Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Data_Bus
    Data_Bus Posts: 13 Forumite
    Hi all, I've been with Octopus for about 9 months. I've been happy up until recently when the email response has slumped to days rather than hours. They have become very slow at replying. I got an email shortly after my last meter readings went in which shocked me to be frank. They said that my previous supplier had contacted them proposing a different start reading for my gas, which Octopus has agreed. The agreed reading when my switch went through was something like 7684 and the new start reading is 7792. Octopus has issued my bill using the new reading and credited my account accordingly with the difference. I wouldn't expect anything else. If you do the sums, 7792 minus 7684 = 108, which means I now owe my previous supplier that amount. As yet I've not been contacted by my previous supplier. The direct debit with my previous supplier was closed after everything had gone through with my switch. I'm now left wondering if I'm going to get a bill from them. I've never heard of start readings being changed for no apparent reason 9 months after the switch has gone through. There was no dispute between any of us. I'm very unhappy all this was done without notifying me until after the fact. I hope they don't come with another for my electricity. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Data_Bus wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been with Octopus for about 9 months. I've been happy up until recently when the email response has slumped to days rather than hours. They have become very slow at replying. I got an email shortly after my last meter readings went in which shocked me to be frank. They said that my previous supplier had contacted them proposing a different start reading for my gas, which Octopus has agreed. The agreed reading when my switch went through was something like 7684 and the new start reading is 7792. Octopus has issued my bill using the new reading and credited my account accordingly with the difference. I wouldn't expect anything else. If you do the sums, 7792 minus 7684 = 108, which means I now owe my previous supplier that amount. As yet I've not been contacted by my previous supplier. The direct debit with my previous supplier was closed after everything had gone through with my switch. I'm now left wondering if I'm going to get a bill from them. I've never heard of start readings being changed for no apparent reason 9 months after the switch has gone through. There was no dispute between any of us. I'm very unhappy all this was done without notifying me until after the fact. I hope they don't come with another for my electricity. Has anyone else had this happen?

You will get a Final Bill from your old supplier. Both suppliers are required to use the same readings to open and close your accounts. This is what happens when you provide the new supplier with meter readings on a transfer of supply:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/

For either supplier to raise an Agreed Readings Dispute then the difference between the industry- verified readings and the ones that you provided must be:

1200kWhs for gas (39 units imperial/109 units metric)

250 kWhs for electricity

If something has gone awry then speak to your gaining supplier, it has the Licence obligation to manage all aspects of the transfer of supply.
  • Data_Bus
    Hengus, Thanks for your reply, however I've already had my Final Bill from my old supplier on 14 May 2017. My start reading with Octopus was the same as the end reading with my old supplier. So there is no dispute. That's what the problem is. It all seems highly irregular to me. (The system won't allow me to "Quote" you as there is a link in the quote and new members are not allowed to use links)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Data_Bus wrote: »
    Hengus, Thanks for your reply, however I've already had my Final Bill from my old supplier on 14 May 2017. My start reading with Octopus was the same as the end reading with my old supplier. So there is no dispute. That's what the problem is. It all seems highly irregular to me. (The system won't allow me to "Quote" you as there is a link in the quote and new members are not allowed to use links)

Sorry, I am not sure that I understand. The verification of meter readings by the Data Collectors has been in place for years. It is designed to protect customers and to avoid supplier disputes. Sadly, when asked for readings, some consumers mis-read their meters; some lie because they think that they can make a few £s by doing so, and some consumers just do not bother to supply any readings. Provided that the estimated readings are within the no dispute limits, they any cost/benefit to you will be in pence.
  • Data_Bus
    I've just read the link a few times to try and get my head round it. So, even though I've had a Final Bill from my previous supplier and my first statement from my new supplier, Octopus, with corresponding end and start readings, a meter validation company has come up with a different number which both companies now have to use. It still seems very odd to me that it takes 9 months and I've had all the switch complete emails etc ages ago. I would have thought the validation company could have done the calculation in about 10 seconds. Thanks for the info.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just completed the move from Sainburys (British Gas) to Octopus and I must say that it has gone smoother than any previous switch. I haven't had my final bill from Sainsburys yet but the communications from Octopus have been excellent.

Anyone want a £50 referral link?
  • I've been with Octopus for 18 months, and had no problems until this year. I've noticed that my credit with them had risen significantly, so i looked a bit closer at my account, and discovered that while my payments had gone through fine, i hadn't had a bill issued by them since december! While i don't provide meter readings each month, I hadn't missed more than one, and i had provided one in January (plus, i'd expect estimated bills regardless).

I emailed them on Friday about this. So far, i've had an email saying they were taking over 12 hours to respond, and another asking how their customer service had been, which subsequently asked me if i wanted to escalate when i said my issue wasn't resolved, but literally no response acknowledging the issue i've raised.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've been with Octopus for 18 months, and had no problems until this year. I've noticed that my credit with them had risen significantly, so i looked a bit closer at my account, and discovered that while my payments had gone through fine, i hadn't had a bill issued by them since december! While i don't provide meter readings each month, I hadn't missed more than one, and i had provided one in January (plus, i'd expect estimated bills regardless).

I emailed them on Friday about this. So far, i've had an email saying they were taking over 12 hours to respond, and another asking how their customer service had been, which subsequently asked me if i wanted to escalate when i said my issue wasn't resolved, but literally no response acknowledging the issue i've raised.

I have found that if you enter a meter reading your balance gets updated immediatly and you get a new bill the next day.

If you want regular bills, it is worth entering meter readings at least once a month.
  • Data_Bus
    edited 30 March 2018 at 6:18PM
    I've been with Octopus for 18 months, and had no problems until this year. I've noticed that my credit with them had risen significantly, so i looked a bit closer at my account, and discovered that while my payments had gone through fine, i hadn't had a bill issued by them since december! While i don't provide meter readings each month, I hadn't missed more than one, and i had provided one in January (plus, i'd expect estimated bills regardless).

I put my meter readings in every month without fail. My last statement was for for 15 Dec 2017 to 14 Jan 2018. I contacted them on 5th March to ask when I'll get my next bill/statement. I got a new one emailed to me on 15th March. It's opened up a whole can of worms and prompted me to put something on here, post 122. I'm now on my second adviser and still no closer to an answer. I'm very unimpressed as, in my view, they're bordering on being incompetent at the moment. I'm waiting, again, for a response to an email I sent this morning. I've tried to word it in a very specific way to avoid them dodging my questions as they seem to be doing. I'll wait for the reply but I'm close to escalating my enquiry. I'll post on here again when I get further with them.
  • Data_Bus wrote: »
    I put my meter readings in every month without fail. My last statement was for for 15 Dec 2017 to 14 Jan 2018. I contacted them on 5th March to ask when I'll get my next bill/statement. I got a new one emailed to me on 15th March. It's opened up a whole can of worms and prompted me to put something on here, post 125. I'm now on my second adviser and still no closer to an answer. I'm very unimpressed as, in my view, they're bordering on being incompetent at the moment. I'm waiting, again, for a response to an email I sent this morning. I've tried to word it in a very specific way to avoid them dodging my questions as they seem to be doing. I'll wait for the reply but I'm close to escalating my enquiry. I'll post on here again when I get further with them.

Have you called them on their telephone number ? 0808 164 1088. Monday to Friday, between 0900 - 1700. I was given this number by them. Hope it helps you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback