Showing Documents

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    How about driving licences? If you don’t have yours with you, can the police access the DVLA’s database, pull out the photo on John Smith’s licence, verify it’s him, etc? Or are they not this technologically advanced?

So how many John Smith licences should they be expected to look through before they find the right one? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Are you thinking they'd take a photo of the driver and use a facial recognition algorithm?
  • How many motorists can there be with the same name, born on the same day in the same place, and resident at the same address??
  • DoaM wrote: »
    So how many John Smith licences should they be expected to look through before they find the right one? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Are you thinking they'd take a photo of the driver and use a facial recognition algorithm?

They don't look, the computer will find it.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

I've never said there wasn't but thanks anyway.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Car is insured, doesn't mean I'm entitled to drive it though.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Indeed they do, one of the reasons is that you are driving a motor vehicle on a road.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VII/crossheading/powers-of-constables-and-other-authorised-persons/enacted

Thanks, that is RTA 1988. Sadly I pre-date that.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Thanks, that is RTA 1988. Sadly I pre-date that.

Do you also pre-date the Road Traffic Act 1930?

And haven't you read the Highway Code since 1988?

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

There being a statutory defence doesn't stop it being an offence, though, much like passing a traffic light at amber is an offence with a statutory defence if it was not safe to stop. In fact the fact there is a statutory defence rather defines the fact that it is an offence, otherwise, why would there be a statutory defence?
  • And what is the point of this pedantry?
    The fact remains you have a week to show your documents. I believe most people will be interested in this practical point.
    Then, by all means, let the pedants and the legal scholars obsessed over these other details with no practical impact...
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    And what is the point of this pedantry?
    The fact remains you have a week to show your documents. I believe most people will be interested in this practical point.
    Then, by all means, let the pedants and the legal scholars obsessed over these other details with no practical impact...

There is a point as there is a time limit to the statutory defence. The offence is already complete. You only have a statutory defence for 7 days, and it only counts once you have complied within that time framework.

The law is full of pedantry and it's important to understand that to have any stab at a defence. Not just this offence, but others too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure