Used Car Dealer refused repair - my options?

Comments

• dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not particularly helpful but I am looking at a used car. I hardly use a car so can't justify anything expensive, but like you have concerns about a small used car dealer. I am going to pay with credit card as I believe this gives you some extra protection from buying a dodgy car.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On a limited budget, you are better off buying privately. A dealer looks to make £4-500 profit, so a £1k car will have been bought for half that.
    A 3 month warranty on a car with nearly £100k on the clock will be of next to no help-have you studied the list of exclusions?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Eastender
    Eastender Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    update. Now he is now saying, bring the car to him, I would have to pay for gearbox fluid change, and if it doesn't cure it and then he will either pay the refund or change the transmission. I argued that he should change the ATF for free but he won't budge.

What I'm fearing is that he might ask me to pay further £150 for ATF and then if its still not sorted, then would have had an extra £150 on top of £3.5k

Now I'm going to ask for refund.
  • Eastender
    Went to the garage this afternoon to get my money back, he told me he has to deduct £250 for warranty cover which was attached to my car. I knew it was nonsense but couldn't do anything else.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eastender wrote: »
    Went to the garage this afternoon to get my money back, he told me he has to deduct £250 for warranty cover which was attached to my car. I knew it was nonsense but couldn't do anything else.
    You could have left the car, all the keys and paperwork with him, and told him to expect a court claim for a refund of the purchase price.

You can still claim the £250 warranty excess from him via the court, because this is under your statutory rights, not the warranty Ts & Cs.
  • reddwarf2002
    reddwarf2002 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You could have left the car, all the keys and paperwork with him, and told him to expect a court claim for a refund of the purchase price.

You can still claim the £250 warranty excess from him via the court, because this is under your statutory rights, not the warranty Ts & Cs.

It's better to put in a court claim for £250 than £2500. There's no guarantee that money can be recovered even if OP wins the case.
  • Eastender
    Thanks fellas, really annoyed about £250 but could claim against him in court, never done that before. He has AA Dealer Promise, showing on his website, not sure if they can help to recoup the money from them.

Now getting the Road Tax refund is a hard task.
    There is no option online for you to reclaim it as I handed my car back to the garage. I phoned DVLA and she replied that I had to write, no E-mail, yes that's right, pen and paper the old fashioned way, to them with explaining the situation.

I had to go online and purchase road tax in his garage when I took the keys but there is no option online to for refund. Now it would take up to 6 weeks to get it back. Now the Fiesta is road taxed in his garage.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Of course there's an online option.
    https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
  • Eastender
    The garage hasn't sent the log book to the DVLA and I gave the new owner slip back to the garage. So now I don't have anything. The above link does not help me much.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    First off, find out which model of Fiesta (IIRC 2009 was a change-over year) and which box you actually have. There are several marketing names, which hide very different technologies.

If this happened LITERALLY on the way home from collecting the car, then take it straight back, and brook no argument. Full refund, here and now, get on with it. If you'd had it more than 30 days, then you're outside of the right to a refund, and life gets a lot tricker - especially as soon as somebody other than the supplier puts a spanner to it.

Wasn't it September 2008.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport