problem for you is we all know you could transfer your phone/BB only to UW tomorrow and get it for free - saving over £300 a year. You won't do it. That hints at someone not practicising what they preach. We also know you pay out £6500 a year on groceries/fuel but derive absolutely zilch extra benefit from this large outlay. What I'm trying to say is you're not the most impressive example of serious moneysaving to be giving out moneysaving sermons on here...are you?
    Call me Carmine....

• jimexbox
    I wasn't trying to get you to leave your beloved Eon, jimexbox. :eek: My point is you have lots to say about UW punters on here not potentially getting the best deal but the problem for you is we all know you could transfer your phone/BB only to UW tomorrow and get it for free - saving over £300 a year. You won't do it. That hints at someone not practicising what they preach. We also know you pay out £6500 a year on groceries/fuel but derive absolutely zilch extra benefit from this large outlay. What I'm trying to say is you're not the most impressive example of serious moneysaving to be giving out moneysaving sermons on here...are you?

Have you suddenly been transported back in time? I've already explained in very simple language that there is no suitable size Sainburys in my area, and no petrol station. My wife will not shop for food online, end of story, even you should be able to understand this.

Now please answer my above point re. using any discount wisely , i.e. not on gas and electricity, to achieve the best saving. You simply ignore this salient point......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure