Garage refusing refund on faulty second hand car

Options
Good afternoon,

I am hoping you may be able to assist me with an issue.

I purchased a second hand car for my Son from a local garage in Bristol for £1,200 cash, after a viewing and test drive.

I collected the car on Monday 9th December.

On inspection of the vehicle the next morning, I discovered both the front and rear drivers side footwells were very wet with visible water in them. I check the windows and sunroof and there was no water coming in from any of these.

I spoke to the garage who advised it was probably an issue with a drainage pipe, and to bring it back and they would fix it and dry the vehicle out, as otherwise you would get a very bad mouldy smell in the car.

I returned the vehicle the next day (Tuesday 10th) at midday, and was told it would be fixed within around 24 hours.

My son received a call late afternoon on Wednesday 11th to advise the vehicle was ready for collection. On inspection both footwells still had visible water in them, they said they couldn’t dry it out and it would dry out on its own.

I advised I was unhappy with this, and that I was told it would be dried out properly before collection. They told me they were not going to do it and I would have to take the vehicle as it is.

I stated I would contact yourselves and they got very aggressive and said I could have my money back, which I accepted, but they then stated I would have to pay a £100 admin fee.

There is nothing about this on the website or on the sale receipt to state there would be any admin fee payable.

They are now refusing to refund me any money, saying they will pay me if and when they feel like it

Please advise how I can take this forward?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a £1,200 shed with a bit of a water leak in some horrible weather. Good luck...

To get your money back without them playing ball, you need to physically return the car and all paperwork, then issue a small claim for your money.

If the £1,100 refund is still on the table, take that, then issue the small claim for the remaining £100.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think you should have cut your losses and taken the £1100 refund.

even if you take them to court there is no gtee they will pay

how come you didnt notice the water on the test drive
  • umvert
    Options
    There wasn't any water on the test drive
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wasnt raining that day, is it a Corsa known fault.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mobileron wrote: »
    Wasnt raining that day, is it a Corsa known fault.
    It's a £1,200 Corsa. What age is it, 15yo...?

Could be almost anything. Does it have a factory sunroof? If so, the drain tubes are always the first suspect. Has it ever had a windscreen replaced? Are the scuttle cabin air intake plenums clear of grub and grot?
  • umvert
    Options
    They say it was a plug at the top of the driver door, which has now been fixed apparently. The floor is still soaking wet with visible water in the front and rear footwell. They have been very aggressive and I do not trust it has even been fixed properly
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    umvert wrote: »
    They say it was a plug at the top of the driver door, which has now been fixed apparently. The floor is still soaking wet with visible water in the front and rear footwell. They have been very aggressive and I do not trust it has even been fixed properly

So why didn't you take the refund?
  • umvert
    Options
    Because I didn't feel I should lose £100 through no fault of my own. They have the car, I have the V5, MOT and sale receipt. They have re advertised the car for sale
  • MissMollyJ
    Options
    Take the money and run.
    £2 Savers Club 2020 no. 9
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Corsas leak like taps around the brake servo.
    to fix it, the servo has to come out- they won't do that for free, or you can take the scuttle panel, pollen filter housing and battery out, and use loads of silicon sealer to go round it- they might do that, it is only half an hours work.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure