Combi Boiler - new pipework?

We're looking at putting in a new bathroom to replace our sad old one which includes getting rid of the old airing cupboard / water tank. This means we'll need to replace our current boiler with a combi.

Does this mean that we'll need to replace the pipework from the gas meter to the boiler, or the pipework around the house for the hot water & heating system?

Just trying to figure out likely costs before we look for a builder ...

Thanks

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,059
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    If the boiler is going to be in broadly the same place then there should be minimal new pipework required. We replaced our boiler a couple of years ago and it was £1300 fitted & documented/signed off
  • maisie_cat wrote: »
    If the boiler is going to be in broadly the same place then there should be minimal new pipework required. We replaced our boiler a couple of years ago and it was £1300 fitted & documented/signed off

Was your new boiler the same type as your old one? or did you change to a combi?
  • It depends on the existing pipe run, and the combi, but combis have a much higher gas demand to provide instantaneous hot water.

The fitter will need to measure the existing pipe length and run and calculate the gas flow, but if you have existing 22mm all the way to the meter (and not shared with eg a cooker) then you are more likely to be able to use the existing gas pipe. 15mm or shared with something else and it's much more likely it'll need to be renewed.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the original gas pipe is 15mm then chances are you'll need some new pipework. We did exactly what you're planning on doing to gain bathroom space and had a whole new gas supply pipe coming from the meter, through the garage, under the utility room floor and up to the boiler. Full job was a bit more than it otherwise would have been but if it needs doing it needs doing and we're not talking 1000's more or anything.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,097
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We had our old Thorn Olympic boiler replaced with a combi,Gas Safe engineer measured gas pressure and flow,did not need bigger gas pipe.
    The heating pipework was even easier,Whole job done in less than two days.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • M2808
    M2808 Posts: 61
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I want to do exactly this so I can get a bath and separate shower in the bathroom. I have a builder who can do the wall moving etc. for me but just wondered about the cost of installing a combi boiler from a different system.
    Am I right in thinking that it would have to be a Gas Safe registered person to do this?
    Would a budget of £3000 cover this? Is it possible to do it for less? (up North/Midlands)
    Would I need to get building regs for moving the wall and doors? Do I do this before or after I do the work? What is the cost of this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure