Broken Phone Screen Repairs

My sister is always breaking her phone and she has to pay £60 to £80 each time she gets a new screen fitted. I've had to lend her money to get it fixed this week and its made me think its expensive for what it is.

I've looked into insurance with Apple, but they don't cover the full cost of screen repairs, you still have to pay each time and there is a limit on how many screens you can have replaced.

So it looks like £60 is the cheapest available option for a new iPhone screen. Does anyone have any tips for getting this reduced or an insurance company that offers a better deal than Apple?

Thanks,

Harry

Comments

• Buy her a protective glass on the screen, an armored case. This will be the insurance.
  • I have got her one, but the screen still cracked when she dropped it. I'm thinking of getting her a griffin survivor case, but I bet she'll still break it somehow. I've seen some iFixit kits on instagram with the tools for changing the phone screens. Has anyone ever replaced their iphone screen? Or used these kits?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    1) Tell her to stop dropping her phone
    2) Stop using iphones, they seem to have the most fragile glass out there.

I have never broken a phone screen and can't see how people manage to keep on doing it !.
  • I agree! I don't know many people that have kept their iphone screen in tact. The videos seem quite simple to follow and the guy replaces the screen in less than 5 minutes. Then again, he is probably a professional! I've got a broken iphone that I can practice on first.
  • So I've found what looks to be a really good guide to replacing the screen on the iFixit website, but they don't sell the kits and I'm not sure which of their kits they use in the video. I have a 0.6 tri-wing screwdriver, is that the same as a Y000 screwdriver?
  • I've found an iFixit video on youtube. They use the Pro Tech ToolKit.
    Zane
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Are Harry and Zane the same person answering themselves
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Are Harry and Zane the same person answering themselves

Don't know, but the subject is not directly related to students, so I'm going to move it to the techie board.

Please follow the redirect.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure