PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Morning all,
    One of the downsides to relying on on-line deliveries is no YS deals :( My son does ok with these at his local Tesco express which tends to do it's final reductions just as he is passing on his way home from work so he frequently buys a sandwich for his lunch the next day for 10p and quite often gets meat/fish/veg for a fraction of the original price. :) He's been well trained and knows stuff doesn't go off at the stroke of midnight LOL :D
    Feeling slightly more like it today and looking forward to a nice brunch of lorne & tattie scone with the obligatory HP sauce all the better for having it made for me. Not sure about tonight will let the boy choose so suspect it may be steaks nice for a change to not be in charge of the meals :D

Glad you are feeling better and well done on raising such a sensible Lad. I occasionally have to cater for a absolute nightmare to feed. Not only is he the fussiest pickish Lad on two legs he insists that nothing even an hour past the BB is any good and OMG
    anything with a YS sticker is positively poisonous he has the infuriating habit of picking through any meal in front of him with the utmost suspicion, the last meal I cooked for him was Gammon steak from Heron, these packs are an absolute bargain and really lovely but he binned his as it had according to him not been cut properly.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pizza today. Using one of the 3-pack margueritas I added some onion/chilli/chorizo that I'd frozen and a bit more grated cheddar.

A 10" pizza with a whole/fat chilli sliced on it .... makes you sniff :)

I've got half of it on my plate... hoping to not scoff the 2nd half, but to have it for tea.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling better and well done on raising such a sensible Lad. I occasionally have to cater for a absolute nightmare to feed. Not only is he the fussiest pickish Lad on two legs he insists that nothing even an hour past the BB is any good and OMG
    anything with a YS sticker is positively poisonous he has the infuriating habit of picking through any meal in front of him with the utmost suspicion, the last meal I cooked for him was Gammon steak from Heron, these packs are an absolute bargain and really lovely but he binned his as it had according to him not been cut properly.
    :mad: He wouldn't last long round here :eek: my ex OH is like that used to drive me nuts but both my boys are sensible re reductions etc. thankfully :D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    TG, my children knew that food didn't have magical properties that made it go off once the Use By/Best Before date has passed.

My current favourite thing that lasts forever is filtered milk. I have literally had it last three weeks past the use by when kept in the fridge. It just refuses to go off. Which is wonderful if you happen to be using dried milk for cooking and have a whole four pints to use up over a month for the odd cup of tea.

Yogurt also goes way past the use by in Chez McCulloch. What's the sour milk it is made from going to do? Go sourer? :D
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    TG, my children knew that food didn't have magical properties that made it go off once the Use By/Best Before date has passed.

Yogurt also goes way past the use by in Chez McCulloch. What's the sour milk it is made from going to do? Go sourer? :D

I have found that even dear old yoghurt does get passed it, I assume it to be when it starts bubbling and fermenting. Not had the guts to try it then, but perhaps if I gave a poseur name, fermented in Icelandic yurts perhaps it would be next BIG THING, like brown jus?

I have to report I think I was poisoned by yesterday's Goblin pie, cooked it fine with the steamed fresh veg, and found it tasty, but was 99% clumpy suet pudding with teaspoon of slurry, not expecting much for 68p TBH :mad:

However the pud must have upset me, I assume it was that because all the other stuff is my normal type of food, and the Goblin pie was the first one in my long life. It was also the last one

Belly bloated and oh it was agony last night, hardly slept, and the loo needs a blooming good scrub now :eek:

So today's meals so far and foreseeable future is just plain water

Hope improves for tomorrow, supposed to be off to Chichester with the Grandchildren, space exhibition there, and normally eat in the Cathedral cafe which is good value and home made sort of stuff, hope I feel up to it by then
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I have found that even dear old yoghurt does get passed it, I assume it to be when it starts bubbling and fermenting. Not had the guts to try it then, but perhaps if I gave a poseur name, fermented in Icelandic yurts perhaps it would be next BIG THING, like brown jus?

I have to report I think I was poisoned by yesterday's Goblin pie, cooked it fine with the steamed fresh veg, and found it tasty, but was 99% clumpy suet pudding with teaspoon of slurry, not expecting much for 68p TBH :mad:

However the pud must have upset me, I assume it was that because all the other stuff is my normal type of food, and the Goblin pie was the first one in my long life. It was also the last one

Belly bloated and oh it was agony last night, hardly slept, and the loo needs a blooming good scrub now :eek:

Hope improves for tomorrow, supposed to be off to Chichester with the Grandchildren, space exhibition there, and normally eat in the Cathedral cafe which is good value and home made sort of stuff, hope I feel up to it by then
    Poor you hope things settle before tomorrow
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to report I think I was poisoned by yesterday's Goblin pie, ... found it tasty, but was 99% clumpy suet pudding with teaspoon of slurry, not expecting much for 68p TBH

Oh dear. At least you know - and, more to the point, I know not to waste my money on one :) I used to like them in the 70s, but they were exciting/new back then :)

If I ever get the urge I'll knock up my own, it'd only take 10 minutes from start to serving.... and with all the washing up done.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    200px-D%26DGoblin.JPG

Nope, not having one of these in a pie.:eek: :rotfl:

Hope you're feeling better, Farway.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • caronc
    Options
    Well dinner tonight is HM fish pie - not had for ages and I'm hoping there might be some leftovers for lunch tomorrow:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Hope better for tomorrow.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family