MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade

Comments

• Apli81
    Apli81 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I complained to the Coop becuase they've been using estimated readings, instead of the ones I've been proving every month. I emailed them about this 4 weeks ago and haven't had a response.

Fellow customers will know the pain of trying to call their customer service line, but has anyone experienced related issues?
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Hello. I thought I'd join up and express my dissatisfaction with Coop Energy too.

Our problems are the same as everyone else's. We haven't had a bill for months, we cannot log in, we cannot provide meter readings, they don't reply to emails and Christmas is coming faster than anyone at Customer Services answers their phone.

We're now in the ludicrous position of owing them £140.

But they can't send us a bill to tell us we owe them £140 until after we've paid the £140.

And they think that is acceptable. No chance.
  • Apli81
    Apli81 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I did speak to them about the estimated readings. They've said they did accept mine because I didn't submit them in time. However, when I've asked for a timetable to submit the readings they say the dates change every 2-3 month. That seems unfair and set up to ensure that they're charging on estimated readings.
  • Apli81 wrote: »
    I did speak to them about the estimated readings. They've said they did accept mine because I didn't submit them in time. However, when I've asked for a timetable to submit the readings they say the dates change every 2-3 month. That seems unfair and set up to ensure that they're charging on estimated readings.

It seems to me that you have been with the Co-op for some time, and I am a bit confused about your meter readings. Do you log into the "automated" site to submit them?

I ask because I have yet to receive any kind of bill (since May 15) and I am submitting my readings on the same day of the month, thinking that at least that part is working.
  • Until recently, I was able to log in and enter meter readings, and I was doing so regularly, but suddenly I am no longer able to enter meter readings! I submitted them by email and, surprise surprise, I received an acknowledgement within hours (!!!) confirming that the readings had been updated on to the account. But no bill has been produced since April, and no payments have been taken either. All you can do is keep your own history of meter readings and work out your own bills using the correct tariff prices. If you are paying too much, then I would be tempted to recall a DD payment or two in order to make sure that the account is not in credit. If they accuse you of breaking the terms of the agreement, then ask them to explain why they are insisting on using estimated meter readings.

Just make sure that, when the day of reckoning eventually arrives, you will have the necessary funds to hand.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    It seems to me that you have been with the Co-op for some time, and I am a bit confused about your meter readings. Do you log into the "automated" site to submit them?

I ask because I have yet to receive any kind of bill (since May 15) and I am submitting my readings on the same day of the month, thinking that at least that part is working.

Exactly the same here as my last bill was in May and I also have all my monthly reading for the reckoning day !!
  • boobbby wrote: »
    I also have all my monthly reading for the reckoning day !!
    The meter readings on their own will not be enough - you will also need to know the precise costs, and an accurate figure for how much you have already paid. If and when Co-op Energy eventually get their act together, many many customers will be in a very exposed position (financially, I mean…!), and will struggle to be able to understand or challenge any of Co-op Energy’s calculations. And, so far, there is not really any indication that the so-called regulatory authorities will show any interest at all.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    The meter readings on their own will not be enough - you will also need to know the precise costs, and an accurate figure for how much you have already paid. If and when Co-op Energy eventually get their act together, many many customers will be in a very exposed position (financially, I mean…!), and will struggle to be able to understand or challenge any of Co-op Energy’s calculations. And, so far, there is not really any indication that the so-called regulatory authorities will show any interest at all.

I have an exact figure of all my energy costs both the unit charge and daily rate which will not change as I am a fixed contract until May 2016. If they have not sorted their systems out by then I will be moving probably back to OVO. My brother was with Npower and his billing system was even more horrendous than the Co op.
  • boobbby wrote: »
    I have an exact figure of all my energy costs both the unit charge and daily rate
    You are indeed a wise person, and Co-op Energy would be afraid - very afraid - if they had reason to believe that you were in anything other than a small minority! The Co-op fix which I look after (it’s my daughter’s account) finishes in August 2016 (I managed to switch last month through their main marketing site, even though it was not possible through the defunct customer accounts portal). I am communicating regularly by email, and I am increasingly hopeful that my daughter will eventually benefit from the 12-month back-billing limit. Personally, I would probably not initiate a switch away from the Co-op for fear of creating more complications than I already had.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    I am increasingly hopeful that my daughter will eventually benefit from the 12-month back-billing limit.

Could someone please explain how this works, looks like lots of us will qualify shortly.

Pete
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport