Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow

Options

Comments

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    I'm struggling with the donut comparison. What kind of donut? Jam filled or with a hole in the middle?

Jam for sure. all squidgey and round!

and incapable of this - :j:j
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Ok, Amara is running 100 days challenge from today till 21 November.

I went looking for a new challenge you see.

I need something to shift my bum. I can tread water quite well, managing life, work etc and have made progress in terms of organisation (savings for Christmas is now a normal thing,) I don't buy things like magazines or clothes on a whim.

However the animals are costly. My random presents/food/garden shopping is a cost.

So................current loan is 3898. By the 21st of Nov I want it to be 3000.

If I get a decent tax rebate it might be lower but I suspect I will need that to pay off the credit card and reinstate some of the emergency fund.

Too hot and tired but by the 21st of Nov I want to be ready for Christmas, be exercising regularly and be eating at least 3 (I know it is five but baby steps, I exist on chocolate and biscuits) fruits or veg each day.

I also want the house decluttered. All room usable.

Each day I will make progress towards these goals.

xxx
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    After fighting so hard to be positive yesterday and starting the day well today with getting things done - animals and washing (!) I just crashed. I don't know why. I managed breakfast ok, and then just got lower and lower. I feel like everything here in this house is insurmountable. I had have time to do things (and I have) but my mum's constant negativity is wearing. The first couple of weeks at home were good - holiday, visiting friends, out to dinner, shopping, interspersed with work on the house. But after that I stayed in, friends on holiday, dentists (!) and it has just been Mum and I and we have a good time - so long as it is just food and light easy plans nothing big. And it is all big. So nothing done really.

And I am so tired. I sleep for about 3 hours in the afternoon at the moment. And feel hideous.

Am away on Thursday, with a mate for a drunken weekend with her family. Trouble is that is stressing me out too as it is only a week and a bit till I got back to work. And the house will still be a mess. And this breaks my heart. I cannot manage everything if I don't have space and organisation.

There is enough time. Ultimately I just have to be disciplined. Me. And I have to put the glass cloche over my head when Mum is being negative (I worked out a long time ago that she has low expectations and is highly protective - it comes out in funny ways)and push on. Until it is done.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buffy, you are not a donut or a potato. And you might be interested in this - lots of free stuff, and the fb group is fabulous.

Rosa xx

Seconded - transformational in the way I think about what I wear and how I feel about the way I look.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Much sympathy on your last post, can only suggest that you break it down into small steps.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Keep plodding xxx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Seconded - transformational in the way I think about what I wear and how I feel about the way I look.

I have had a read. I don't know. I like being a plain jane and loathe clothes shopping. Funnily enough my RL friend had her colours done, she loved it, thing is she is a size ten and blond so there isn't much that looks bad on her to start with!

Much sympathy on your last post, can only suggest that you break it down into small steps.

Yes.
    That is hard to do with mum, she wants things tidied away in the same day.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Keep plodding xxx

I shall.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2018 at 2:07AM
    Options
    Keep plodding fine - but GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. Time to think about what YOU would do what YOU would choose.

Maybe it is time to try the dump it method. You pick the room that has the most space (to dump it). Then you choose the room that needs the least clearing. Then you dump everything from that room into the other. Then you only put back what can seriously be given a home & the rest - you dump it. Just dumping obviously isn't the most MSE, but is sometimes the only sanity preserving, solution.

I have found that STUFF is a problem. It is there, it is in your face (even if actually in your loft), you need to get rid of it but you can't or not that easily. I have STUFF in my loft since 1990/1 & I think I have got rid of half of it.

So anyone in the market for every Agatha Christie book in paperback? I may have a couple of very late books missing as I stopped commuting back in 1976. I never really figured out why the journey in was 23 mins but out again was 24 mins but I hear it is 30 mins now. Progress is a wonderful thing!

As for clothes shopping - I hated it 50 years ago & it hasn't got any better.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a read. I don't know. I like being a plain jane and loathe clothes shopping. Funnily enough my RL friend had her colours done, she loved it, thing is she is a size ten and blond so there isn't much that looks bad on her to start with!

I'm not keen on clothes shopping itself either - I don't like the crowds or most of the experience - but I don't have to do as much now I know better what works for me, and get more use of what's already in my wardrobe and a much improved hit rate with 3bay and online orders. And you are perfectly entitled to stick with plain if that's what you like - one of the things I love about that site and the group is that it really does support everyone in developing their own style, not pushing you into someone else's.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Lots of love to you Buffy - remember to give yourself credit for the things you have gotten done.

I hired a skip last summer - it cost me about £250 for a fortnight, and I was completely ruthless. I got rid of loads of stuff and felt SO much better when I'd done it. As badmemory says, it's not MSE but it really helps. You don't have to make 20p from every item in your home you don't want. I just chucked everything into the skip. A couple of neighbours asked if they could take stuff from it and I let them - I just wanted it gone. My only regret was not getting a larger skip because my bedroom wasn't as well done as the rest of the house and it now has a lot of junk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure