PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 December 2012 at 9:27AM
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    I'm in total shock but here is Januarys thread! :eek:

Me too!:eek: I've been keeping an eye out for it as I really need to get back into the swing of this .....
    zippychick wrote: »
    Bluegreen143 has kindly offered to take over from Rosieben with the recipe index.:D

:T Thanks Bluegreen ..... and to everyone who helps run the thread :A

Well .... as some of you know, I've not been too well towards the latter part of 2012 which threw my grocery budget out the window totally (hadn't been doing too badly until then!:)).

Hopefully on the road to recovery now but really need to get to grips with the new diet - which is unfortunately turning out to be very expensive :( and looks set to be with me for a while :eek: so ......

Going for an annual budget again - this works better for me due to distances to the "big shops" as it allows me to stock up every so often when I'm there (and hopefully spend less then next couple of months!)

Annual Budget = £1,680

The freezers are well stocked (overflowing!:o), have been inventoried & I have the lists stuck to the front of the one in the kitchen ... so starting off on a positive.

I don't get a chance to post often and do struggle to keep up with the thread :o but I do read .....

Best of luck everyone!:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Ruby789
    Ruby789 Posts: 312 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2012 at 1:58PM
    Options
    Hi,

Hope I can join too :)

I'd like an annual budget please, £960. Starting 24/12/2012 and ending 24/12/2013. This includes food, household stuff, cleaning products and laundry. Excludes toiletries.

Thanks
    Debt free (finally) and saving a deposit for my first home.
  • Mamjak
    Mamjak Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can you put me down for this too.
    I aim to only spend £450 per calendar month, that includes all food, toiletries, pet food, nappies etc & cleaning products. Have been slowly dropping down from about £600 over the last 6 months so hopefully will be able to manage this. As long as I dont start eating into budget too early as got paid week early cos of xmas.
    Hope you all survive the holidays and see you in the new year!
    Home Schooling mum budgeting for 2 adults, 2 teens, 2 little ones & 3 cats
    Want to be debt free - one day! :(
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am still on December fro a couple of days yet and will move across to Jan thread at the end of this week. January is a horribly long month!!!! I have calculated that I will need to do 5 food shops which will include the one for our New Year's Eve party.

I am going to to for £240

This will be a challenge but I guess that's the whole point:D

Have a lovely weekend

PP xxx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • lottie3000
    Options
    Can I be added for £400 please, January budget starts today for me and doesn't end until the 31st so coming in at £400 will suit me fine, under would be fab though!! Thank you :)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi its quite exciting thinking about the clean sheet that a new budget is...i am going to try and get the budget down next year....i would like to shave a third off what we spent this year but i think that might be too difficult...am going to try though

i plan to list what i have in the fridge and freezer to start the year and make the very best use of it...i will do this after christmas though as we may use some of the stocks over the festive period

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • lottie3000
    Options
    I am off to list what I have in the freezer now, reading these new posts I know that I really do need to drop my grocery budget by quite a lot. Slowly does it though!! I'm doing much better than I was before keeping an eye on my spending, but I really was wasting sooo much on the daily trips to the supermarket. Thanks all involved again :)
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I must get back to doing this as it really helps focus you! Dh had a huge tax bill in, we tried fighting it as he is on paye and it is their mistake so we saw an accountant but sadly no it is backdated and we now have to find £9,000 :eek: Going to have to go for monthly payments but still going to hurt lots!!! Lovely start to the Christmas season! We are not going to let it spoil Christmas though but belts are being pulled in very tightly now! Please can you put me down for £200 in January!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    pinkypig wrote: »
    I have calculated that I will need to do 5 food shops

mmm that's got me thinking about how I'm going to work the budget next year ... I've always done annual and last year went on a 1/4 basis eg stock up month followed by 2 slightly reduced ones eg Jan £160, Feb & March both £130 so £420 over the 1/4 but I thought I'd go with even splits this year at £140

But now wondering if I should split it into weekly shops as I do tend to go to the SM every weekend ..... so do I split my budget into a weekly figure (approx £32) and go with the number of Saturdays in the month .... ohhhh dear - some thinking / decisions to be made!:o

catznine wrote: »
    I must get back to doing this as it really helps focus you! Dh had a huge tax bill in, we tried fighting it as he is on paye and it is their mistake so we saw an accountant but sadly no it is backdated and we now have to find £9,000 :eek:

Ohhhhhh no - that's awful:( and especially if it wasn't his fault ....
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mind if I skulk back in? :A

I'm terrible at keeping up with the threads, I just have no time these days and ended up falling so terribly behind with the last challenge. I know that I didn't go over budget though :)

I'm feeling ever-so excited about this new year, feel like it's gonna be a good one :j I've just joined the save 12k in 2013 so anything left over from my grocery budget will be going straight into that :)

Can I be put down for an annual total of £2,400 please?

Thank you ever so much - to those who give their time to start/run the threads, to those who collate the recipes and to those who share their recipes and post ideas and encouragement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure