MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade

Comments

• boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    YoungNick wrote: »
    Alas, I don't think individual customers can register a complaint with Ofgem. It's a struggle to complain to Co-op energy, and I have no confidence that Co-op energy is capable of recording the number of complaints, let alone responding to them.

I think your right but at least their is a link to the Co op site on the ofgem site and the Co op say that "in the unlikely event that our handing of a complaint still leaves you feeling dissatisfied, or we have been unable to resolve things within eight weeks, you have the right to contact the Energy Ombudsman": [EMAIL="enquiries@energy-ombudsman.org.uk"]enquiries@energy-ombudsman.org.uk[/EMAIL]
    www.energy-ombudsman.org.uk
    0330 440 1624 or 01925 530 263
    Energy Ombudsman
    PO Box 966
    Warrington
    WA4 9DF
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My post on "Add your feedback on energy supplier Co-op" thread:

I left Co-op Energy in December but for some unknown reason (think I must've been really tired that day) I provided an incorrect reading to both Co-op and E.on when I transferred. E.on have been brilliant and sorted everything out so that my records with them are correct but Co-op owe me about £94 for my overpayment at account closure which they refuse to admit to or pay back. I've been trying to get an answer from them since mid-March but their system change seems to have rendered them worse than useless. If this had happened in the company I used to work for then heads would have rolled!

I have phoned (no point, they couldn't access records for closed accounts), emailed (told there is no refund due despite my full account of what happened), written via snail mail (threatening Ombudsman action, no response after 1 month), emailed to chase response to snail mail (ignored). I have photographs of my meter, have worked everything out so that they have a full breakdown of everything, yet I cannot get a response from them.

I am especially disappointed that this is the Co-operative as I've always believed them to be one of the few remaining "good guys" in a world full of unethical businesses. I've sadly been proven wrong.
  • mjjordan
    mjjordan Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    Only just found time to read others complaints on here; my experience so far, can't access online account, website says doesn't recognise account number, numerous calls to customer services who deny they are customer services and say they will transfer you to customer services who again deny they are customer services and they will transfer you to customer services... it goes on and on and on. No one can find an account for me even though I have been a customer for 3 months and they are collecting my money. Endless emails never responded to. Now I read this and they are saying its all fixed - no it ain't !
    I have worked for organisations where if even a tiny fraction of this happened there would have been firing squads at dawn - I despair of this "new world", where's the exit?
  • fat-pudding
    fat-pudding Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had further email from co-op, they are adamant that they are the supplier so I have called xoserve who say that "nobody" is my supplier for gas and UK power networks say that EDF are my supplier for electricity.

In the email from co-op they also asked for opening readings which they have already had (and are already in the same mail thread!) and have again failed to answer my questions/complaint.

I've reiterated all the problems to them again and asked them how they will resolve this and told them not to switch any supplies.

Their communication is utterly shocking, I can't understand how they can be quite this incompetent.

Going with Co-op was the worst bit of advice I've ever had from MSE!
  • HELS
    HELS Posts: 25 Forumite
    I have had terrible problems moving my dual fuel account away from CO-OP. They moved the electric in Dec but took till now to sort gas:(
  • PurplePow
    PurplePow Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Also on quarterly billing and they are at least three weeks late in billing me, no email from them and no balance outstanding on my online account, seems the wheels have totally fallen off.

Does anyone know why they changed their system in the first place? The old one seemed perfectly OK for me as a customer.

I was just thinking this morning we're due our quarterly bill so logged in but nothing showing yet. I'm keen as I expect to be in credit by quite a bit and would like the monthly payments putting down and claiming the credit back. But judging by this forum that might prove difficult for them!
  • PurplePow wrote: »
    I was just thinking this morning we're due our quarterly bill so logged in but nothing showing yet. I'm keen as I expect to be in credit by quite a bit and would like the monthly payments putting down and claiming the credit back. But judging by this forum that might prove difficult for them!
    I have asked them (in 4 emails since March 30th) to re-calculate the monthly direct debit payment on my daughter's account and I have received two non-automated replies which responded to other issues, but ignored the re-calculation request. I have now told them that if they take another payment at the current rate, I will advise my daughter to reclaim the payment under the DD guarantee.

The problem might be that a condition of my daughter's tariff is that she pays by direct debit, so it will be interesting to see if they try to penalise her by transferring her onto their standard tariff.

Another condition of the tariff is that Co-op Energy will provide quarterly statements, but they have failed to do so.

I think Co-op Energy are well aware of the magnitude of their problem, and my daughter is lucky not to be currently involved in any 'switching' procedures. It is inconceivable that Ofgem are not aware of the situation, but so far they appear to be unconcerned.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just posted on their website.
    Our new Customer Care and Billing System

Posted on 6 May 2015

After many months of careful planning, March saw the launch of our new Customer Care and Billing System at Co-operative Energy. Most of the changes happened behind the scenes as we intended, however as with the case with any big change, we did experience a small number of issues.

These issues have affected the service received by a number of our customers and we apologise wholeheartedly for any inconvenience caused.

We’re always striving to stay one step ahead and improve our services through the latest technological advances. That’s why we undertook the multi-million pounds upgrade and roll-out of the system. The new industry leading Oracle system will enable us to provide our customers with an improved service and better customer experience.

What the new system means for us

Now in place, the system will support Co-operative Energy in its growth and will provide a platform for supplying gas and electricity for up to a million customers. We can now focus on the growth of our business and make long term plans for our future.

Neil Denley, Co-operative Energy Deputy General Manager, told us: “We are entering a very exciting time at Co-operative Energy. We now have a secure platform on which to build our business - delivering industry leading customer service and bringing our values to life for our members”.

What it means for you

Although most of the changes happened behind the scenes and you won’t have noticed any change to the way your energy account currently works, the changes now in place will improve the service we are able to offer you as a Co-operative Energy customer.

One difference you will notice is your new energy online account. Your new online account will have a fresh new look and bring home energy management right to your fingertips.

If you haven’t yet registered for your new energy online account, follow the video guide to get set up.

https://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/news-and-views/our-new-customer-care-and-billing-system/
  • JustD
    JustD Posts: 38 Forumite
    Stil cant enter readings. I'm done with them, time for a move. Where should I start looking for good customer care?
  • Thehud
    Thehud Posts: 785 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2015 at 3:29PM
    I switched both of our houses at the same time, ours and our sons house which is in our name because he is unwell and we support him. It's been an almighty mess and still is. Last week my son, who has mental health issues, was plunged into darkness one month after we officially switched, we were away at the time and about to float out to sea with no phone signal.

I have just sent a picture of the meter through on the email system as advised so they can sort it out, but hey seeing as they have not replied to anything I have sent and they admit to taking 10 days to answer at best, this is one emergency that is not being treated as one... My main house account with them still only shows amount we have paid in via DD. I have given meter readings but nothing shows online.

It has taken me 4 weeks to get any action from them and 'send a picture of the meter' is the only reply today after I finally got through to someone. Every other time I wait and wait, the phone went dead twice and they just went dead other times. Once I got through to tech section and they could not help me register because the information on the account is incorrectly set up.... and it goes on. This is truly bad and I am ashamed of the Co-op who should know better.

Rant over :(

Forgot to add, I stupidly paid exit fees totalling about £90 to my previous supplier for getting myself into this mess via the cheap energy club Pah!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure