Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've started a bit if Xmas shopping, and managed to put a couple of small prizes away for pressies which will help. Cruise sounds lovely.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow well done on the weight loss cath :T Hi yukki thanks for popping in :)

Xmas shopping went ok, only got a few bits , the toy story teddy and some really nice posh candles in flutterbyes £12.99 reduced to £5.50 each.

I did a biggish shop at mr t too and got 3 bottles of drink for xmas presents - 10 yr old whiskey with £10 off and vodka and also honey flavoured jim beam in the sale (my family sound like a bunch of alcoholics :rotfl:) so I've made a start.

Budget has taken a bashing as I bought some food In mr t too, as I was too tired to go onto aldi as well, mind you a lot of of was value stuff so not really dearer, just not such good quality.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    It a been a very busy week, I'm off today and cleaning up my very messy house and doing the washing.

Dh has just called today and the other lady that does the same job as me has left, she handed her notice on Tuesday to leave in a months time and then left today :( she is having family issues but has been with us for 25 years. I think I'm going to have to work more days and I really don't want to! It takes a long time to Train someone up as it's a very old fashioned unusual job so you can't just get someone else qualified.

Eek, I can barely cope working three days a week :eek:k
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    I've had a VERY expensive day shopping yesterday :o I have bought the boys both a ps4 for xmas :eek: All they wanted was money towards them for xmas and no presents this year , they will defiantly not be expecting us to buy them as we never spend that much on their gifts.

I'm justifying it to myself as :

We didn't have a summer holiday
    I am earning now and all of my wages goes to ops
    Me and dh are going on a cruise without them
    We never buy anything for them except birthdays and xmas
    They are not greedy and are expecting to save up anyway
    I love xmas and want to spoil them

Can you tell how out of character this is :D

It has taken me quite a way over the xmas budget I had planned but due to the "live off £1500 until xmas" challenge I can afford to cover the difference. Still slightly in shock over spending so much though :rotfl:

Weight loss is about 4lbs so far, nothing lost the first week I dieted, then 4lb lost the second week when I didn't! Clearly chilli crisps and wine is the way to go if you want to lose weight :D

Dh and dd are at work today so I'm pottering about indoors , maybe a bit of batch cooking After a rummage around the cupboards, I might have a go at some of the receipes in a girl called jacks book I got for xmas.

Not sure what I've spent up to date on the £1500 challenge but I know I'm pretty on track as I've been drawing the cash out weekly, back later with an update after going through the accounts and purse :)
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss.
    if I stop drinking I make up the calorie difference so it doesnt help.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Shouldn't have weighed myself again, clearly yesterday was a blip I have put on 2 lb :(

I had a very lazy day yesterday, so I should make up for it today really, defiantly meal plan and shopping day I think.

My lot (kids, not dh) are soooo fussy and as teenagers are worse than they used to be, I might do a weeks easy meals of meat , spuds, veg , gravy. Everything I seem to cook gets left mostly at the moment, and two of them would quite happily not eat than eat what they don't like.

It's very depressing because as little kids they used to be great , I didn't really buy baby food it was all from scratch or they ate what we had so I'm not sure where I went wrong :rotfl:

I think I might go to the big frozen store and get some different frozen chicken etc. that unfortunately goes down well, and then go to the farm shop for a load of veg which luckily they will eat.

Still need to work out the budget first :D
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cooked from scratch for my dd and she got fussy as she gets older. Thankfully she's still young enough for me to tell her she has to eat it but I can see the same issue arising here in a few years time.
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    My kids are the same.
    I find myself chanting
    "They'll eat if they're hungry" over and over.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    S
    It's very depressing because as little kids they used to be great , I didn't really buy baby food it was all from scratch or they ate what we had so I'm not sure where I went wrong :rotfl:

If it's any consolation the same thing happened with my two. I blame the God of Smugness for getting his revenge :rotfl:. DD will eat most things now but DS still pulls a face at veg and if he does eat it he eats it first so it's over and done with (he's 27 :D).

My proudest moment was when we went for Indian for the first time, much to their disgust as they'd both decided they didn't like 'foreign food' . They then discovered that 'mum's special chicken stew' they'd been eating for a few years was actually chicken curry :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi GG love the idea of chicken stew :rotfl:

I have not been to Aldi for a few weeks now, mainly as the few times I have tried to park in their car park it's full and queuing up the road to get in, so some trips to mr t on the way home from work, plenty of veg yellow sticker veg after work. Then Sunday after yet another failed trip to aldi , I tried lidl again which is a 10 min drive away.

Got some great stuff, not as nice a shopping experience but I got loads of fruit, plus other stuff and spent only £46 in total. Last night the kids had their meatballs £1.50 for 12 x fresh ones - not sure of that's cheap as I never buy them.

The diet has been ditched for the moment, I am swaying from eating not a lot to pigging out :rotfl: I think I need to stop thinking about it for a week or two and hopefully be a bit more "ready" we have our mini cruise in three weeks so No chance of any significant weight loss before hand in think :(

Budget still on track, I think there is about £1180 ish left out of £1500
    , I did write it down yesterday but lost the scrap of paper! We have more food than usual , not sure how that happened I guess I should do this more often :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback