Lowell - Incorrect default date

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I had a loan with HSPF from back in 2011 and defaulted on it when I joined a DMP in August 2012. I have a letter from HSPF, dated October 22nd 2012, that states a default notice has now been served on me and the account is now in default.

Lowell ended up buying the debt, which has now been settled in full.

Since becoming debt free earlier this year :j I have been saving and am now looking to buy my first house. All of my other debts have fallen off my credit report other that the HSPF loan, which is listed with Capital Bank and Lowell (both showing as £0 balance and a default date of May 2013).

I have been in contact with Lowell via e mail/phone and they insist that when they bought the debt they were informed that HSPF listed the account as being in default from May 2013. I have sent them a copy of the letter, which clearly states the account was defaulted Oct 2012.

They have told me that they have investigated and are going to stick with the default date given to them by HSPF. I argued in vain that I have provided them with evidence this is wrong, but they insist that in that case it's been reported wrong for almost 6 years and I should take it up with HSPF, a company that no longer exist?

Again, I argued that it shouldn't matter how long it's been reported wrong, the fact is that Lowell are now reporting a default on my credit report, for an account I have provided proof of default as October 2012, so surely the onus is on them to report the correct fefault date, given the evidence provided. They again disagreed :mad:

Is there anything I can now do?

Comments

• If it was me, I would escalate the complaint to the ICO...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Radar_UK

If you have already complained to Lowell and they are not prepared to change the date of the default, your next step is to take your complaint on to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). They will investigate and make a decision on your complaint.

It's also worth pointing out that the ICO guidance states that 'As a general guide, [a default may be recorded] when you are 3 months in arrears, and normally by the time you are 6 months in arrears.'

Good luck with it all

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure