BA Blue Amex vs. Lloyds Duo Avios

2»

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Lazyloki wrote: »
    High fees can be avoided with a bit of planning by going ex-EU, especially if you can make use of Reward Flight Saver destinations.

Well, the UK is still in the EU for now, and this only works for Londoners, but most people would think you are crazy for flying to Amsterdam and back twice..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2013 at 1:09PM
    zerog wrote: »
    Well, the UK is still in the EU for now, and this only works for Londoners, but most people would think you are crazy for flying to Amsterdam and back twice..

Doesn't only work for Londoners at all - connecting domestic flights are free of charge on RFS fares. Although admittedly it can be a little more hassle from the regions.

Depends how you see things I guess. The savings from going ex-EU can be significant on business class fares. And you can always have a short stopover in AMS - I quite enjoy a little mini-break there before a long haul flight.

Then again I like flying...
  • Stephen_C.
    Stephen_C. Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2013 at 2:29AM
    Lazyloki wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Lloyds card specifically?

Lloyds have been very sneaky in the past about giving out the bonus Avios. The marketing blurb states that you have to spend £500 per month for the first three months on the Amex card (spend on the other one doesn't count towards this target).

The problem is that nowhere do they specifically state how they define a 'month'. i.e. is it calendar month, statement month or from the date of account opening.

The one that counts, in fact, is the month from the date on which you were approved for the card. Now this is very sneaky of Lloyds as there is no way of knowing the date you were approved for the card. Sure, you could call and ask them but, frankly, I wouldn't trust their response.

The accepted method of ensuring that you get the bonus, therefore, is:

Month 1: Make a note of the date on which you applied for the card and ensure you spend the £500 before that date next month. For example, say you applied on the 1st of September and your card arrived on the 14th. You might have been approved for the card at any time between those dates so it would be best to assume the worst and make the £500 spend before the 1st of October.

Months 2 and 3: Again, without knowing exactly which date you were approved it's safest to make the £500 spend between the date on which your card approved and the date on which you applied. i.e. make the month 2 spend between 14th October and 1st November and the month 3 spend between 14th November and 1st of December.

This shouldn't be necessary but there have been many people who have been caught out by Lloyds and their fairly underhand tactics as far as bonus avios goes. If it were me, I'd get the card, operate it as above for 3 months (without spending more than I had to) to bag the bonus and then close the account (obviously make sure the avios have been posted to your Avios.com account before you cancel!)

I understand that some people may struggle to make the £500 spend in such a small window so I would suggest simply buying £500 worth of gift vouchers for places you would be spending money anyway (for example Tesco or whatever supermarket you use). That way you hit the spend bonus and can use the vouchers in lieu of cash/credit cards until the next month.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. You sound suspiciously like Raffles from HFP.

I'm considering Lloyds Duo Avios now because the offer ends in September. The Amex Gold card is a much better deal, especially if referred by someone else. What do you think the prospects are for a student on placement (working full time) with Amex?
  • zerog
    Stephen_C. wrote: »
    Thanks. You sound suspiciously like Raffles from HFP.

I'm considering Lloyds Duo Avios now because the offer ends in September. The Amex Gold card is a much better deal, especially if referred by someone else. What do you think the prospects are for a student on placement (working full time) with Amex?

Raffles' account is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=180586

I got Amex gold when I was a student, and not working!
  • Stephen_C.
    Raffles' account is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=180586

I got Amex gold when I was a student, and not working!

Fantastic! Should I forget Lloyds and try with Amex then?

I won't be able to get a household income figure from my family but I don't want to lie on the application form. Any advice appreciated.
  • zerog
    edited 25 August 2013 at 4:49PM
    Fantastic! Should I forget Lloyds and try with Amex then?

I won't be able to get a household income figure from my family but I don't want to lie on the application form. Any advice appreciated.

Well, Lloyds wouldn't give me the avios card (or was it airmiles at that time, can't remember). I applied about a year after opening 3 vantages and maxing them out, so they should have seen I had some money. I wasn't credit checked either.

Later on Lloyds offered me a preapproved 0% balance transfer, which I accepted only to be met with a £1000 limit - which was pretty useless for the £6000 I wanted to transfer.

When I applied for Amex my partner was working, and I also had an income from investments, not that they asked. But I put down a reasonably high figure for the income. I had several other cards at the time so they could have seen a positive repayment history too.

I guess you could legitimately put working full-time on the application, but it may look bad if you just started your placement. But for Amex you won't get rejected just because you're a student, unlike MBNA. I dunno if a referral increases the chance of being approved (I was referred by Raffles) but I'm happy to refer you if you like, now that there is a limit of 5 per year which I'm sure he's reached :p
  • Stephen_C.
    edited 25 August 2013 at 5:04PM
    Well, Lloyds wouldn't give me the avios card (or was it airmiles at that time, can't remember). I applied about a year after opening 3 vantages and maxing them out, so they should have seen I had some money. I wasn't credit checked either.

Later on Lloyds offered me a preapproved 0% balance transfer, which I accepted only to be met with a £1000 limit - which was pretty useless for the £6000 I wanted to transfer.

When I applied for Amex my partner was working, and I also had an income from investments, not that they asked. But I put down a reasonably high figure for the income. I had several other cards at the time so they could have seen a positive repayment history too.

I guess you could legitimately put working full-time on the application, but it may look bad if you just started your placement. But for Amex you won't get rejected just because you're a student, unlike MBNA. I dunno if a referral increases the chance of being approved (I was referred by Raffles) but I'm happy to refer you if you like, now that there is a limit of 5 per year which I'm sure he's reached :p

Why would full-time look worse than if I put student? Do they ask for how long you've been working?

Happy to take a referral link by PM!

Edit: I should probably mention when I visited Lloyds in branch before I started my placement they said I could get the Duo cards but with a lower credit limit. I would hope that isn't the case anymore, as it would be stupid to not be able to spend £500/month to get the bonus.
  • zerog
    Why would full-time look worse than if I put student? Do they ask for how long you've been working?

Happy to take a referral link by PM!

Edit: I should probably mention when I visited Lloyds in branch before I started my placement they said I could get the Duo cards but with a lower credit limit. I would hope that isn't the case anymore, as it would be stupid to not be able to spend £500/month to get the bonus.

I've sent you a PM.. I think the min limit is £500, but you'd have to spend £400-ish and pay it off unless you were able to spend exactly £500 and do it within the necessary dates (which remain a mystery to me, but Lazyloki seems to understand)

Of course the other downside is Lloyds only does "customer service" by phone, and they never seem to understand what you're talking about.

Amex will give you your missing points by email with no argument and each time I've had to call them - I use an 0870 number since I have inclusive 0870 mins - they "refund" me the supposed cost of the call!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure