PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC Mortgage Offer About To Expire. Help!

Hi all,

My mortgage offer expires on the 22nd ie on Sunday but HSBC says we must complete by 20th and no extension.

Tenant moved out today. The Notice of Eviction is for the 17th so we can't exchange or complete prior.

I rang HSBC to request an extension which they refused. My sol wrote them as well. However, speaking to them today they say my sol said the tenant was due to move and we're looking to exchange in August ie no date was specified.

In their response to my sols HSBC says completion must be the friday before ie 20th so I'm in fact losing 2days instead of HSBC adding 1 day to make it 23rd (Monday).

How can I appeal to HSBC to extend by a week or a few days so I don't lose about £975 in fees? They're refusing to budge on the 6months.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not a lot you can do if they refuse to extend.

Can you push for exchange/completion on the same day? What was your plan with it coming so close to the expiry date?
  • Did you go direct or via a broker?

If via a broker get them to resubmit the application if direct speak to a mortgage advisor and get them to do the same.

Then ask them to transfer everything over from the old to new applications, fees, documents and valuation. You might need to provide a few more documents if the others are out of date but providing the valuation is still in date this might be a better option. Your offer expiry date will then be the same as anyone else applying that day. You will probably have to go for a different product though as yours may no longer be available.

Hope this helps

(I am a mortgage underwriter with another lender so see this sort of thing a lot)
  • Thistle86 wrote: »
    Did you go direct or via a broker?

If via a broker get them to resubmit the application if direct speak to a mortgage advisor and get them to do the same.

Then ask them to transfer everything over from the old to new applications, fees, documents and valuation. You might need to provide a few more documents if the others are out of date but providing the valuation is still in date this might be a better option. Your offer expiry date will then be the same as anyone else applying that day. You will probably have to go for a different product though as yours may no longer be available.

Hope this helps

(I am a mortgage underwriter with another lender so see this sort of thing a lot)
    Thanks I'll give this a try. I've rang HSBC twice and on both occasions they said they won't extend it. I paid almost £1,000 in fees for this mortgage.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks I'll give this a try. I've rang HSBC twice and on both occasions they said they won't extend it. I paid almost £1,000 in fees for this mortgage.
    to whom did you pay the fees to? In most cases they are not payable if you don't actually use it i.e. on completion, when the funds are released.
  • sal_III wrote: »
    to whom did you pay the fees to? In most cases they are not payable if you don't actually use it i.e. on completion, when the funds are released.

HSBC doesn't use 3rd parties. So it was direct. I paid it to HSBC.
  • Thistle86 wrote: »
    Did you go direct or via a broker?

Hope this helps

Thanks. HSBC is happy to transfer the fee but rates are higher and it'll take a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure