PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting into a house with prepayment meters

Hi!

So my girlfriend and I have just moved into a new rented house. I'll spare you the list of problems, but one problem was that when we arrived to collect the keys, there was no active power or gas supply to the property. We quickly realised that there were prepayment gas and electricity meters installed, and as I needed power to clean the place (it was filthy) I called up npower and arranged to take over the energy supply at the property, and topped up the gas and electritcity meters by £30 each. This was one week ago.

I have sought permission through the estate agent to switch meters, and have one more week of my cooling off period to get out of whatever contract npower are locking me into.

Does anybody have any advice about how to switch to a good-value credit meter contract from here?

Thanks a lot.

Long-time reader, first-time poster :-)

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Do you mean switch providers rather than switching the type of meter you have?

providers shouldn't be too problematic to change but wanting to change meters may be a little more challenging
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You do not need permission of letting agent or landlord to change meters or to change supplier. Check with current supplier if there is debt on the meters - you may be paying it off!

Hope before your started cleaning etc you took LOADS of photos..

Artful, landlord.
  • gongor
    gongor Posts: 10 Forumite
    I took over 250 photos, and my documentation of correspondence has been so methodical it's driven me a little nuts!

I am wanting to change meter and supplier. As this is a physical change to the property, I thought I would need permission - do I definitely not need permission?

What is the best way to switch to another supplier, whilst in the cooling-off period with npower?

Thanks for your responses!
  • gongor
    Thanks for the link - I'd actually read that article, but couldn't see anything about whether I would need permission from the letting agent/landlord...
  • gongor
    Wait- I can answer that, I've just reread the clause in my tenancy agreement that requires me to ask permission to switch supplier.

So, assuming I'm granted permission, what is the best way to switch out of my current contract (agreed over the phone) during it's cooling-ff period?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gongor wrote: »
    I took over 250 photos, and my documentation of correspondence has been so methodical it's driven me a little nuts!

I am wanting to change meter and supplier. As this is a physical change to the property, I thought I would need permission - do I definitely not need permission?

What is the best way to switch to another supplier, whilst in the cooling-off period with npower?

Thanks for your responses!

I was under the impression that a change of meter would be something that the LL would want to know about.however I am happy to stand corrected by others.

Is there anything in the tenancy agreement relating to the issue of changing either supply or meter?

If you are going to change meter go with a company who don't charge an upfront fee as you probably would need to cover this yourself.
    The list of suppliers who offer a free meter switch does change so give it a google for the most up to date info
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Hey and welcome, gongor. Can tell you are new because you do not seem to have heard of MSE's Cheap Energy Club, usually referred to as the CEC: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Other comparison sites are available, of course. Personally, I find the CEC the most functional, after that, those annoying meerkats have one which is OK, MoneySupermarket (which the CEC links to if you initiate a switch and is a pita to use, imo) Go Compare et al. If you have used them for insurance, chances are they do energy providers as well.
  • gongor
    Hi Smodlet, thanks for the welcome!

I actually used CEC to set up my last supplier, but as I took over the current supply at my new place in a rush to get energy supplied to the house, I am now in the position where I have verbally agreed to a contract with the current nPower prepayment meter supplier over the phone, and I would to get out of that so I can find a cheaper credit meter supplier.

Does that make sense?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    gongor wrote: »
    Hi Smodlet, thanks for the welcome!

I actually used CEC to set up my last supplier, but as I took over the current supply at my new place in a rush to get energy supplied to the house, I am now in the position where I have verbally agreed to a contract with the current nPower prepayment meter supplier over the phone, and I would to get out of that so I can find a cheaper credit meter supplier.

Does that make sense?

Then you have my apologies, gongor. Are you still within the cooling off period (14 days, I think. I should know but don't) If so, just tell them you have changed your mind. If not, you can still switch at any time but, depending on which tariff you are on, may be liable for exit fees. If you are in a "deemed" contract with nPower because they were the existing supplier at your place, you are probably on the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) which carries no exit fees. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure