PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Good locations for cheaper houses

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 6:30PM
    :rotfl:Smodlet - now you never know who I might have been in a previous life:rotfl:

#is not joking:)

- and is keeping a (totally private to me only) journal .....which might form the basis of a novel one day...

There's two occasions in my life where I've "never been so cold" - demonstrating at Greenham Common some years back and when I nearly died/had died?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 6:33PM
    :rotfl:Smodlet - now you never know who I might have been in a previous life:rotfl:

#is not joking:)

- and is keeping a (totally private to me only) journal .....which might form the basis of a novel one day...

There's two occasions in my life where I've "never been so cold" - demonstrating at Greenham Common some years back and when I nearly died/had died?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You had not edited your post before I posted the rotfls. If you ever publish your book, I hope I get a chance to read it, Money... Please don't take too long.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Not sure at whom that was directed,

Nobody in particular Smodlet, I'm sorry if it came across as that.

I'm moving back to Lincolnshire soon and absolutely everybody that I've spoken to has made comments which include the words "flat, boring & in-bred". I find the last comment quite ironic given some of the villages near me at the moment :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The incomer thing could be levelled at where I live too, because I'm in the non-tourist part of our county where life is very similar to the way it was 50 years ago. There are certainly people who regard us incomers as inferior, but you can probably imagine the sort of people they are.....;)

The added complication in many parts of Wales is 'the language issue.'

I suspect that otherwise the two places are quite similar. The vast majority of people here get on fine, most locals recognising that the incomers, being such a large proportion of the population, are vital to the life of the community and play active parts in it.

Most people come here from elsewhere because they like the area as it is, not because they want to alter it. Those who thought they'd like it, but then find it's 'not for them,' soon leave, without making much impact.
    edited 10 July 2018 at 1:22PM
    I think it's the case in many more remote areas throughout the country Dave that incomers compose a large part of the "people that get things done" (ie start up social activities etc).

There is an element (that probably applies across the country?) of some incomers becoming "more local than the locals". I'm guessing it's a form of "fitting in"? Same as converts to a particular church tend to become more zealous than those born into the church?? (well I know that certainly applied to many of the "converts" to a church I was in many years back). I think possibly part of it is trying to "buy acceptance" too????

I know one of the things I find hardest to get my head round (and I don't know if that applies to most smaller communities throughout the country) is just how many people are related to each other/have grown up with each other. Where I'm from we're darn nearly all of us "strangers" to each other - from elsewhere in the country/elsewhere in the world even. So that's quite an eye-opener and I do still have a very strong preference for people being "strangers" to each other initially - as I believe that makes for more objective thinking (rather than biased-to-a-relative or the like thinking).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Here, there are many locals who also 'get things done,' but with many of the incomers being active, early retired, they've probably more free time than those whose first priority is earning a living.
    edited 10 July 2018 at 2:22PM
    Probably so - ie the active early retired Dave.

There is rather a distinct division in some parts of Wales though imo. Distinctively "Welsh" type activities (eg Eisteddfod, etc type activities) seem to be run by "locals" afaik. Though I've had very little contact with that side of things - for obvious reasons (ie they're in Welsh).

The more "standard" type activities are in English and the majority of the people at them tend to be English. Within that - there are times where one can tell those incomers that have been here longer (ie taken for granted that everything will be in English - so everyone can understand/take part/because it's the same country) and "newer" incomers and they often are also pushing for at least "main words" to be translated into Welsh/describing Wales as a "different country" etc etc (ie the "more local than the locals" thing).

I've heard positive ear-blasts in the "back to it all being Britain/everything in English" way of thinking from some more "established" incomers.

I guess it got summed-up by a "shall be nameless - but OMG blogger" here that makes sure to write everything in English - just so that we can all understand just how much he is having a go at us:cool: and one of his posts a bit back was along the lines of "**** hippies moving here in the 1970s's and taking it that they had 'moved to the country' - rather than 'moving to a different country':cool:. (errr...I've got news for him - it's not just those who moved here in the 1970s....) Well - it made a change from his ranting at English retirees moving here (which is what much of his usual ranting is about)...

EDIT; Not forgetting incomer retirees possibly?/probably? have a lot more free time we're looking to use - because smaller areas (well - certainly this one) are MUCH more family-centred than I've ever come across before. With that - we are the ones that probably have more time - because our families are back in England and hence we visit back there as frequently as we can - but we're not involved with family on a daily/weekly basis (because they're often not here with us) - and hence looking for things to do more.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I'm moving back to Lincolnshire soon and absolutely everybody that I've spoken to has made comments which include the words "flat, boring & in-bred". I find the last comment quite ironic given some of the villages near me at the moment :D

I was born and grew up in a small Lincolnshire town (my parents were "incomers"). You had to be very careful gossiping about people in case the person you were talking to was the person you were talking about's cousin!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2018 at 3:01PM
    Why do some on here assume that rolling hills / mountains are everyone's ideal?

I love the remoteness, the far horizons, and the bleakness at certain times of year to be found in the fens and coastal flats. There is a large variety of wildlife, flora and fauna to be enjoyed all year round.

There is nothing boring about such a landscape, it's the people with such an lack of imagination and appreciation that is the boring element.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    I was born and grew up in a small Lincolnshire town (my parents were "incomers"). You had to be very careful gossiping about people in case the person you were talking to was the person you were talking about's cousin!

Alford, Spilsby & Walcott are examples of that!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure