DLA fraud check

Comments

• justmel
    justmel Posts: 264 Forumite
    A few years ago i recieved a letter from saying i was going to be visited by a benefits officer because they wanted to review my claim for DLA.

The officer came to my home about 2 weeks later and explained that someone had contacted them saying i was not as ill as i said i was,the officer asked some questions,just standard things and left saying she was satisfied and her report would state that i was genuine.

Of course i was not allowed to know who contacted them but whoever did it tripped themselves up very badly by saying i was often seen out alone driving my car,i cannot drive not only due to my illness but the simple fact that i have never had a lesson in my life.

It was plainly obvious that whoever had done this was acting purely out of spite but thankfully it was obvious that i was no liar.

I am sure everything will be ok for you too,it is a horrible thing to be accused of and causes a lot of stress though probably because someone gets an idea in their head that we are getting 'something for nothing' without thinking that i would love to be healthy enough to be completely indepenent of any help,good luck OP :)
  • Sadly these malicious reports are normally born out of spite & also that there is a common belief that if you report a person for benefit fraud thet you are given a payment of £50 in return for the information.It is false and any type of componsation for your costs is only looked at if the case has gone to court and found to be guilty. It is not a simple affair unlike some of the green eyed monsters.
    I know its easier said than done but try to keep focused on the fact that your claim is that of a genuine one I'm sure after all the years of being ill/disabled you will have enough support & so called evidence but I totally agree with everyone that you could do without this stress.
    There are people out there who cant be pleased for you that at last you will be mobile again & there always will be bitter people.I had the same many years ago as I had a motability car as I had a very ill child.Some peoples mentality would be its ok for you with your new car etc & couldnt understand that I would passionately reply I'd love to give this car back today as that would mean I'd have a well child! I did get called in for an interview,after looking at my child for a few mins they were so upset & wrote malicious over the file in red.
    Honestly DWP fraud do this all day every day & and can spot genuine a mile off. Even on the phone you can often tell the genuine from the fake (you really can) I wish you all the best & hope its sorted quickly so you can put it behind you K :)
  • krisskross wrote: »
    Do you not think this would mean that no one would report anyone?

The government WANTS possible benefit cheats reported. I think it is the duty of all of us to report anyone we suspect is claiming fraudulently.

If someone has to prove their claim is above board so what? If I was claiming from the public purse I would be more than happy to, indeed I would expect to have to, prove my entitlement to the money I was receiving.

No, if I knew someone was committing fraud then I wouldn't mind giving my name when reporting them.

I'm not saying that the DWP should tell people who reported them as that would deter people.

It would however cut out the malicious reports where people report people they don't like willy nilly causing stress to innocent people & causing extra work for the DWP that isn't needed.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2010 at 9:54PM
    No, if I knew someone was committing fraud then I wouldn't mind giving my name when reporting them.

You couldn't know absolutely that there was fraud unless you had sight of the claim form. Which is why we can only ever suspect.

However I have reported someone and yes I put my name, address and phone number in the letter.

ETA: It doesn't necessarily have to be a malicious reporting as most of you seem to think. Could be someone is simply mistaken?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    krisskross wrote: »
    You couldn't know absolutely that there was fraud unless you had sight of the claim form. Which is why we can only ever suspect.

Why report them then? You must be sure that they are committing fraud.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • krisskross
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Why report them then? You must be sure that they are committing fraud.

And how could you be absolutely sure when you don't have all the facts? The DWP ask that you report if you think someone is committing benefit fraud. It is their job to investigate the allegation and decide.

I think the DLA medicals will help a lot. When everyone is aware there is a fairly strict medical before the public funds are handed out then I think this will be a reassurance.

However I have reported someone and yes I put my name, address and phone number in the letter.

ETA: It doesn't necessarily have to be a malicious reporting as most of you seem to think. Could be someone is simply mistaken?

The kind of people that do commit benefit fraud are hardly embarrassed about it so people will know if they are working cash in hand/have a partner etc.
    Lucille Ball
  • krisskross
    The kind of people that do commit benefit fraud are hardly embarrassed about it so people will know if they are working cash in hand/have a partner etc.

I thought this thread was specifically about fraud pertaining to DLA?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    krisskross wrote: »
    And how could you be absolutely sure when you don't have all the facts? The DWP ask that you report if you think someone is committing benefit fraud. It is their job to investigate the allegation and decide.

So, it's acceptable to report someone when you know hardly anything? I am so glad I (hopefully, anyway) don't live anywhere near you.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
    I thought this thread was specifically about fraud pertaining to DLA?

It was, I was generalising about people reporting people for benefit fraud as there have been alot of threads regarding it recently.

Sorry op. :(
    Lucille Ball
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport