New Driver - 2 Speeding tickets in a week!

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    There's a road near me where it goes from 60 to 30 at a slightly odd point (a long way before
    the village/any houses) and the signs are almost completely grown over at the moment. Anyone who didn't know the road would be likely to miss them.
    But a competent and alert driver will, of course, quickly realise they missed the sign due to the default rules over repeaters and streetlights.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 6 August 2018 at 10:07AM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But a competent and alert driver will, of course, quickly realise they missed the sign due to the default rules over repeaters and streetlights.

No streetlights or even a pavement at that point I don't think - it looks and feels exactly like the NSL country road, hedges and trees each side, that the driver was just on. It's a good few hundred yards before you see the village, and as the signs are currently grown over, I'd understand a less competent driver not realising it was a 30mph.

Actually, looking on streetview, there is a pavement, but that pavement is also on the NSL part. But interestingly, there are road markings showing 30 that are no longer there as I assume the road has been resurfaced in the last year and those haven't been painted back on. Look at the B5378 as it enters Shenley from Borehamwood. The two 30 signs are totally grown over at the moment - you can't even see the village name.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why did she think the road was a 40? Speed limit signs are very clear, so there would be no reason for her to think it was a 40 unless the signs weren't clear.

There's a road near me where it goes from 60 to 30 at a slightly odd point (a long way before
    the village/any houses) and the signs are almost completely grown over at the moment. Anyone who didn't know the road would be likely to miss them.

As she's a new driver, all the rules would be very fresh in her mind, so I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for her breaking the law - maybe go and take photos of the damaged/missing/obscured 30 signs and contest the tickets.

EDIT: Read further on through the thread and noticed you're fronting her on your insurance. Sounds like you're just a pair of chancers, so I suspect the speed limit signs were fully visible, she just decided to ignore them because she doesn't actually care about how her speeding could affect others.

I'm glad she's been caught.

Hopefully now you'll get on and sort out the insurance. Don't forget to mention the points and pay the increased premium.

If there are lamp post there wouldn't be any signs.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    If there are lamp post there wouldn't be any signs.

That's new to me. I always thought that, when entering a new speed limit zone, the zone would be marked by the speed limit in a red circle. I didn't realise lamp posts alone were an indication of the new speed limit.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's new to me. I always thought that, when entering a new speed limit zone, the zone would be marked by the speed limit in a red circle. I didn't realise lamp posts alone were an indication of the new speed limit.

There's no mention of her entering a new limit, just her assuming. 40 limit was 30.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    No need for psychic powers. A 20 zone will have traffic calming measures every 100 metres or less.
    Labsuper wrote: »
    All traffic calming has been removed in my area.

According to ROSPA "20mph limits, which consist of just a speed limit change but no physical measures to reduce vehicle speeds within the areas. Drivers are alerted to the speed limit with 20mph speed limit repeater signs."

Every 20mph road I have driven on has had regular repeaters.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    There's no mention of her entering a new limit, just her assuming. 40 limit was 30.

How do you think she arrived in that 30 zone? Teleportation?

To get to the place where she was caught speeding, she must have passed a speed limit sign as she entered, even though the OP didn't specifically mention her doing so. Therefore, she must have known it was a 30 zone. Unless the signs were overgrown/missing as per my suggestion above.

If the signs were visible, she was simply speeding or driving without due attention and absolutely deserves the points/speed awareness course and increased premiums.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    The problem is people see the speed limit as a target.
    The clue is in the name "limit".

While it is an absolute limit, it's also a target in the right circumstances. If you are on a single carriageway road with a national speed limit and in a vehicle permitted to do 60, you should be driving at 60 if the conditions are appropriate. You should be driving showing consideration for other road users.

There will of course be conditions which mean that a lower speed is appropriate.

Edit: and you can of course fail your driving test for driving too slowly!
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How do you think she arrived in that 30 zone? Teleportation?

To get to the place where she was caught speeding, she must have passed a speed limit sign as she entered, even though the OP didn't specifically mention her doing so. Therefore, she must have known it was a 30 zone. Unless the signs were overgrown/missing as per my suggestion above.

If the signs were visible, she was simply speeding or driving without due attention and absolutely deserves the points/speed awareness course and increased premiums.

She may have always been in a 30.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    She may have always been in a 30.

Then she would definitely know she was in a 30 zone if she lives in a 30 zone and had not passed any signs on her new route to work indicating she had now entered a 40.

The OP made clear she was "unfamiliar with her route to work". Even someone who doesn't drive is familiar with the road they live on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure