Tesco Credit Cards compromised

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 May 2017 at 2:44AM
    ichase wrote: »
    I have an excellent rating on clearscore.. over 550 and noodle is over 650 both well above UK and local area average

The fact that you are quoting credit scores shoes shows you don't understand what lenders look for when your applying for credit. So you should take some time to understand your credit history by reading on this forum.

Also noodles are a food item made from dough and definitely won't help you get credit regardless of if you have 650 of them or a million!.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    takman wrote: »
    The fact that you are quoting credit scores shoes you don't understand what lenders looks for when your applying for credit. So you should take some time to understand your credit history by reading on this forum.

Also noodles are a food item made from dough and definitely won't help you get credit regardless of if you have 650 of them or a million!.

Credit shoes?
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Credit shoes?

It's seems quite ironic my phone would autocorrect in a post where I was making a joke about an autocorrected word!
  • solentsusie
    solentsusie Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!

My thoughts exactly....
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just received a text message from Tesco about my Credit Card possibly being compromised, they are very vague in how they word it. Rang them and they told me it was a third party data breach reported to them by Mastercard, so it looks like it's taking them a long time to find out which cards may have been compromised, or they have suffered a further data breach.

I'm not particularly worried about my new card being contactless though I do use RFID blocking sleeves in the vain hope they work.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bigcammy wrote: »
    I just received a text message from Tesco about my Credit Card possibly being compromised, they are very vague in how they word it. Rang them and they told me it was a third party data breach reported to them by Mastercard, so it looks like it's taking them a long time to find out which cards may have been compromised, or they have suffered a further data breach.

Data breaches and leaks are probably quite common. And not always the fault of card issuers or merchants.

I had two of my card replaced during the same month some time ago. I hadn't used them anywhere even vaguely dodgy.

I had another card unexpectedly replaced a while ago that wasn't about to expire. No explanation. Just the usual here's your new card letter.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 9:26PM
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    To the two of you who have closed your longstanding credit card accounts with Tesco because you have been given contactless cards:
    I hope you have not bitten off your noses to spite your faces and that your credit ratings are good enough to replace these cards and their credit limits with the all so important non-contactless cards from other providers.

To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!

We have other cards anyway that are not contactless.

We do not need a credit card anyway really, always pay off the balance every month, only use them to get the points.

Never checked my credit rating as never borrow money and mortgage is being paid off.

If the other cards go contactless only they will get cancelled as well.

The bank sent contactless debit cards but they replaced them when asked.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    browneyone wrote: »
    Unreal that someone would cancel a account becuase of this.

Why?

We do not like contactless, our personal preference.

Great if you do but they should offer the choice IMO for those that do not and not forced on us.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    We have other cards anyway that are not contactless.

We do not need a credit card anyway really, always pay off the balance every month, only use them to get the points.

Never checked my credit rating as never borrow money and mortgage is being paid off.

If the other cards go contactless only they will get cancelled as well.

The bank sent contactless debit cards but they replaced them when asked.

I assume that means you have never checked your credit report either?. So this means it could be full of mistakes and fraudulent accounts, so i'm assuming you are not worried about fraud.
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Why?

We do not like contactless, our personal preference.

Great if you do but they should offer the choice IMO for those that do not and not forced on us.

What is the reason you don't like contactless?. If its fraud then why are you concerned about it on contactless but are not worried about fraudulent credit accounts?
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    "I do use RFID blocking sleeves in the vain hope they work."

Vain hope? Easy to check if they work. Just wave your card over the wave and pray terminal when it's still in the sleeve. If you don't get the green light you know they are an effective shield. That's how I know my sleeves work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure