PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You guys may remember I was in hospital two years ago with gallstone trouble, and since then I have not been able to eat red meat. I'm pleased to say that so far, the diet has worked, and I've had no more belly aches.
    I used to make spag bol twice a week with (Argentinian) tinned mince, but of course I've had to replace that with Quorn. Also I buy the best quality chicken & fish I can find.

I think I may have noticed a beneficial side effect: Usually I get flu at least once a year very badly, but I've not had a sniffle for two years now. I'm wondering if the antibiotics in the Argentinian meat interfered with my gut bacteria, and made me more susceptible to flu.

Interesting thought eh?
  • That's one of the reasons I don't eat meat jko - as I don't wish to be eating antibiotics on a regular basis (ie the ones they've fed to the animals). Goodness knows - I won't take antibiotics deliberately if I can help it - so I certainly don't want any because of "what some b&gger else gets up to" and I got landed with it as an accidental byproduct.

Guess you're eating live yogurt regularly - or, better still, kefir - in order to get beneficial bacteria and put your gut right?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 November 2016 at 8:39AM
    Chalk streams...... Sneaking off to Google. (Love new things I'm unfamiliar with)
    :) A swathe of the UK is on chalk (including me) which is fun as it's water-soluable.

As in, rain-water can penetrate, erode a hole or even a cavern and the first thing anyone knows about it, there is a sink hole. A leaking water main can achieve the same result. Someone known to me personally is out of their home atm, due to a sink hole opening under it. Gonna be an interesting insurance claim.

If you read Richard Doyle's novel 'Flood' one of the scenarios there involved chalk - shan't give any more spoilers, it's an edge-of-the-seat read and would give you a good idea of the vulnerabilities of the Thames Estuary, greater London and indeed the whole east coast of Scotland and England to a terrifying phenomenon called the North Sea Surge.

That's worth googling. I've spoken to a group of people who'd been living in an east coast town affected by the surge of 1953 and it was shocking.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ah yes, Jobs I Do Not Want - Insurance Company Loss Adjuster (Sinkholes).

I caved in limestone, (mostly), around Ingleton, around a previously Roman copper mine in Cheshire & around a fallen in caldera (we *think*) south of Santander in Spain. [Yes, I'd spent 3 weeks in Spain & return with no suntan but a startlingly improved bar vocabulary.] We *always* checked the Met reports, as proper planning means you know where to retreat to as the water levels *rise*. And look for a bunch of similarly skew-minded enthusiasts to come bringing a brew kit & kendal mint cake in the event of this sort of misjudgement. All being well, you'd all get out with nothing worse than some new folk songs learned.

Having to go down under someone's house, without the team, aware that your foothold may dissolve? Neine Danke! Not least as taking a salmon line with you would be insensitive. (And in a crunch, inadequate.)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2016 at 10:01AM
    Not quite Lytchett, armyknife, they're on top of one of the smaller hills! But not far away.

GQ, limestone's even worse for sinkholes - you can't help realising you're on chalk & it's fragile, but limestone is a solid rock that dissolves - scary! And where I come from originally, the predominately-granite area is quite literally undermined; it's rich in tin, silver & amethyst and people have been mining there since long before anyone thought to keep track of where the abandoned workings were...

Not long ago, we were in the Pyrenees and had a chance to visit a local gorge, where they've built a walkway through the limestone. It's an awesome experience, as you walk on a gantry just above stream-level, with literally hundreds of feet of limestone towering above you on both sides, carved into a series of caverns at different levels by this fairly little stream over the last 10,000 years. Which in geological time, is just a blink of the eye... the rock faces are netted off, but you walk underneath some giant boulders which have come crashing down and got stuck; one or two are resting on what looks like just an inch or so of rock on one side. Never mind the geology, I was wondering just what impelled people to go underneath these & find the route through in the first place...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    We're all so different jko.

I've just found out my body isn't processing B12 (found in meat amongst other things) which has lead to a myriad of health problems but the most relevant here is that the situation I'm in has likely lowered my immunity and most likely why I picked up pneumonia twice.

I'm ill enough with eating red meat, imagine if I gave it up :eek:

I'm joining those on depending on medication and quite concerned as I need to have injections at the surgery so won't be able to build up a stock pile. I don't think supplements cut it in terms of red blood cell production. If anyone has PA how do you ensure you're covered in emergency?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I was talking to a prospective house purchaser about the mines in the chalk under this city the other week. As the planning dept can tell them, the search will throw up the chalk mines we know about, but most of them are unknown until they manifest as a significant problem such as the front wall or gable end falling off your house.Usually between one moment and another.

Convos with the public regarding potholes in the roads sometimes follow the lines of it's only about a foot across but it's about 3 feet deep and getting deeper every day and the hole goes sideways under the tarmac for several yards........ :eek:

If you don't cordon that off PDQ, you'll have a heavy vehicle collapse the carriageway and possibly get stuck in the road.

Highways inspectors and building surveyors have interesting lives in this borough. You can go spelunking under the city centre. Well, you can, I'm a claustrophobe and wouldn't do it on a bet.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Hi Fuddle, I have psoriatic arthritis and self inject. The drug I take is heavily controlled and absolutely no option to stockpile. I also rely on a slew of oral meds to control the side effects of the injection, for pain and to control iron levels and nerve damage. I only have a small supply of these. Since I'm on a ~"good" streak at the minute I could manage for 4 weeks, assuming I've just filled a prescription, otherwise I'm stuffed. In a "normal" emergency if I ran out for any reason I could go to A & E I guess, and my pharmacist is very helpful too. In a prepping situation my condition would worsen quickly to where I would be unable to walk, or to use my hands, and the bit of energy I have would plummet.
    My prepping mostly is to allow me to stay home in bad weather etc - I wouldn't survive anything major. I'm very susceptible to infection, and often need to get to medical assistance quickly for that, which is an added pressure.
    I try not to think too much about major incidents, just focussing on more likely scenarios and how I would manage them.
    hth, WCS
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thank you WCS :) autoimmune diseases are just awful. They are (or were) rife amongst my mam and aunties. I've never been bothered before aside from a little vitiligo on my arm but now I have pernicious anaemia. I don't think about major emergency situations either but my mind likes to have a little back up plan and I think, like yourself, I should just stay calm.

For me I think it's about restoring levels quickly then keeping on top of things. It's just the meaning of the word pernicious frightens the life out of me (no pun intended)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2016 at 10:45AM
    Fuddle you can't stockpile B12. What I did for the RV was to buy sublingual tablets of B12 on amazon - put under the tongue and let is dissolve. They give him a wee boost if he is running low, but I don't think they would do for longterm, sooner or later you need the injection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure