Dual nationality daughter and inheritance tax

Options
Flitbang
Flitbang Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 31 August 2018 at 11:26AM in Cutting tax
I am temporary resident in Thailand and own a property in the U.K valued around 230k. I also have savings and investments of 176k,thereby my U.K estate is worth approximately 406k. I would like to know if my daughter whom has dual nationality (English-Thai) and currently resident and working in Thailand can inherit my entire U.K estate in full without incurring any U.K inheritance tax. This is assuming she is eligible to receive my family home allowance of 100k(tax year 2017-2018 in addition to the tax free threshold (nil rate band) of 325k. I have fulfilled the rules and conditions by which I am entitled to receive the family home allowance upon my death.However,I am unsure whether my daughter's dual nationality and present overseas domicile would have any bearing on entitlement to this additional allowance. Any money inherited would remain in the U.K. Thanks to anyone who may be kind enough to give me any information on this matter.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whether your daughter is from Mars or is currently living on the Moon has no bearing on the inheritance tax position of your estate.

Your estate will be taxed under UK laws from what you have said above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure