PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Nice to 'see' you back Lyn and you sound like you had a fantastic time in Belgium (do lovely chips don't they, plus chocolate and beer You must have been in heaven :)) I bet your pleased your son has found work it must have been a bit of a worry with you all shoehorned in together, how's the baby doing ?.
    Onwards and upwards as we say :):)

JackieO xx
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    silvasava wrote: »
    Misstara - would suggest an apple as you would probably get more usefrom the fruit. There are cookers/eaters that are useful in sweet or savoury dishes. Scones are the one thing I've never mastered! Tried all sorts of recipes - all edible but not lovely big chunky ones.

Thanks silvasava, think we will go for apple - now just waiting for payday to go and buy things for the garden. Definitely not great with scones either, they more resemble rock cakes.

Lyn - glad you had a good time away, sounds lovely :)

Got back last night from a nice weekend away and had a few pounds left over from my budget which was good.

Used up the last of some strawberry jam on a scone for breakfast this morning. I seem to have quite a few half pots of jam in the fridge so will try and get them all used up over the next month or so.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10549.64/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1409.88/£1500 (94% saved).
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sowing seeds for this summer, both flowers and veg, and I'm using up old seeds. It's been 11 years since I had an allotment, and I still have seeds from that period. I don't mind, really, if they don't sprout, I just can't throw them away without trying. I did take the precaution of sowing more than recommended, for instance, 2 seeds per hole are recommended for peas, but I've put 8 :).

In the newly extended flowerbed and between the gladioli I've emptied several half-used packages of mixed flower seed. I'll add more permanent flowers and shrubs next year.

Project 'empty the freezer' is going well, most of the dough-based items in there have now been eaten.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Is it me or is it quiet on here lately. I have bought my first ever sewing machine (I'm in my early 20's) and I am learning how to sew. I'm attending a weekly sewing class and just pay for my materials. So far I have made a puff bag and I am currently making a soft toy owl. The classes will be finishing in the next few weeks. So I am carrying on my learning and doing my own stuff on my sewing machine. I have finally got a fully stocked freezer and store cupboard which will last me for a few months, just need to buy milk, butter and eggs every week.

I've got my kittens food all in bulk and half price so she has food up until she turns one year old. The food and litter liners for the year came to £25.00. I wasn't happy with the latest eon energy hikes so I have changed tariff to a 2 year fixed plan.

Spent the day in the garden at the weekend and tidied up my herb garden ready for the spring/summer. Everything survived the winter and I have room to plant a few more herbs in my mums garden. As I am living in a first floor flat my mum has given me a patch of her garden to grow whatever I want it. I have rhubarb, sage, chives, mint, thyme, oregano, rosemary, lemon balm, curry plant and lavender so far.
  • Made do with something from the freezer for tea. Mended a hole in a pair of leggings. I wear them under trousers as I get cold easily as I have raynauds. Minimised some books to the charity shop as I have read them and won't want to read them again.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well done Treasurequeen. When you sew your own things they are always original and unique! DS1 is running a stall for charity at the local sailing club on Easter Monday so I'm sorting out some of my tops and a load of books. I've got a small pile of mending to do but it can wait as it's nothing major. I've had to clear out all my bakeware as I've had a new cooker fitted. I've managed to cull quite a bit of redundant items are there's only two of us now and I've no need to do the amount of batch baking I used to.
    Made do with the leftover pork from Sunday for tea tonight - enough to freeze for another meal too.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Floss wrote: »
    Charlies-aunt, but the '90s fashion is all the rage on this year's cawalks
    If only I was the shape of a catwalk model! As a well rounded 59 year old I am happy to leave extreme fashion for the young and daft even though I wore it to death in the 90's :):):):)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mending pile is getting bigger as having sort out of clothes and minimizing some of them and others need some TLC.
    Minimised more rubbish that accumulates with alarming frequency. Made use of some storage tins in the shed. Slightly more organized in there now..
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

I've got my kittens food all in bulk and half price so she has food up until she turns one year old. The food and litter liners for the year came to £25.00. I wasn't happy with the latest eon energy hikes so I have changed tariff to a 2 year fixed plan.

Morning Treasurequeen, hope you don't mind me popping in :o

Just wanted to say I'm glad you've found a better tariff with us, I also wanted to add about using the online tool called the Direct Debit manager.

It means you can adjust your own monthly payments and take full control over your account. If you pop some reads on you can produce a real time bill or balance, then adjust your payments by up to or down by 20%.

If you don't pop reads on, you can change the amount by 5%.

Hope this is a little bit useful.

Thank you.

Helena:)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I am having my parents and brother over on good Friday for a meal. I've made up the fish pies and have frozen them and will reheat them on the day. Also made some cheese and onion potato pies with some leftover Mash from the fish pies and have frozen three for another day. Made do with something from the freezer for tea. Mended one of my kittens toys as she put a hole in one end, lets see how long it will last before it goes in the bin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure