Tesco announces Clubcard Plus loyalty subscription service - MSE News

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I have no idea where you get that 10% from. Eggs are a very poor example - even Sainsbury's and Waitrose know that you price eggs as low as possible because people use that price as a yardstick.

A quick trip to Google will reveal the countless comparisons that have shown Aldi is usually (not always) the cheapest in the UK.

But just as our own dear government manipulates its 'typical shopping basket' to skew the inflation figures the way it wants, a lot depends on what you elect to buy.

With my own shopping I know for certain that the savings I make from picking Aldi over Tesco (which came 5th in the Which? Feb 2019 comparison that didn't even include Aldi and Lidl!) is in the region of 20% on a equal quality for price shop.

A few years back when Aldi were on mysupermarket I did a bit of an analysis. I found that there were loads of stuff that was pretty much the same price or that Aldi was a few pence cheaper. Ive tried many of the aldi products & for most part theyre of similar quality (some of Aldis non food products are quite poor) this is backed up by blind taste tests on programmes like eat well for less.
    Anyway, I found that a mock £40 shop in Tesco would cost about £36 in Aldi.

The thing with Aldi is that people do a shop in the main supermarkets buying big brands then go to aldi who only sell own brands then come out saying oooh Ive saved 40%. When if theyd just bought own brand in the first place the saving would be about 10%

Btw same box of eggs are £1.35 in Sainsburys.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    A few years back when Aldi were on mysupermarket I did a bit of an analysis. I found that there were loads of stuff that was pretty much the same price or that Aldi was a few pence cheaper. Ive tried many of the aldi products & for most part theyre of similar quality (some of Aldis non food products are quite poor) this is backed up by blind taste tests on programmes like eat well for less.
    Anyway, I found that a mock £40 shop in Tesco would cost about £36 in Aldi.

As I said, my own experience suggests something closer to a 20% saving. Most posters on MSE seem to claim similar savings. I would suggest your shopping basket is atypical.

As for Aldi's non-food products being 'quite poor' perhaps you could be specific? I have tried everything from washing powder to a freezer and have yet to find one that was inferior.

The thing with Aldi is that people do a shop in the main supermarkets buying big brands then go to aldi who only sell own brands then come out saying oooh Ive saved 40%. When if theyd just bought own brand in the first place the saving would be about 10%

As a former Tesco/Sainsbury's customer I have compared both supermarkets' own brand offerings with Aldi's. With few exceptions, Aldi's are superior. Aldi's business model depends on this being the case and judging by the number of shoppers leaving the big four in Aldi (and Lidl's) favour, it seems many millions of shoppers are convinced by it. They aren't all idiots.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2019 at 11:32AM
    Considering my weekly shop is typically somewhere around £80 I'd definitely save money by getting Clubcard Plus. I also save ~4% using reloadable gift cards via a work scheme (although I don't know if I can use that payment method with Clubcard Plus). Basically with Clubcard Plus and the reloadable gift cards I reckon I'd save ~£5 per ~£80 weekly shop. I suspect Lidl/Aldi would provide a bigger saving than that.

However, the problem for me is that my local Tesco is a 5 minute drive away. The nearest Aldi or Lidl is a 15 minute drive. The Tesco is right next to a Morrisons but otherwise there's no real competition around here. It also has the cheapest fuel station around here and it's in the opposite direction to my commute so filling up after a weekly shop works best for me.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Two things come to mind - one are the "excluded" items they won't give the discount on and secondly if they are likely to change the level in a few month's time to make it less of interest.

Personally, I shop mostly at Asda as their prices are comparable with the discount retailers on most items but have considerably more choice; Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons cost a lot more so only worth going to for special offers or if get money off vouchers.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Bacman wrote: »
    Two things come to mind - one are the "excluded" items they won't give the discount on and secondly if they are likely to change the level in a few month's time to make it less of interest.

I'm sure that's part of the business model. Get people hooked on something that might be of benefit, then notch up the fees or down the benefits and hope that the lazy British consumer (most are) through inertia won't get around to cancelling.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bacman wrote: »
    Personally, I shop mostly at Asda as their prices are comparable with the discount retailers on most items but have considerably more choice; Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons cost a lot more so only worth going to for special offers or if get money off vouchers.

Sorry to disillusion you but away from the very few items which supermarkets have to be competitive on, because they're frequent purchases and people tend to remember the price, Asda prices certainly aren't comparable with Aldi and Lidl.

Unless of course we're taking overpriced brands, and that's not what the so-called 'discounters' are all about.
  • karlie88 wrote: »

Tesco also regularly send us 10%-20% off conditional spend coupons, typically with week 1 coupons being £6 off £30 or £8 off £40 and the final weeks being £3/£4 off.

...but will they drop those conditional spend coupons for normal card holders and/or make them available to Clubcard Plus holders....

I'm guessing these will disappear to push people to Clubcard Plus.
  • Zero_Sum
    A._Badger wrote: »
    As I said, my own experience suggests something closer to a 20% saving. Most posters on MSE seem to claim similar savings. I would suggest your shopping basket is atypical.

As for Aldi's non-food products being 'quite poor' perhaps you could be specific? I have tried everything from washing powder to a freezer and have yet to find one that was inferior.

As a former Tesco/Sainsbury's customer I have compared both supermarkets' own brand offerings with Aldi's. With few exceptions, Aldi's are superior. Aldi's business model depends on this being the case and judging by the number of shoppers leaving the big four in Aldi (and Lidl's) favour, it seems many millions of shoppers are convinced by it. They aren't all idiots.

Bleach & shower gel are woefully watery. Toilet paper was waifer thin (Farmfoods is same price & far superior)
    I post on another football forum & there another poster also agrees with my 10% claim. I genuinly think theres a psycological thing with it & downgrading brands.

Ive made this point several times before but when they do blind taste test on programmes like eat well for less, the 2 discounters are usually in the middle somewhere which does suggest that theyre pretty much the same as other supmarkets.

Are people leaving the big 4 in significant numbers? Aldi & Lidl's market share is still fairly small.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bleach & shower gel are woefully watery. Toilet paper was waifer thin (Farmfoods is same price & far superior)
    I post on another football forum & there another poster also agrees with my 10% claim. I genuinly think theres a psycological thing with it & downgrading brands.

Ive made this point several times before but when they do blind taste test on programmes like eat well for less, the 2 discounters are usually in the middle somewhere which does suggest that theyre pretty much the same as other supmarkets.

Are people leaving the big 4 in significant numbers? Aldi & Lidl's market share is still fairly small.

You have to know the products. As with all supermarkets there's a range of qualities and prices. The Aldi 24 pack of toilet rolls sold at £5.29 is as good, if not better than, any brand.

Market share might surprise you. Aldi's overtake both Waitrose and the Co-op, and Lidl's now overtime the Co-op too. Neither is far behind Morrisons.

Given that they're relatively new to the UK, with a smaller number of smaller shops they're still serious trouble for the big boys:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7577095/amp/Big-Four-lose-Aldi-Lidl-Market-share-hits-15-year-low.html
  • Zero_Sum
    Doc_N wrote: »
    You have to know the products. As with all supermarkets there's a range of qualities and prices. The Aldi 24 pack of toilet rolls sold at £5.29 is as good, if not better than, any brand.

Market share might surprise you. Aldi's overtake both Waitrose and the Co-op, and Lidl's now overtime the Co-op too. Neither is far behind Morrisons.

Given that they're relatively new to the UK, with a smaller number of smaller shops they're still serious trouble for the big boys:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7577095/amp/Big-Four-lose-Aldi-Lidl-Market-share-hits-15-year-low.html

Im not surprised theyre ahead of Waitrose & co-op. I wouldnt class co-op as a supermarket as they tend to be smaller than Tesco metros & are more a gloryfied corner shop. Waitrose dont have any presence in large parts of the country. The nearest one to me is about 15 miles away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure