Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Got my eyebrows waxed and tinted yesterday, they look fab and make me feel fab :D

I went through all my clothes at the weekend and have 2 bags to go to the charity shop. These are clothes that no longer fit, are not particularly flattering or just didn't make me feel good when I tried them on. Have made a list of various bits that I could do with and will buy gradually as finances allow.

Redid my nails tonight - they lasted 4 days which is way below the 14 claimed but much better than any of my other nail polishes so plan to buy a few more shades.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Misstara. Sounds like you had a very good fabbing day. Bet it feels great to have had a good clear out in your wardrobe. This is definitely something I shall be doing soon. I noticed I have a lot of navy blue in my wardrobe.......why, it doesn’t suit me - neither does black. So out it will go. From now on I will keep only clothes that flatter me and make me feel good.

I met a lady on the cruise who is very similar in colouring to me. She wore bright colours, some perhaps a bit too bright for me but she looked wonderful in turquiose. In fact I noticed one or two Silver Foxes (my name for attractive ladies of a certain age with white hair) who favoured turquoise. I shall definitely be trying to add some to my wardrobe. Blues do seem to suit me, but not navy.

I took a look on eBay Last night and I am watching a few bits and pieces and will try and bid on a couple of items.

Well I’ve got off to a good start yesterday ....I’ve lost 1lb already. Also restarted my vitamins and increasing my water intake. After a couple of days of feeling really tired and lethargic I have finally caught up with my sleep. I woke nice and early and full of beans, less muscle pain and no longer feel jet lagged and disorientated. Finally got my landlegs back.

Yesterday I bought a copy of Slimming World magazine. I love reading the success stories, they help me stay motivated. And it’s nice to try out some of the recipes and ideas. I might take a look at the Slimming World thread too. I don’t want to join an actual club though.

I have now caught up with all the holiday washing and hopefully I should be able to get all the holiday paraphernalia packed away today and then get my house back to rights. Also an Aldi trip this morning.

Have a great day.

Keeeep fabbing. :D
  • evuka
    evuka Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    chanie wrote: »
    LL my MIL is going to embark on some expensive dental work, costing tens of thousands of pounds. It!!!8217;s allegedly cheaper to get it done in Europe, but as you said, cost wise, it may not be any cheaper.

May I suggest you look into Hungary? It is one of the most visited place for dental tourism and very easy and cheap to fly over to Budapest. Ryan@ir, J3t2, Wizz@air (from Glasgow) all go there.

The cost - although high for Hungarians - is very reasonable because we don't use EUR but HUF which exchanges around 1GBP=350HUF (sometimes even closer to 400).

Budapest is lovely, lots of sightseeing options and lots of baths, swimming pools (Hungary has thermal water as well) and transportation is easy with buses, undergrounds, trolleys and trams all operated by the same company so your tickets/passes are interchangable and valid for all.
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • evuka
    evuka Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Congrats on the weightloss, LL! (and the baby boy as well, just catching up :p)

I'm also in serious need of losing weight, currently being 85kg (13st 5lbs)... and one of my sisters' wedding is in August :eek: but can't find my motivation to start exercising. Doing my 30mins walk daily as the doctor suggested (currently being off from work with depression) but it feels it makes things worse.
    I have around 20-22 weeks to lose pounds and kilos and stones so I would be able to buy some nice dress to wear.

MoMMSam, I'm sure you look fab with your bob! Drastic change, bet you feel lightweight :D

I usually use my own homemade moisturiser and body lotion but yesterday I treated myself to a Vi:chy day cream and a large pot of N*vea. The moisturiser came out of my "toiletries and cleaning" budget, well pretty much it was my full budget (£30/mo) and the N*vea is from my grocery budget.

Weather is cloudy but dry here and feels like Spring, may do some deweeding in my wee front garden but first, getting ready as I'm still lingering in my pj's here :o
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've never had my eyebrows tinted tara but I'm thinking about it as it really makes a difference to have defined brows. Any advice anyone?

Yesterday I bought a copy of Slimming World magazine. I love reading the success stories, they help me stay motivated. And it!!!8217;s nice to try out some of the recipes and ideas. I might take a look at the Slimming World thread too. I don!!!8217;t want to join an actual club though.

You know I'm a big fan LL. I'd suggest you experiment with the 7 day menu and there are also loads of recipes online. The SW thread is very friendly indeed and there are a number of people on there that don't go to groups either.

May I ask which supplements you take? Just lately I've been using up some glucosamine and cod liver oil that I had in the cupboard. Fortunately I don't have specific health issues as such but I know my joints do take a bit of a hammering with my dancing. Of course I'm not asking for health advice:eek: just some info on why people take supplements and what for.

While I can't speak for the dental treatment I did like Budapest and can second everything evuka said about things to do and see and getting around. One evening we noticed a large group having a presentation on dentistry at a surgery in the main street (had a sort of shop window and we were intrigued why all these people were sitting there!:D)

Dancing again tonight so I'll be looking out a skirt. I have a number of White Stuff type velvet ones so I think it'll be one of those.:)
  • Hello Ladies,

I went to my local Odeon cinema to see Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. I really enjoyed this thought provoking true life love story. An ordinary Liverpool man falls in Love with the actress Gloria Grahame. This is an extraordinary film with both the male and female lead doing an exceptional job. I would give this film 8.5/10 It was a Silver Screen showing of the film, so my ticket only cost me £3. :T I enjoy going to the cinema, but I prefer to do so in as MSE a way as possible.

LL I have even more weight to lose than you, but I will be getting NHS support from the Healthy Heart, Healthy Weight Programme. My assessment is tomorrow and I will be completing a 12 week programme with them. Congratulations on being so motivated already and taking your 1st step on your weight loss journey. I am sure your 1st grandson will remind you of your son even if he does not look like him. :)

I am aching all over today, as I gave my kitchen a thorough spring clean yesterday. I got the bit between my teeth and decided it could not wait.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 22 February 2018 at 9:56AM
    Good morning lovely ladies

A lovely bright sunny morning here, although i think a cold one. I am up with the larks again this morning, slept like a babe. Another 1lb lighter this morning. Wahoo.

All unpacked, finally......and washing up to date, so I can now start getting back to normal daily life. Went to Aldi, stocked up on healthy foods....

Btw. Wild Atlantic salmon was half price, if anyone is interested. So much nicer than the farmed stuff. They also had frozen trout fillets (farmed) and line caught red snapper. Very impressed.

Aldi are really upping their game, going for quality as well as price. They are leaving the Big 4 supermarkets standing. They now have lots of organic food for far less than the likes of Waitrose and M&S. And, good news for me, they have opened a new store just up the road from me.

I bought myself some flowers too. I also need to replace some houseplants that are looking a bit past their best. Let the house fabbing begin.

Maman.....Re the vitamins. I take a shed load. :rotfl: but I did have a few health issues which were caused by all the stress from the years caring from my husband and his subsequent death and that of my Parents. My health and well being took a real battering. Stomach problems, fibromyalgia, arthritis, depleted adrenal glands and thyroid problems, prediabetes, sleep problems, panic attacks, exhaustion.

As you know I eventually went to see a nutritionist and I am following her recommendations. Pleased to say my regime is working and most of my health issues are either now resolved or getting there.

So.....here goes.

A probiotic, Vit b complex, Vit D, Vit C, glucosamine, magnesium, red krill oils. And, following a recent test which showed raised cholesterol, I have also added plant sterols. I also eat miso soup a couple of times a week to make sure I am getting enough iodine to help my thyroid.

I take no medications whatsoever, apart from the odd paracetamol for pain relief or buscopan when I get an IBS flare up. Thankfully very rare now. My GP offered me metformin when my blood sugars were climbing but I declined and lowered them myself by diet and exercise. She also mentioned statins but I refused. Both she and I are happy with my progress to date.

I also monitor what I eat. I know grains upset me so I try to steer clear as much as possible. I try to avoid sugar and use xylitol, which is diabetic friendly. When my stomach plays up I also go lacto free.

It is really all about trial and error. I know the amount of vitamin supplements might sound excessive and my diet might sound restrictive but it all works for me. I am feeling so much better these days, my cholesterol levels are dropping and my blood sugars are well within an acceptable range. I am sleeping well and have more energy. I still get some muscle and joint pain but not nearly as bad as it was.

Re reducing cholesterol.......I have cut down on the cheese, and I am now aiming to tweak my diet again, reducing red meat to once a week, eating more fish and trying to have two vegetarian meals per week. Shouldnt be too difficult.

To keep costs down I buy vitamins online from either Amazon or Holland and Barratt when they have their offers on. I estimate I spend Around £20 per month, around £0.66 per day.

Getting there. My health is so much better these day. I will be even better when I lose that extra weight and up the exercise. That is my next goal.

Right time to get cracking, massage and free facial today. Wahoo. Maybe a little mooch round the charity shops and the market if I have time.

Have a great day.

SUgarbaby .....hope the muscle aches ease off soon. I am glad that you are getting such good help and support from your GP. Mine is ok but as she is at least 4 stones overweight herself so I tend not to pay much attention to her dietary advice. Lol. She is a bit too quick to dish out pills such as metformin and statins for my liking. I guess she is overworked and short of time so goes for the quick fix by reaching for the prescription pad. I do miss my old GP but he is retired now.
  • Hello Ladies,

LL I am not going to be part of the 12 week programme after all, as my blood pressure is too high. :o Ah well, I will just have to get on with it by myself without support. ;)

When I did my grocery shopping online I stocked up on staples that will make it easier for me to do more home cooked meals. I wanted to be prepared to make changes in my diet that will make the weekly budget stretch a bit further and to start my weight loss journey again. I am determined to stay focused this time and stick to 3 meals a day that are healthy meals and only fruit snacks. I normally drink 1.5 litres of water a day, but I am going to up my intake of water, as it will help to take the edge off if I feel hungry and it will stop me from getting dehydrated. When I was eating crisps, I would drink quite a lot of water with them, so now I have to get used to life without crisps, even the salt free version I had switched to a few months ago. I was buying the Tesco brand of salt and shake crisps and throwing the small packet of salt in the bin.

I am taking a multivitamin, Vitamin D and fish oils as they are all helping me. At least I am convinced they are. The Vitamin D was on the recommendation of my G.P.

My muscle pains are much improved after a couple of Epsom salts baths. I had a lovely long soak each bath and I find the lavender is really soothing and calming for me as well. :)
  • lessonlearned
    edited 22 February 2018 at 3:58PM
    Hello again.

I am back from my massage and now need to rest for an hour or so, so a good time to catch up with emails etc and post on here.

SUgarbaby. I am sorry your doctor is not helping after all. So please come on here for support and encouragement. We are with you and will do our best to shore you up when the going gets tough. That is what I like about this thread, you are all so kind and supportive. I think that, with any luck, as your weight comes off your blood pressure should improve, especially if you can control your stress levels.

I am another one who swears by Epsom salt baths and lavender oil. Cheap as chips and really effective, without any of the nasty side effects you can get from some of the stronger pain killers and less risk of addiction. Being addicted to baths cannot be too harmful. :rotfl:

Well my facial was wonderful. I went for a microdermabrasion treatment. My skin is glowing now and feels so soft. I know I am capable of giving myself facials and I intend to do them far more regularly from now on. I really cannot afford too mAny professional facials or salon treatments and tbh I cannot really justify the expense when I am a trained therapist anyway but it is nice to be pampered occasionally. Doing it myself is not quite the same. Plus of course I do not have the machine to do it, I can only do manual treatments. Still if I give myself regular treatments it should help and then probably just treat myself every 3 months or so.

I have a mild diy face peel kit waiting in the wings so I will start giving myself a few facial peels in a few weeks. I have also treated myself to something called Frownies. They are used to treat the vertical frown lines between your eyebrows. Not sure how effective they are, obviously they will not be as good as Botox. They are supposed to soften the lines rather than eradicate them which I think is probably better - more natural looking. I think an expressionless frozen face is not a good look and a smooth forehead on older people just looks weird. (Just my opinion).

When I was in Grenada (which they call Spice Island because they grow so well there) I stocked up on quite a few spices, sauces, extracts and liquors for cooking. They were so cheap it would have been rude not to.:rotfl: I love creole type food so I am now going to look out for some recipes. Time to spice up my life. :D

Of course many herbs and spices also have medicinal properties so another reason for me to get more creative in the kitchen. Also if I am going to have to diet then I want the food to still taste good otherwise I will get bored and disheartened.

Btw. I have had some interest from a couple of guys on the dating website......hmmmmn not sure I am interested back but at Least it gives my ego a boost. Ha ha.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 6:27PM
    Hi ladies, on my way out of the house so will try and post later, but those of you taking Vitamin D a couple of things I would like to mention (apologies if you are already aware).

Vit D in the teensy oil filled capsules are massively better than any tablets, even if prescribed buy the GP and please read up on also taking Vitamin K2 at the same time (with a meal that has some fat in it). K2 assists the body in taking the D3 to the bones and not soft tissue that can be damaged by an excess of it, kidneys and heart to mention just 2.

My Endocrinologist confirmed my thinking on this just 3 weeks ago when I had my first appointment with him.

ETA - in my rush I omitted to say that it is Calcium that K2 directs to the bones, D3 helps the intestines absorb calcium and is good for heart and arterial health, healthy blood pressure, bone health and more.

Sorry to rush........

MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure