Advice please!

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi stressedmummy

Having read the thread and looked at your SOA, my instincts too are that a DRO makes most sense. I wouldn't necessarily let that car valuation blow this out of the water altogether - bear in mind that will be a very general valuation and won't account for the specific condition of your vehicle. The mileage you do will probably mean the car's value is depreciating at a faster than average rate, so if it's not already worth <£1K, that may become the case quicker than you expect.

By the time you redo that SOA to incorporate some realistic amounts set aside for car maintenance/clothing/birthdays/Xmas etc. (i.e. things that might previously have been stuck on a credit card), I suspect that there'll be very little left over and so a DMP won't be viable.

On a separate note, I'm guessing that your property may have more than two bedrooms and that any housing benefit you may get only covers a smallish portion of the rent? I ask because the council tax seems very low for a property with such a high market rent value. I get it that you've no desire to move if the landlord has been charging below market rates for some time, as you may not necessarily save any money even by moving into somewhere smaller in that area.

Why not get in touch with one of the free debt advice charities like us or Stepchange as others have suggested so we can look at your options in finer detail?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Hi stressedmummy

Having read the thread and looked at your SOA, my instincts too are that a DRO makes most sense. I wouldn't necessarily let that car valuation blow this out of the water altogether - bear in mind that will be a very general valuation and won't account for the specific condition of your vehicle. The mileage you do will probably mean the car's value is depreciating at a faster than average rate, so if it's not already worth <£1K, that may become the case quicker than you expect.

By the time you redo that SOA to incorporate some realistic amounts set aside for car maintenance/clothing/birthdays/Xmas etc. (i.e. things that might previously have been stuck on a credit card), I suspect that there'll be very little left over and so a DMP won't be viable.

On a separate note, I'm guessing that your property may have more than two bedrooms and that any housing benefit you may get only covers a smallish portion of the rent? I ask because the council tax seems very low for a property with such a high market rent value. I get it that you've no desire to move if the landlord has been charging below market rates for some time, as you may not necessarily save any money even by moving into somewhere smaller in that area.

Why not get in touch with one of the free debt advice charities like us or Stepchange as others have suggested so we can look at your options in finer detail?

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Thank you Dennis.
    My house is a small 2 bed terrace, the £60 council tax is a reduced rate for low income. I guess I should give them a call then. I'm so nervous :(
  • Having looked at your SOA, I can't see that you have any option but to go for the DRO.

And I think you need to set about getting it done quickly before your situation becomes even worse.
    Thank you poppasmurf
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you're doing your best on a tight budget, other posters can advise better on how to manage on the debt side. Only place I can see where you might be able to give yourself a little more room is here:
    Mobile phone............................ 45

are you still within a 12/24month fixed term in which you got a phone? If not, you can switch to a sim only, paying only £6-10 monthly once you take cashback into account.
  • saajan_12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing your best on a tight budget, other posters can advise better on how to manage on the debt side. Only place I can see where you might be able to give yourself a little more room is here:

are you still within a 12/24month fixed term in which you got a phone? If not, you can switch to a sim only, paying only £6-10 monthly once you take cashback into account.

Thank you, yes this is the one bill I am trying to get down! There is £138 to pay off to end the contract, and then I'm ditching it for a PAYG, I would never get a contract phone again. This is the only bill I see with any wiggle room. Last year I argued my car insurance down, they tried to double it on the renewal :mad: and I have already changed energy supplier...
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you, yes this is the one bill I am trying to get down! There is £138 to pay off to end the contract, and then I'm ditching it for a PAYG, I would never get a contract phone again. This is the only bill I see with any wiggle room. Last year I argued my car insurance down, they tried to double it on the renewal :mad: and I have already changed energy supplier...

You can have a contract without buying a handset. I have an O2 contract with 5Gb of data, unlimited texts and unlimited minutes. That costs me £9 per month, which I don't thnk is bad. I also benefit from the O2 Priority moments app, which is not as good as it used to be but I can still benefit from some nice freebies / reductions (only if I was intending to purchase items anyway though :rotfl:)

I think PAYG would cost me more than that (although I haven't checked).
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    You need to up some of those categories when doing an soa in the future to get to a lower surplus than £157. You need something in car maintenance and entertainment/presents and emergency fund as you will have no access to credit. I would default immediately and divert the credit card payments to an emergency fund while you sort out the DRO. Write to your creditors and ask them to freeze interest for 30 days to give you time to sort it out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • You can have a contract without buying a handset. I have an O2 contract with 5Gb of data, unlimited texts and unlimited minutes. That costs me £9 per month, which I don't thnk is bad. I also benefit from the O2 Priority moments app, which is not as good as it used to be but I can still benefit from some nice freebies / reductions (only if I was intending to purchase items anyway though :rotfl:)

I think PAYG would cost me more than that (although I haven't checked).

Yes this is what I meant :p no handset contract
  • You need to up some of those categories when doing an soa in the future to get to a lower surplus than £157. You need something in car maintenance and entertainment/presents and emergency fund as you will have no access to credit. I would default immediately and divert the credit card payments to an emergency fund while you sort out the DRO. Write to your creditors and ask them to freeze interest for 30 days to give you time to sort it out.

Thank you, so I should write to them before starting the DRO? Would I need to include a budget in the first letter?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Make sure you open a basic account with no overdraft with a bank which is not Halifax.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure