Ebay car buying issue

Options
2»

Comments

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why cant you just open an ebay case as IND?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    Why cant you just open an ebay case as IND?

That wouldn't achieve anything though would it? An IND gets any PayPal payment back once item has been returned, there is no mechanism for getting a bank transfer back.

OP The seller is obviously a dealer so you need to work on getting an address for them in order to serve papers- that assumes you can prove your case which isn't necessarily automatic. However, with an address and screen shots of their long and varied history of selling cars , and they currently have 10 listed, the local council and HMRC might well be interested. Car dealers should comply with the various rules and regulations regarding their businesses.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    OP another possibility, and probably difficult to achieve, is to get people to start reporting him for having no business details as required on eBay. If the seller is forced to comply with business selling on eBay, then he has to put up his address (at the moment he just shows Castleford) having an address for him might help a bit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    That wouldn't achieve anything though would it? An IND gets any PayPal payment back once item has been returned, there is no mechanism for getting a bank transfer back.

I didn't realise that. Useful to know, thank you
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    You can request contact details for another user if you have been in a recent transaction, then you get these by email, just google "ebay request contact details".

If they have other items for sale on ebay then I would definitely not recommend buying them, and claiming non receipt, not as described, etc because that would be dishonest so definitely don't do that...
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can request contact details for another user if you have been in a recent transaction, then you get these by email, just google "ebay request contact details".

You can but they aren't complete enough to initiate legal action.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Had a similar experience with a car seller. Pics looked great, car described as excellent. I dont live too far from where it was so i made many attempts to view it. Always some excuse which should of rung alarm bells. Anyway, i won the bid and he asked for a deposit. Fortunately i told him i would pop round with the full payment and pick it up instead. Turns out the pics on ebay were at least 10 years old. It didnt look like the same car (apart from the number plate). Painted with a paint brush, rusty, different wheels. Turns out the guy had bought it recently on ebay, got screwed by the seller (same photos) but felt compelled to buy it as 'its ebay rules' BS. Then thought he would just relist with the same pics to offload it. He expected me to just pay him even though he clearly tried to scam me. Told him to *******.

He offered it second chance but that bidder emailed me so i told him straight what the guy was doing. He left me bad feedback which i reciprocated then reported him to ebay (pointless). At least i stopped him offloading it to the next guy.
  • soolin
    Options

If they have other items for sale on ebay then I would definitely not recommend buying them, and claiming non receipt, not as described, etc because that would be dishonest so definitely don't do that...
    You can but they aren't complete enough to initiate legal action.

The contact details are getting thinner and thinner, I think the last lot I had was down to an area, not even a Street!
  • soolin
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »
    Had a similar experience with a car seller. Pics looked great, car described as excellent. I dont live too far from where it was so i made many attempts to view it. Always some excuse which should of rung alarm bells. Anyway, i won the bid and he asked for a deposit. Fortunately i told him i would pop round with the full payment and pick it up instead. Turns out the pics on ebay were at least 10 years old. It didnt look like the same car (apart from the number plate). Painted with a paint brush, rusty, different wheels. Turns out the guy had bought it recently on ebay, got screwed by the seller (same photos) but felt compelled to buy it as 'its ebay rules' BS. Then thought he would just relist with the same pics to offload it. He expected me to just pay him even though he clearly tried to scam me. Told him to *******.

He offered it second chance but that bidder emailed me so i told him straight what the guy was doing. He left me bad feedback which i reciprocated then reported him to ebay (pointless). At least i stopped him offloading it to the next guy.

At least the Op can't get any bad feedback now as sellers haven't been able to leave negs for buyers for about 10 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure