Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• bry54
    bry54 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rrj23 wrote: »
    Hi again, still pickling my brain this LPG.

With what you said with the heating on am and pm, is this through the winter only?

Do you also have a cesspit?

We only have the heating on during the cold weather .

We don't have a cesspit ,but we do have a dog who smells like one!
    :)
  • bry54
    bry54 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HateLPG wrote: »
    Interesting. And most revealing:
    Draw your own conclusions.

(And as with everything else posted online by "users", this forum included, read with a critical eye - not that there's much "reading between the lines" required!)

Anyone considering taking a contract out with Flogas after reading that must be barking?:eek:
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    bry54 wrote: »
    Anyone considering taking a contract out with Flogas after reading that must be barking?:eek:

Unfortunately being on a metered estate i am pretty much stuck with Flogas, they are currently charging our estate 63ppl! and we have been told that we are one of their biggest customers. with the recent reductions in the wholesale price you would expect the price to come down, but flogas wont.
    they are basically a bunch of robbing ba***r*s, and the company should be ashamed of themselves.
    People go to prison for theft which is basically what they are doing
  • when you modify provider it is normally free to do a throw over they don't contact the piping they only modify the container and the first level regulator. if you buy your own container most organizations will complete it provided that you have the container analyze certificat
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2012 at 9:04PM

Quote:
    Bosses at liquefied petroleum gas supplier Flogas have blamed milder weather for a 69 per cent slump in annual profits.
    sk240 wrote: »
    Unfortunately being on a metered estate i am pretty much stuck with Flogas, they are currently charging our estate 63ppl! and we have been told that we are one of their biggest customers. with the recent reductions in the wholesale price you would expect the price to come down, but flogas wont.......the company should be ashamed of themselves....

It might interest Flogas customers that the highest paid director got more last year - despite the 69% drop in profits.

In the accounts just published the "Aggregate emoluments (including benefits in kind)" for the highest paid director (presumably the MD, Mr Cubbon) was £222k, up from £216k the previous year. For all the directors the total was £1078k, up from £777k the previous year. Not much sign of being "ashamed of themselves" there!

By the way, the average pay for their employees was £22,752.

Maybe it's relevant to post this link again:
    http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.flogas.co.uk
  • bry54 wrote: »

Anyone considering LPG is barking mad ;)
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2012 at 9:06AM
    First we hear:
    Bosses at liquefied petroleum gas supplier Flogas have blamed milder weather for a 69 per cent slump in annual profits.

and then we read:
    In the accounts just published the "Aggregate emoluments (including benefits in kind)" for the highest paid director (presumably the MD, Mr Cubbon) was £222k, up from £216k the previous year. For all the directors the total was £1078k, up from £777k the previous year. Not much sign of being "ashamed of themselves" there!

I'm confused: I thought Flogas were supposed to be LPG suppliers? But from that, they sound more like a bunch of Merchant Bankers!

Sorry, a bit OT, but I just couldn't resist ;)
  • Thought I'd share my current experience with you.....Just prior to the end of our 2 years with Calor (been with them 10 yrs plus) who invited renewal and increasing the price to 53.5p + vat. Obviously a huge incentive to shop around which I told them I was going to do.

The Neath account office offered to keep it at 50p provided we renew there and then, but could do no more and showed little concern about us moving.

Other suppliers I contacted -
    Avanti 42.9 6mth fix, 44.9 12 mth fix, 5p/6mth cap;
    Countrywide 43 6mth fix £75 credit, no cap;
    Callow 43p no fix, no cap;
    Cardiff 42p no fix, no cap.
    Put transfer to Callow in motion (local and a v good reputation) and was subsequently contacted by Calor HO in Warwick.

They are now offering 43p, fixed for 12 months, £200 credit, and charge our last delivery (798litres) at this price, originally billed at 50p. I'm sure they will invoke the maximum 3.5p in 3mth rise clause at every opportunity during the second 12 months, but it seems like a decent offer.

But why do they insist on going through this ritual dance every two years - they did exactly the same two years ago until offering a great deal at the last minute.
  • Jaspersmum
    Jaspersmum Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I also contacted other suppliers after receiving a contract from Calor for 49.4ppl. I had someone round from Avanti who were very helpful. They were offering 43.9ppl.

But Avanti said that if I signed with them and they sent the paperwork to Calor then Calor would match that offer and probably offer some free gas as well. But it seems to take getting another company to sign you up and send in paperwork to get them to improve the offers. Plus Avanti have an issue with the screening which is up around the tank which Calor are obviously turning a blind eye to when they fill the tank.

So the upshot so far is that Calor are visiting next week to see if they can improve the 49.4ppl they have offered so far.

I am still waiting to hear from Rectory who have emaile to say they have staff on holiday and can not give me any quotes yet.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2012 at 9:12PM
    Thought I'd share my current experience with you.....Just prior to the end of our 2 years with Calor (been with them 10 yrs plus) who invited renewal and increasing the price to 53.5p + vat. Obviously a huge incentive to shop around which I told them I was going to do.

The Neath account office offered to keep it at 50p provided we renew there and then, but could do no more and showed little concern about us moving.

Other suppliers I contacted -
    Callow 43p no fix, no cap;
    Cardiff 42p no fix, no cap.
    Put transfer to Callow in motion (local and a v good reputation) and was subsequently contacted by Calor HO in Warwick.

They are now offering 43p, fixed for 12 months, £200 credit, and charge our last delivery (798litres) at this price, originally billed at 50p. I'm sure they will invoke the maximum 3.5p in 3mth rise clause at every opportunity during the second 12 months, but it seems like a decent offer.

But why do they insist on going through this ritual dance every two years - they did exactly the same two years ago until offering a great deal at the last minute.

"But why do they insist on going through this ritual dance every two years ?"

Maybe because they do NOT want the independents to grow large enough to be a threat?

They - Calor - have now done this twice to you. There are other cases on the forum. And it happens all the time - well, that's what we hear from the independents. And, of course, the independents themselves get offers for their whole operation to be bought up by the majors! And if not offers for the whole operation, then offers to collaborate - e.g. the tie-up between Countrywide and Flogas! (when Countrywide were taking too many of Flogas's customers).

Basically the majors' policy seems to be to frustrate the Competition Commission Order on LPG which came into effect in April 2009 - the main intention of the order was to INCREASE competition. If you've an hour or two, reading the CC documentation - especially the submissions from the industry - is very instructive! It's all been put in the national archives now - here - so it's "job done, next problem?" Ho ho ho!

BTW 1 - Cardiff Gas price is now down to 39ppl (see here). So I should get Calor to match that! You can see Cardiff Gas prices on the graph for the last 18 months here. Cardiff's prices follow the wholesale price, up and down.

BTW 2 - Calor's Neath staff seem to have had training from double glazing salesmen, timeshare spivs, etc. I doubt if their head office would be impressed. (Or maybe they would?)

BTW 3 - Rough split currently is, I believe, Calor 50%, Flogas 20%, Avantigas and BP 10% each, and all the independents (30-40?) only around 10%. Very ball-park figures - and if anyone knows better please post!

PS Welcome to the forum!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure