Looking for the silver lining

Comments

• Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Re falls

Robin has perfectly described something available from Mangar - however not so small as she describes.

I've got the bath one, but they make one specifically for getting off the floor elk lifting cushion http://mangar.co.uk/patient-lifting/

There are others worth looking on the NRS website.

Thoughts:

Can you get one through a referral to an occupational therapist?
    Remember you can sign the VAT form so you don't pay VAT as its zero rated for disabled people.
    A friendly independent OT ( me!) may be able to help you will a health professional rate !

On an intercity from Edinburgh will PM you when I get home

BM
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,242 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thank you you've all been so helpful :) Those lifting gadgets look great BM.

Had a lovely lunch with friends today and cocktails after. So nice to do something other than work or sort out Mr SA. Back to the grindstone tomorrow though.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Sun_Addict
    Mr SA now back on the pester wagon this time it's a car he's GOT to have. Told him he needs to speak to doctor about when he can drive again and he'll have to be assessed first. His sister has set him off telling him he can get a motability car. Pointed out to him that this isn't free like she says, he will have to swap his mobility component of PIP for it. Tried to make him realise this means we will be worse off financially and we need to weigh up whether it's worth it. His reply was he'll go back to work roofing and get a job that gives you a van. Banging my head against a brick wall!!! Just hope he's not going to ruin the weekend by going on about it all the time. I've been so busy at work all week and I'm desperate for a break :(

On the plus side the garden table and chairs I ordered from Mr T have arrived and they're brilliant. Bench coming today. Real bargain :)
  • Oh dear, I feel your pain! Would he be content with a "I'll look into wether you could get a motability car next week" reply? Just to give you peace this weekend. Would he have to retake tests etc to drive again? How long has it been since his last seizure? Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 15 August 2015 at 11:07AM
    'Morning Sun.A, :hello:

Oh Lordy, MrSA is back on about wanting a car - aargh do feel for you Sun.A!
    As his sister started this perhaps you could ask her to get all the info together and type it out; actual costs, conditions, PIP & DVLC implications etc etc. ..Not saying it's a good idea in your situation right now, but let Sis do the legwork - then maybe she'll realise the impracticability of her suggestion at the moment, and stop winding up MrSA!

Had a look at the link Bubbles put up - all those aids seem to be designed A) to be used by carers for less active patients, and B) huge appliances requiring the company's mobile compressor (presume that's what's in the 'Airflo Plus' box?).
    I was thinking of a much smaller version of the 'Elk' lifter which wouldn't need a carer to operate - therefore help to improve MrSA's feeling of independence (without demanding expenditure of over a grand!).
    A firm that designs and makes bouncy castles* should be able to knock up a small cushion with a valve to fit one of these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/tools-maintenance/pumps/f/co2-canisters#!
    * Used to know one such chap, but of course he's busy right through the summer taking his big castles and slides to functions right across Europe - no idea where he is at the moment, unfortunately.

But perhaps something more immediately available and simpler might give MrSA enough support to get himself off the ground without help? MrG00gle found these:
    http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/walking-sticks/walking-stick-seats/walking-stick-seat-view-large?gclid=CjwKEAjwxruuBRC9lLGslqjs-HISJAAkq21snWqk3LwseOisBUxLJqxmvQHU5cjQlPJ3f2Qnwy3F8xoCqMjw_wcB

http://www.welcomemobility.co.uk/Products/European-Style-Quad-Cane__PR30148SB.aspx
    ..The first one looks more promising; easier to use as a simple walking stick at home, in the garden and when out and about, plus can be changed to the seated position by MrSA himself if he does happen to fall, then grabbing each side of the seat would give him a good purchase to haul himself upright (more stable than having both his hands closer together as would be required using the second type above).

..Of course am assuming MrSA does have determination to succeed, sufficient strength in his arms to get himself vertical and good enough balance to straighten and push down with first one then the other leg, once he's on his knees?
    If not, well then I apologise for suggesting something that won't be practical, alas. :o

Meanwhile, looks like you've got a perfect summer day for enjoying your new MSE garden furniture and the improvements MrSA and his carer have wrought in the garden itself. :):)
  • Sun_Addict
    Hello both

Have looked into Motability scheme for Mr SA and have managed to convince him he needs to wait until he gets the go ahead from doctor, plus have an assessment first. He's happy with this thankfully. Consultant said it would need to be at least 2 years since his shunt was fitted, which was July. He hasn't had a seizure for about 2 years, not since the shunt as far as I know. The Motability scheme includes insurance, road tax, breakdown, etc, everything but fuel really. It would be great to have transport again, if he is unable to get back driving then I'm going to have to do it.

Robin, his problem is his upper and lower body strength and this is why he struggles to get up. He's never regained this sadly (but a small price to pay for his life). Hard to say what would help him, he really needs to be more careful and not put himself in situations where he might fall. You are really helpful researching the aids, bless you for that :)

Thankfully he's been ok for the past few days. I guess it's something we're going to have to live with. At least his carer is just a phone call away and Mr SA always has his phone with him.

7 more work get ups :)
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just popping by.. :hello:

Really hope you can get something sorted for Mr SA. It would really boost his confidence wouldn't it if he didn't need to call for back up. But baby steps..he's doing so well really - especially the improvements in the garden. Have to say that driving for work and getting on a roof (and up and down from it too!):eek::eek::eek: sounds like you have skilfully avoided those battles for now..

Have a great hols. Sorry I have missed where you are off to this time? Am sure it'll be lush - you seem to always pick a good 'un
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Glad Mr SA has calmed down re car. not fun trying to fend those kinds of conversations. Carer sounds good tho - helpful.

Just wanted to wish you happy holidays :)

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Don't you just love it when other family members have "good ideas". Sometimes wish they would keep them to themselves.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • Sun_Addict
    Thanks all :) We're off to Ibiza again Brizzled, 2 weeks on Friday and counting. They've had floods and storms there today! Hopefully not when we're there, although every time we've been there (even in July) it has rained a little bit, floods one year. It will be our 5th visit so not put off, we love the atmosphere there, you can't beat it, it's whatever you want it to be.

If (IF!) Mr SA is allowed to drive again we will get a Motability car. It will probably be the only affordable way to do it as I'm pretty certain his insurance will be sky high given his brain damage. It's only a few weeks ago that the mobility scooter lady said she was concerned about his slow reactions. To be honest I'll be nervous about getting into a car with him. He can be quite vacant at times and unpredictable. He seems to forget he hasn't just got mobility issues it's his brain damage too.

Now watching a programme about spending on BBC1, might be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport