The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KC, I have never met someone who knows their own mind quite like DD, she makes me look moderate and open to change :rotfl:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think that's just the internet SSS ;)

I mostly liked the (entirely fair) comments that they're smug gits :D

I just had a read of the first page or two of comments and was about to use that exact phrase
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    SL - were you aware that our fave wine producer now does a sparkling one? Something like a sparkling picpoul de penet, would try it but it's as expensive as cheap champagne :think:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    SL - were you aware that our fave wine producer now does a sparkling one? Something like a sparkling picpoul de penet, would try it but it's as expensive as cheap champagne :think:

Ooh! thanks, I will keep an eye open for that. I just did a quick scoot round "My Supermarket" to see if anyone there is stocking it but sadly not yet. We live in a small Village so don't really have the choice of wine merchants you do in a City. There is an Adnams Wine Shop in the nearby town though (well, it is a Suffolk Brewery). I don't know how much discretion they have but I might ask.

I did try a more generic search and not sure if you are aware (and I know there are few of these in Glasgow) Waitress stock his Sauv Blanc (on offer £6.74 atm) and his Reserve Languedoc Blanc at £9.39. I've just received my JL vouchers (£40 thanks to my season tickets and Son's holiday) so I might go and try these or Sainsbobs do his Elegant Frog Viognier for £7.50. They all get 5* reviews.

We opened a lovely bottle of Douro (Quinta Do Crasto 2014 Reserva) last night. I definitely recommend this, if you can find it - again, I bought it on offer but the upper end of what I would pay and definitely a bit of a special occasion wine. Delicious though.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edited 12 March 2018 at 10:07AM
    Good tips SL - that Portugese one sounds lovely - not a country whose wine we have experimented with all that much to date :beer:

Another sleepless night, another Monday, think that just about sums things up? :(

£207.22 paid off a CC and I am inching closer to 60% credit utilisation. By my estimate, another 8 weeks and banks will consider me as a maybe for future BT. At the same time, our 'actual' debt (debt vs. savings) has crept up by £500 or so over the last couple of months. As I've been watching the expenditure like a hawk (with the exception of Mother's Day), I'm wondering if the obvious answer is the likely one and that I've just been making too many little payments (TTs and the like) as a result of my desire to see the needle shift? :think:

It's quite likely than I'm still paying faster than is strictly sensible, with a regular payment every Monday as well as any identified savings on payday being sent over as a separate payment. My reason for this was that I fear that the savings end up falling into a black hole of expenditure if I don't pay them towards a CC straight away :o

Edit: I found a better explanation - I'd deleted a £1,200 savings account off my spreadsheets in error :j
  • edinburgher
    I never realised - because of the way we do accounting today is the end of our financial year! Because the current spreadsheet is relatively new, I've only captured NW on it for the last 9 months, with an average increase of just over £2,300 a month.

In real terms, that would mean 'Barista FI' in under 9.5 years (before I turned 45). Ok, so at the current rate we're not going to be retired by 40, but all signs are good for young 50s :D That would do fine, we're still trying to encourage the last parental laggards to cut the salary cord in their mid-60s.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    At the same time, our 'actual' debt (debt vs. savings) has crept up by £500 or so over the last couple of months.
    Edit: I found a better explanation - I'd deleted a £1,200 savings account off my spreadsheets in error :j
    So rather than £500 down you're £700 up - excellent error :T. (I may have noticed at the weekend that our 5k of Premium Bonds wasn't included in our net worth :o)

In real terms, that would mean 'Barista FI' in under 9.5 years (before I turned 45). Ok, so at the current rate we're not going to be retired by 40, but all signs are good for young 50s :D That would do fine, we're still trying to encourage the last parental laggards to cut the salary cord in their mid-60s.
    :T:T:T Great stuff, though I'd rethink the 'Barista' if I was you - the job is notorious for wrecking shoulders, arms & wrists :(
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    Agreed - but 'part-time clerical make-work FI' just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

With a little luck, I'm possibly being a little pessimistic in terms of timings, I haven't updated Mrs E's pension value in 6 months and my 2 DB pensions will be uprated for inflation in the next couple of months.
  • edinburgher
    Sold a book on Am@zon - £20.63 paid off a CC.

Thank you universe, I needed that :j
  • edinburgher
    I couldn't resist :o

£336.54 in savings identified for April and paid off a CC :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts