how much income support if on carers allowance

Options
Hi so I have been awarded my carers allowance I rang them this morning. The person on the phone said I'm expecting payment 16th december but they need to get deductions for income support so that could push it back to the 23rd december
Can anyone please help in what I will be getting? Like what deductions from income support I'll lose and why? Thankyou x

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tania12 wrote: »
    Hi so I have been awarded my carers allowance I rang them this morning. The person on the phone said I'm expecting payment 16th december but they need to get deductions for income support so that could push it back to the 23rd december
    Can anyone please help in what I will be getting? Like what deductions from income support I'll lose and why? Thankyou x
    Carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your Income Support. So, Income Support £73.10 - Carers allowance £66.15 = £6.95 and then they add a carers premium of £36. 85 to the Income Support. Total amount of IS is £43.80. The Carers allowance pay you £66.15 per week. It's deducted because it's classed as income and you can't receive the payment twice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/

Any backdated money owed will be for the carers premium of £36.85 per week and not the full amount of Carers allowance.
  • tania12
    tania12 Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Thankyou, so am I going to be worse off claiming carers allowance as just to receive income support solely, I dont fully understand the total amount I will be receiving with both carers and income support together x
  • airliner
    airliner Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankyou, so am I going to be worse off claiming carers allowance as just to receive income support solely, I dont fully understand the total amount I will be receiving with both carers and income support together x

If you are 25 or over, a single person, you have no other income, and capital below £6000 you will receive the following:

£66.15pw Carer's Allowance
    £43.80pw Income Support

= £109.95 total weekly income.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

As already posted

Income Support £73.10 - Carers allowance £66.15 = £6.95

They add a carers premium of £36. 85 to the Income Support.

Total amount of IS is £43.80.

The Carers allowance pay you separately £66.15 per week.

so total = £109.95

Income Support alone is £73.10
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• tania12
    tania12 Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Excellent thankyou. I understand it alot more now, thanks guys and gals :) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure