£10,000 in debt @ 27

Hi All,

I have been using these forums for the past few months as a source of support (its amazing to feel that you're not alone) and have decided to post for some advice! I think I am doing everything I can to dig myself out of debt but I just wanted to ask you guys in case I am missing anything.

Basically, I am in £10,000 worth of debt due to a gambling problem that spiralled out control within weeks. This is being dealt with - I am receiving counselling, I have no access to gambling websites and I confided in my partner who offers me support. The debt has been shifted to 2x 0% credit cards and I have an existing overdraft with first direct which is 0%. Below is my SOA - I suppose I am basically looking for reassurance. My partner and I are looking to move from a flat to a semi detatched house in about a years time and my biggest worry is that this debt will stop us from getting a joint mortgage (he doesn't know the extent of my debt and I haven't told him as I don't think he should be burdened with this problem).

Our arrangement is that I pay all bills and he pays his mortgage, in the understanding that I would save money to go towards a home together next year. This is non negotiable as I want to be able to contribute to our house, and dont want to sponge off of him. This money goes into my lifetime ISA and I just view it as another bill. At the moment, the mortgage is in his name.

Household Information
Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 0
Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details[
Monthly income after tax................ 1600
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 0
Other income............................ 0
Total monthly income.................... 0

Monthly Expense Details
Mortgage.................................... 0
Council tax............................. 110
Electricity............................. 64
Gas..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 0 (included in council tax)
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 34
TV Licence.............................. 10
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
Internet Services....................... 35
Groceries etc. ......................... 150
Clothing................................50
Petrol/diesel........................... 80
Road tax................................ 0
Car..........................................151
Car Insurance........................... 34
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0 (included in the service plan I have with my car)
Car parking............................. 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
Contents insurance...................... 14
Life Insurance…………………….0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30
Haircuts................................ 10
Entertainment........................... 150
Holiday................................. 0
Overdraft repayment……..0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Gym..................................... 0
Factor Fees..........................40
Gadget Insurance................7
Breakdown Cover.................10
Lifetime ISA............................200

Total monthly expenses……. 1179...........

Assets
Cash.................................... 5875 (this is in a Lifetime ISA to be used when we go for a joint mortgage)
Car(s).................................. 0 (car is on PCP so dont consider it an asset)
Total Assets............................ 5875

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
Tesco…………….……..5366………150…… 0
MBNA.......……………..3557………150…...0
First Direct OD.....…….500………....0…...…0

Total unsecured debts.....9423.........

Monthly Budget Summary
Total monthly income………………..1600
Expenses (including HP & secured debts)......1179
Available for debt repayments………..421
Monthly Unsecured debt repayments.......300
Amount left after debt repayments....... 121

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 5875
Total HP & Secured debt................. 0
Total Unsecured debt.................... 9423
Net Assets.............................. -3548

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 7:52PM
    If you stop the ISA payments for 3 months you could clear the banks OD.

Any chance of overtime ?

Mobile phone is high at £34, change to sim free phone and a monthly sim only plan, depends when your contract is due to end.

What does the entertainment cover ?
    Can it be cut back ?

Whats factor fees all about ?

Could you reduce entertainment and put that money towards the debts ?

I know Gadget Insurance is only £7 but is it needed ?
  • sm817
    sm817 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hey, thanks for your reply!

No chance of overtime but have been looking for a temporary part time job to help over summer.

Mobile phone contract due to end in February 2019 so got a while left on that one unfortunately.

Entertainment covers things like cinema, eating out etc. Also fitness classes and hobbies such as climbing that we do together. I agree this can be cut back. Because my partner doesn't know how much debt I am in (he knows there are credit cards) he's of the opinion that we shouldn't let it impact on our enjoyment of life...

Factor fees are a quarterly bill of about 240 that covers things like window cleaning, bin emptying, maintenance and repairs. Due to the housing development I live in unfortunately these are not optional. Part of the reason why we are looking to move.

Thanks for the ideas though, will give them some thought!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,454
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    If the debt is not cleared by the time you appply for the mortgage this may affect the amount you can borrow but the critical thing is no gambling transactions can show on your bank statements as these are red flags to lenders. Good that you have removed websites etc but you need to make sure you continue with counselling so you don't lapse.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    The way I see it if you want the debt then you need to make various cut backs. If you dont want the debt to impact on your enjoyment of life then carry on as you are but a mortgage might be a long way off or you might not get as much your hope for.

At the minute your spending more than what you earn so how do you manage to pay £300 to the cards.
  • sm817
    sm817 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi, not sure where you're getting that from? I earn 1600 per month, and all outgoings including my 300 debt repayments, are currently 1479. Definitely living within my means as I have not placed any purchases on credit cards or loans in about 2 years (except for the gambling obviously...)

For further info on the gambling, I have switched bank accounts to ensure there is no trace on my account. Have not gambled for about 7 months and feel like I am coping well with it. I understand there is no cure and will be in recovery for the remainder of my days.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Gadget insurance and breakdown cover you're paying £17 a month for. I bet your partner is paying the same? If you got a joint flexplus from nationwide it would cover both things for both of you for £13 a month instead. Lower excess as well for the phones.

I notice you haven't included the car in your debts. How much is that because it goes against you too. Is your council tax over 10 months or 12?

And how much are you planning to have saved? What's your goal? Xx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • If you pay the 300pm and the left over 121 towards the debt then you will be debt free in 23 months, so two years. If you want to be debt free ina year then you would need to pay 9423 decided by 12 = 785, leaving you 364.25pm to find to pay towards debts.

I would be tempted to speak to your partner and ask if you can buy in two years. Yes you will be paying the 421pm, but you will keep saving the 200pm, meaning you will be debt free in two years with over 10k in the ISA. A much better position to buy.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    sm817 wrote: »
    Hi, not sure where you're getting that from? I earn 1600 per month, and all outgoings including my 300 debt repayments, are currently 1479. Definitely living within my means as I have not placed any purchases on credit cards or loans in about 2 years (except for the gambling obviously...)

May bad, ignore my last post, I was sure id read it right.
    My apologies sm817
  • Download Gamban blocking software and close that avenue for good!!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,027
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When we took out our joint mortgage, we were asked by the building society advisor if we had any debt. We did, the largest of which was a £16k loan my husband took out to cover the loss he made selling his previous property. Even though we were intending to pay this off in full using some of the profit from selling my house (which we did do), we were told the amount we could borrow would be reduced by what we owed..This didn't affect us, as we didn't want to borrow as much as that anyway, but I just wanted to add my voice to those who think getting your debts paid of first & going into your mortgage application with a nice clean slate is probably a good idea.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure