We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• wishuponastar
    Options
    I was growing some bolted onions to flower so I could harvest seeds for next year.

I had two (had being the word). The were beside each other but today I noticed that one had been completely eaten off, with only a few remnants of the flower on the soil beside it.

Now I have one only and I'm worried how to pollinate it? Can I self pollinate it somehow or can I use leek flowers as I have two of those in full flower?

As last year I only grew one bolted onion to flower and it didn't get pollinated so I ended up with empty pods where the seeds were supposed to be.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »

The onions are magnificent, a couple of months to go before pulling them up but the problem will be;- I think they will be too large to store well and I'll have to slice and freeze them -serves me right for watering and feeding them.

Sounds like you are having great success with your onions, good job. I'm just trying to grow some seeds ready for next year but not having much success.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After the chair incident at the weekend I got the remainder of the onions, garlic & shallots out (the latter helped by getting a really good close up look at them while I was wallowing around on the ground). I'm still figuring out how much failed, I only found two bulbs of garlic, but the onions are really good - they're sitting in the conservatory drying, much to the annoyance of the cat. In other news I got my first tomato yesterday - okay it was 3/4 blossom end rot, but that last quarter didn't get wasted

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My courgette plants are not healthy! :( One of them looks worse than the other. The older leaves have pale brown splotches on them and are drying and curling up. I don't know what's wrong with them, or how to treat them, but the flowers on the bottom of that one are aborting before they open. On the other, the leaf issue is less, but there was a courgette growing (which had definitely been pollinated as I did it), but it just seems to have stopped growing. Not rotting or anything, just stopped. Again, I don't know why.

Sooo frustrating. Courgettes seem to be one of the easiest things for everyone else to grow, and ours are struggling like crazy! Any suggestions? I noticed white powdery patches on the leaves previously. Mildew? Could it be that has got worse?

The sweet pepper plants I grew from seed aren't looking too healthy now either. They have some leaves that are turning pale, with little brown spots on them. Is that blight? Can you get blight on peppers? I don't know. I'm such a novice! lol

Lots of tomatoes setting now. And some that flowered, and dried up about 4 weeks ago, have suddenly started to swell!! So that's good at least!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    euronorris following unrecordings top tip about blossom end rot being due to poor pollination I have watched a couple of you-tube clips this week and have pruned about a third of the leaves - all those crossing with the neighbouring plant, any yellowing or laying on the ground or covering the whole plant. Mine are too crowded so I need to give them some air - I am no expert but I am getting the fruits now (6 more today).

Also all the first flowers are normally male and don't swell, just on a stem, so maybe that is it. Don't worry about the greying on the leaves, it is normal here and doesn't seem to stop them.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    First hanful of carrots pulled as they are too close to a courgette. Looking good and wonky!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    This is what the leaves look like on the courgette:

20190716_172543.jpg
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    euronorris Yes you can get blight on peppers as I think they are in the same family as tomatoes. I'm not sure what the symptoms are. I've never has blight on peppers but I have on tomatoes and potatoes.
    Courgettes - the white patches you have is probably mildew, I'd try giving them a good feed and see what happens.

Suffolk Lass - interesting what you said about tomatoes. I always cut off the leaves below the first truss of tomatoes once they have set..I also cut off any yellowing or curled leaves as well. It seems brutal but I've never had blossom end rot. I only grow blight resistant varieties. I'd rather be sure of getting a crop rather than waste a year due to blight.

I found some very small shriveled seed potatoes - well yes, I knew they were there but kept forgetting to throw them away. So today I thought I'd give them a chance, I've stuck each in a pot to see if they will grow and if they do I'll transplant them undercover to see if I can get new potatoes for Christmas. It's a case of try and see.

I pulled up some mangetout plants a couple of days ago and today I was sorting thorough them only to find I had missed loads and loads of pods which were now curled but full of peas. I was curious and shelled them to have with tea. They were more like the old fashioned marrowfat peas than sweet juicy ones but boiled with a pinch of sugar solved that problem - waste not want not.

Is anyone starting yet to think about what to grow for the Autumn and Winter months?
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is anyone starting yet to think about what to grow for the Autumn and Winter months?

Funnily enough I had the tin out yesterday, putting back the stuff that's definitely missed the boat this year. I've recently bought a bunch of oriental varieties from Nickys Nursery that I'm keen to try, and I might go for some onion sets of some kind, but maybe just a single variety rather than the bumper multi offers that I've previously been tempted by. In my position it's hard to plan too far ahead, but to use that popular Audrey Hepburn quote, 'to plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow'

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Courgettes - the white patches you have is probably mildew, I'd try giving them a good feed and see what happens.

Suffolk Lass - interesting what you said about tomatoes. I always cut off the leaves below the first truss of tomatoes once they have set..I also cut off any yellowing or curled leaves as well. It seems brutal but I've never had blossom end rot. I only grow blight resistant varieties. I'd rather be sure of getting a crop rather than waste a year due to blight.

I was talking about courgettes in response to euronorris, but I think the same applies to tomatoes.

I have had to throw some of the potatoes I harvested a couple of weeks ago due to signs of blight. I hate that. We are away for a quick trip so hoping the forecast rain is here not where we are going.

I have leeks in for winter and will continue with kale and broccoli if the pigeons and cabbage white butterflies don't beat me to it. I'm going for some microgreens too but nothing in the greenhouse as we will be taking it down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport