The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lightbulb moment 11/12/07 (my Birthday)
    Debts at highest 66K
    Debt Fee Day 08/06/2013

Its taken a while but we've got there. Trying not to look at the whole amount and taking small steps made it more bearable. For anyone interested in my ramblings, hopefully here's a link to my diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1000559
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • lucielle wrote: »
    Lightbulb moment 11/12/07 (my Birthday)
    Debts at highest 66K
    Debt Fee Day 08/06/2013

Its taken a while but we've got there. Trying not to look at the whole amount and taking small steps made it more bearable. For anyone interested in my ramblings, hopefully here's a link to my diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1000559
    L

Many congratulations.

HHx
  • MissL46
    MissL46 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Lightbulb moment: Summer 2009

Debts at their highest: around £35,000

DFD: 20th May 2013

Pearl of wisdom: Never keep your financial problems to yourself as it causes undue stress. I've learned that the hard way and I will take stock of anything said by family. Being single I eventually confided in my parents and siblings. As of right now I have a healthy bank account, cash ISA and savings (due to PPI reclaim from my bank) and I've never been happier. :)
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I suppose I had better do this, although compared to some of the stories & amounts on here, mine is a pittance, hence why I have put it off! Still every success story should be here!

Lightbulb moment: July 2012 I started panicking when my statutory maternity pay kicked in but I didn't actually start doing anything until 27th September 2012.

Debts at highest were: £2364 & had been hovering there for 2 years.

Debt free date: 6th March 2013

Pearl of Wisdom: For me, it was all about taking back control. I completely lost track of my finances & instead of facing them, I just stopped looking at my internet banking... for years! The BEST thing I did was to get an accounting app on my phone and painstakingly write every balance, every direct debit & other transaction made in & out, including paypal/topcashback & quidco balances, & even down to what shrapnel was in my pocket at any given time & where it was going. I started that in October, and carried it on through to the end of January, by which point I had dropped my outgoings by over £800 per month & only had £463 interest free debt remaining and a clear run at paying it off. Accountability kept me strong at resisting those "it's only a £1" moments.

Forum thread that helped me through: NinjaSavingKat's Ultimate Challenge 457 days/£16,600 - for anyone looking for an inspiration, this lady is the one to follow. She picked me up, whizzed me along, dusted off my knees when I fell over and shouted at me when I needed it. She even has me eating lentil stew! :rotfl:
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Bubbalou
    Bubbalou Posts: 59 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 November 2013 at 1:23PM
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    June 2008

b. Debts at their highest
    *editted for security*

c. Debt-Free Date

5/9/2012

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

Paying off debt feels good!! not bad, it's such a high! I think the more people knew this the easier it might be for them - like giving up smoking!

e. Which MSE guides helped you

Budget Calculator and Planner

f. Which forum threads helped you
    Debt Free wannabe
    Posting my SOA

g. And if you had a debt diary on DFW, a link to it
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 June 2013 at 8:24PM
    Well they are all now paid off as well, after months / years of struggling, working 2 jobs / 7 days all year except December each year, gone and finished, as paid.

I cutg back on what I was spending, getting rid of my now ex husband!!, rejigging credit cards to 0% and now all paid off (£63K gone!!)

Keep a list of EVERY THING you spend
    Check if cheaper is available,
    Change suppliers of gas / electric
    Meal plan
    Don't go shopping when you are hungry as you will spend more!!

Badge please!!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • fifidfw
    fifidfw Posts: 29 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all, heres mine

Light bulb moment - July 2009

Debts at highest - £13000

DFD - 29th may 2012

Pearl of wisdom - Check bank account daily, cut all credit cards and budget, budget and budget some more and get support and advice from fellow money savers :)
    :T:T:T I'm finally debt free:T:T:T
  • JES_F1
    JES_F1 Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 22 June 2013 at 9:34PM
    Date of lightbulb moment: January 2008.

Debts at highest: £45,566. (Paid back almost £50,000.)

Debt-free date: June 2013.

Pearl of wisdom: Realise that the "little luxuries" add up! For example, I was buying large takeaway coffees every work day out of habit, which equated to about £60 a month or £720 a year.

General comments:

The DFW forum and MSE were invaluable for advice and support, to realise that you're not alone. Though I've not posted for a while, I've continued to read the forum regularly. It's a brilliant place.

The CCCS/Step Change have also been amazing. My DMP went smoothly with just a couple of relatively minor issues where creditors got difficult - I mainly dealt with these myself but it was always good to know CCCS/Step Change were there if/when I needed them to step in.

I'm now going to be £900 a month better off. I'm excited and scared at the same time! I shall save some but look forward to being able to spend (sensibly) without having to count every penny.

GOOD LUCK to all future DFWs and CONGRATULATIONS to all those that have made it!

:j:j:j
    Debt Jan 2008: £45,566. *** June 2013: DEBT FREE! ***
    Paid back just under £50,000 due to some interest added.

Dealt with my debt through a Step Change
    (CCCS) DMP.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member #240.
  • Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2013 at 3:41AM
    Hi all,

Well, I am finally able to post on this thread (there was a time I never thought this would happen :rotfl:)

Light bulb moment - March 2007

Debts at highest - around £23,000

DFD - 25th June 2013 (date stepchange pay the creditors)

Pearl of wisdom - there are a couple...
    • Check your banking daily
    • Make a payment a day (even if it is 50p)
    • Drop a brand in beauty products
    • I used to have basic beauty days (economy shower gel, shampoo and deodorant)
    • Cut down on the number of nights out you have.....yes you may only spent £20 a week, but that is £80 at the end of the month
    • There is no shame in getting help with your debts
    • Set up a spreadsheet or a list of your bills and tick them off as they go from your account
    • Believe in yourself that you can pay off the debts

A massive thank you to everyone on the dfw board who have listened to my rants and answered any questions I may have had :D

Now to treat myself then start saving

Take care all
    Candy x
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Well Done to everyone who has become to debt free. Enjoy your new found wealth!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback