Discussion ... ASHP(Air/Air) with Solar pv ....

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2017 at 8:14PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    ... I didn't expect to get to play with the AC so soon, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been needed at all last year, but ...... I really don't like being too hot, so the benefit the last 2 days has certainly been worth a lot of money to me, but hard to quantify.
    Hi

It's still nice & cool in most of the house when compared to outside, but has started to become a little too warm upstairs (insulation, insulation, insu ...). For the last couple of nights we've opened bedroom windows overnight to let the heat out, before closing them again during the day to keep it out.

At this time of year we get sun at the back of the house in the evening which often provides some unwelcome solar-gain, so yesterday our unit was run for around 15-20 minutes on a very low setting to bring the air temperature down a little ... first time this year though.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks all for the great advice. Lots to think about. Currently wood is free but unlikely to stay that way forever. The log burner is in the middle section of lounge (to half of it). The very top section we currently don't use. The dining room below it is only used occasionally (actually it's music rehearsal space).

I would be looking to put the o/s unit on the RHS of the lounge area but you've also raised a concern that it may be too near the boundary and upset next door. That is also the north side of the house so perhaps not the best location?

I suppose my issue is that my major heating cost is now keeping the base temperature reasonable in the rest of the house - ok so bedrooms and bathrooms as the kitchen 'heats itself' when in use.

I still like the idea but suspect it's not yet viable.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    May 2017 update for using the Toshiba Air Conditioner/Heat Pump.

Comparing Gas & Electric use from May last year have ended up with the following figures:
    Gas use down to 12kWh compared to 97kWh last year (a saving of just over 87%) :j GCH got triggered to come on for a short period on a couple of cold mornings.:(

Electric import the same as last year at 94kWh.

From checking the historical records at Accuweather.com for weather, it has been very similar month to last year, except for the short heat wave last week, where the cooling from the ASHP worked a treat :rotfl:
  • BrianD
    BrianD Posts: 55 Forumite
    I have found this a very informative and interesting thread and am about to obtain quotes for one of the Daseikai 8 heat pumps but before doing so can I ask if either Z or ASB would still purchase the same product or is there something newer which you would choose instead?

I have a 3.68K system of west facing panels installed in 2011 and based in Darlington
  • ASavvyBuyer
    edited 1 June 2017 at 9:39PM
    BrianD wrote: »
    I have found this a very informative and interesting thread and am about to obtain quotes for one of the Daseikai 8 heat pumps but before doing so can I ask if either Z or ASB would still purchase the same product or is there something newer which you would choose instead?

I have a 3.68K system of west facing panels installed in 2011 and based in Darlington

Have not really be looking for later models, but have not noticed any being promoted. If we were having another one installed, would still probably go for the same unit.

However, may be worth taking a look at some of the models listed here http://www.topten.eu/?page=monosplit-3kw as some appear to be even more efficient than the Toshiba Unit we have, but a lot depends on how controllable they are.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2017 at 12:52PM

Hi

I'd certainly go for the same model again, here's a couple of reasons why ...

If you look back through the thread you'll gauge that the decision for our particular model resulted from comparison of loads of different models from most of the leading manufacturers and a realisation that the specifications and functionality of whatever models we looked at were generally being subconsciously measured against the Daiseikai range.

When looking into various alternatives I decided at an early stage that it would be better to effectively ignore the headline seasonal performance (SCOP) which manufacturers use in their specifications and concentrate more on the COP within the range of temperatures which would be likely during the daytime in the shoulder months (Spring/Autumn) when we would be using the heat-pump to utilise our own generation to provide the heat we wanted. The idea behind this was that as we intended to use the heat-pump when PV generation conditions allow, we would need to take into consideration that ... (i) the sun doesn't shine at night in the shoulder months ... and ... (ii) we had no intention to use the heat-pump as the main source of heating during the Winter ... so why would we need to consider a performance measure which took low overnight temperatures and temperatures outside the shoulder month period into account .... this effectively means that, although SCOP is a decent headline comparative measure, for what is being discussed on this thread, you need to delve a little deeper - which in itself can be pretty hard with some manufacturer published specifications, but others seem to be far more open to providing the detail you'd need ...

Amongst the myriad of other functional and performance information which would be relevant to the decision making process when attempting to match the capabilities of the heat-pump to those of domestic-scale PV generation is the range of operation of the heat-pump. A basic heat-pump effectively works on an on/off basis, controlled by a thermostat, therefore a small basic 3kW unit operating at a COP of around 4 will be drawing 750W, resulting in additional electricity imports when it's cloudy even with a 4kWp PV system (it's currently overcast but bright here & we're generating 489W). Moving away from the basic models we have inverter based units which generally have better comparative performance statistics, but importantly have the ability to vary their supply of heat proportionally to thermostatic set-point demand and the range of this variability becomes relevant to what we're looking to achieve ... some of the inverter heat-pumps with similar COP statistics when we were looking had a performance range which required a minimum of 400W of electricity up to their maximum, whilst others had the ability to ramp down to close to l00W .... anyone already familiar with the variability of PV generation will appreciate that being able to utilise the heat-pump to provide over 500Wt of shoulder month background heating whilst consuming close to 100W to 120W of electricity becomes very handy in dull/cloudy conditions ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

... some of the inverter heat-pumps with similar COP statistics when we were looking had a performance range which required a minimum of 400W of electricity up to their maximum, whilst others had the ability to ramp down to close to l00W .... anyone already familiar with the variability of PV generation will appreciate that being able to utilise the heat-pump to provide over 500Wt of shoulder month background heating whilst consuming close to 100W to 120W of electricity becomes very handy in dull/cloudy conditions ....

HTH
    Z

That was the main deciding point for us choosing the Toshiba Unit. It's controllability and ability to work at low power levels. Most of the time, we have found it is only using between 100 & 200 watts (apart from when starting up or on a boost).
    The link that Z provided to the Technical Manual http://www.solar-klima.com/DAISEIKAI_EN.pdf was very useful for showing the COP at various outside temperatures.
  • BrianD
    Thank you for the comprehensive replies from Z and ASB it is most appreciated and I am starting out on the quotation stage for the same Daseikai 8 as you both have with some local suppliers one of whom came today and I await their quote.

Does the 5% VAT rate still apply for domestic supply and install, I meant to ask the chap this morning but forgot to?
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Does the 5% VAT rate still apply for domestic supply and install, I meant to ask the chap this morning but forgot to?

It applied when we had ours installed and it appears to still apply according to the HMRC website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services#power-utilities-energy-and-energy-saving-heating

One thing you have to make sure of, to qualify for the 5% rate, is that the installer puts the supply & install costs on the same invoice. i.e. does not charge for the supply on one invoice and the install on a seperate invoice. Also, make sure you get any electrical work needed included in the price.
  • BrianD
    Many thanks for that excellent advice I will make sure to follow it to the letter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback