ESA Support Group to UC

Options
13»

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two messages in journal are standard system generated and would go to anyone. UC and ESA are on different IT systems, with not much communication between them.

It sounds like you were in receipt of ESA income based benefit, which would end following you claiming UC.

When it says our records show that you are getting ESA, this may simply be that the central DWP database has not been updated with the ESA claim closure yet. DWP have a central database which records basic information from various IT systems to record what benefits are in payment. There can be a delay between a benefit such as ESA closing and this central database being updated.

I would not worry too much. Any ESA support (LCWRA) group entitlement being transferred to UC can take a few weeks. If it is not showing on your UC statement when this is added to your claim, just give UC a call on 0800 328 5644. Statements are added to UC claims online about 4 days after the end of the assessment period.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2019 at 8:01AM
    Options
    As previously noted whether or not you continue to get ESA should not affect the total amount of money you get.

However, if you wish to clarify matters, if you look through all your old ESA letters it should be possible to see if you were on contribution based ESA or not. If you don’t have the letters, or you don’t understand them, but think that you started on contribution based ESA then ring ESA and ask them to talk you through the history of your ESA claim.

If you met the NI contribution conditions at the time you claimed ESA and were put into Support Group following your assessment and have remained in it throughout then you should still be getting contribution based ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »

If you met the NI contribution conditions at the time you claimed ESA and were put into Support Group following your assessment and have remained in it throughout then you should still be getting contribution based ESA.
    Just out of curiosity, (i'm not questioning your advice here) What if the OP was in the WRAG to begin with, then transferred to IB after 365 days. Fast forward a couple of years and they were then placed into the Support Group, would their ESA then revert back to CB with an income related top up? Or would they remain on Income Related because of the time in the WRAG? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
  • alwayssmile123
    Options
    Many thanks Huckster and Calcotti. I am due to get my statement tomorrow, so it will be clearer what's going on.

Calcotti, I've just found my last ESA letter, which seems to be based on my reassessment, and although the letter does not state If it is income based or contribution based, the breakdown at the end does say: which gives a total income related amount of £125.55, so I guess that confirms I was on income related.

I'm not too bothered about about the cash flow situation but maybe I will call up ESA to find out how my entitlement evolved as I'd be surprised if I conjured up the fact that I was on contribution based Support group. I had no breaks in this and as you mentioned, contribution based should have continued, so it might be interesting to find out why this changed.

Many thanks again for all the advice.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, (i'm not questioning your advice here) What if the OP was in the WRAG to begin with, then transferred to IB after 365 days. Fast forward a couple of years and they were then placed into the Support Group, would their ESA then revert back to CB with an income related top up? Or would they remain on Income Related because of the time in the WRAG? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
    Oddly, I was wondering about that earlier in this thread. I think the situation is that contribution based ESA expires after 365 days but time in the Support Group is ignored. Therefore in the situation you describe the entitlement to contribution based ESA would have been lost.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • alwayssmile123
    Options
    Hi all,

Haven't had a chance to call ESA as so much has been going on, some good and some problems,

I attended my appointment at the job centre and spoke to someone nice, confirmed that my ESA was transferred over (and this has been included in my first statement). He also confirmed that I would be fine to take a voluntary role with a minimum commitment, even though I am unlikely to renew lcwra, and it won't be an issue if it ends midway through this.

Had another problem with an income officer of my (social) landlord, who tried to take advantage of me and the system to not only have the housing element paid direct to them, but also claimed I had arrears, for which an amount is being deducted from my UC. complained to her manager who apologised etc. But her behaviour has left a sour taste, and I told them to leave payment of rent direct to them, though the arrears deduction will be withdrawn.

Main issue now is the payment of 2 week housing benefit run on. I have only been given 10 days (not 14), because my previous landlord, a hostel, claimed housing benefit for 4 days after I signed my new tenancy. I did not expect them to do this and if I had known would have moved out in time (they did not warn me of this). Furthermore, I only stayed 2 days extra whilst moving, and am quite upset about this.

The letters the council have sent me contradict what they have told me on the phone, but the end decision seems to be that I am only getting 10 days because of the 4 days overlap paid to last landlord.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, though I do understand it's not straight forward.

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport