Battery Electric Vehicle News / Enjoying the Transportation Revolution

Martyn1981
Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
I thought a more specific thread/title might be useful for posting news on BEV's (and EV's in general), given that we have threads to discuss the minutia about EV ownership, but perhaps a thread just for the news might be useful.

Disclaimer from the start, BEV news can easily become Tesla heavy, so posts, especially mine, might appear a bit 'fanboi' but that's really just because they tend to dominate the news. However, there seems to be an ever growing amount of competition both in terms of BEV's and BEV news.

Have fun.
Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    And straight off, the biggest news currently is probably the launch of Ford's Mustang Mach E, which is an SUV, and (I think personally) could be a huge, huge hit:

Great artists steal: Why Ford’s Mustang Mach E was inspired by Tesla in all the right ways
    Maybe they were just blowing sunshine…at me…but the Ford executives I spoke with absolutely think this is the future of the Mustang and of the wider Ford product line. They readily admit that everything Ford has done up until today in electrification was compliance focused and not at all compelling from a drive standpoint. Sorry, Focus Electric drivers.

Everything changed when Jim Hackett took over from Mark Fields as Ford CEO a little over two years ago. One Hackett quote stuck out at me at the time, and rings true after seeing the Mustang Mach E finished product:

“The biggest challenge, is to have everybody see the future,” Hackett said. “It’s our right to win there. We don’t have to cede that to anybody. Tesla, anybody.”

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    A short vid on the Arcimoto (think Twizzy on three wheels). Loads of potential for inner city commuting.

I'm sure there are better 'proper' car reviews out there, but this short vid from Gali from Hyperchange is more at my level, and shows off the vehicle as they have some fun on the streets of New York:

First FUV Test-drive In NYC! 🗽The Arcimoto Has Arrived!

• Martyn1981
    Some quick Tesla news, we have more info on the European Gigafactory,

Details About Tesla Gigafactory 4 Emerge In German Press

some tidbits on the ever growing sightings of TMY's,

More Glimpses Of Tesla Model Y Near Tesla Fremont Factory

and no link, but just a mention that the 21st is the launch date for the Tesla pickup, now named the CYBRTRK.

Could be a gamechanger, could be some sort of Blade Runner* freak that looks ridiculous, but it's going to make the news either way.

Launch date of Nov 2019 supposedly to coincide with Blade Runner. ;)

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    And straight off, the biggest news currently is probably the launch of Ford's Mustang Mach E
    Which allegedly does 1.9 miles per kWH. The very least I get form my Hyundai Kona is 3.2 miles per kWh.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Tesla
    I wonder when they'll build a Gigafactory in Africa?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Which allegedly does 1.9 miles per kWH. The very least I get form my Hyundai Kona is 3.2 miles per kWh.

1.9 miles, ouch !!
    Currently getting 3.5 in a Zoe, even at -5°C.

Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    NigeWick wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a Mustang if it didn't have rubbish mpg.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EVandPV wrote: »
    1.9 miles, ouch !!
    Currently getting 3.5 in a Zoe, even at -5°C.

It's not particularly quick either (in BEV terms)!

I'm not too sure about the interior ... although Mustang's have never set a very high bar in that respect.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which allegedly does 1.9 miles per kWH

How on earth can they know that? It's not even out in the US until 2021. If that's the number that a journalist saw on a screen after a test drive or something, ignore it - we all know we drive more economically than on a test drive, where you would specifically be testing the performance of the car. You can get 1.9 out of your car if you try hard enough!
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    How on earth can they know that? It's not even out in the US until 2021. If that's the number that a journalist saw on a screen after a test drive or something, ignore it - we all know we drive more economically than on a test drive, where you would specifically be testing the performance of the car. You can get 1.9 out of your car if you try hard enough!
    Hi

Agree .... from the breadcrumbs I've seen/read so far, the offering seems to be in ~75kWh & ~100kWh variants with suggested estimated range of 300miles+ (presumably 100kWh version) which would naturally suggest 3miles+/kWh .... all breadcrumbs of course as what's currently out there are pre-production models with the final bodywork/offerings & specifications having not been finalised or confirmed .... can't see why over 3miles/kWh shouldn't be in the right ball park though so it's likely that 1.9 is either pure petrol-head journalistic mischief or, as you say, there's more performance testing 'fun' included in the figures than the average journey would contain ... :)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure