PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been a good and productive day. I managed to go up to town and collect a click and collect order from Robert Dyas and one from Marks and Spencer. I had been in to collect both of them last week but the queues were so long I didn't wait. Getting up there when they open at 8.30am is always a good move.

I bought a couple of bits of food that I needed while I was there, and had a look at some YS bits and pieces in M&S but there was nothing there what I needed or wanted, and they didn't have the one thing I did want (a large loaf of medium sliced wholemeal bread). They didn't have any yesterday either. I like theirs as I find it less sweet than a lot of other brands.

I then went home for breakfast, a poached egg on a muffin which I really enjoyed. I had got a few previously frozen portions of diced turkey breast out of the freezer last night to make goulash with, so I prepared that and put it in one slow cooker, and then prepared coq au vin with some some chicken breasts that I had also defrosted overnight. So I now have 4 portions of turkey goulash in the freezer and 4 portions of coq au vin in the freezer for days that I fancy something home cooked but don't have the energy to cook.

While digging around in the freezer yesterday evening I found a couple of home made sausage rolls that were left over from Christmas so I had those with a bit of salad for lunch, and some turkey goulash with steamed veg has just been my dinner this evening.

I need to go through the fridge this evening to see what veg and salad bits there are lurking that I need to use use up and then do a shopping list for anymore fresh bits that I need to get for the weekend.

Have a good evening everyone.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    greenbee wrote: »
    I don't use Gousto, I get mine elsewhere and the pricing is lower, however I can justify that kind of money on that kind of food. And so, apparently can plenty of other people as there are a number of these services and they've all been in business for a while now.

I'm not going to apologise for having a well-paid job. I worked hard for it. And I still work hard, hence not having time to think, plan or shop. It certainly beats a diet of toast or biscuits which is what can happen if I'm not careful when I'm busy. Between the travel and the long office hours when I am actually at home (I started at 6.30 this morning, had 15 minutes for lunch, have about 45 minutes now to cook and eat, and then have meetings and deadlines to deal with so expect to finish around 10 or 11 if I'm lucky), shopping, cooking and eating can end up being neglected.

Perhaps you should be a little less judgmental and try to understand that everyone has different lifestyles. They're very clearly demonstrated by the many posters on this thread, all of whom have come to CFO from different perspectives and like different foods (did you see PN's review of my menu ;))
    Absolutely you need to do what works best for you :)
    I used 4 of the spuds I got on the cheap at Ald1 the other week ... and steamed them.

I opened a can of tuna (one of a stack) I've had since probably 2015 ... and I added in almost all of the chopped onions I've got ... and a big squirt of my newly purchased bottle of salad cream and, just because I can, I tossed a liberal amount of cayenne on ... and mixed it all together.

Spuds steamed, I dolloped the tuna mix on top .... and ate the lot with a big spoon on the sofa :)
    I know what you mean about a stack of tins of tuna - not my "go to" in the tinned fish dept but a hangover from children at home:cool:
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been a good and productive day. I managed to go up to town and collect a click and collect order from Robert Dyas and one from Marks and Spencer. I had been in to collect both of them last week but the queues were so long I didn't wait. Getting up there when they open at 8.30am is always a good move.

I bought a couple of bits of food that I needed while I was there, and had a look at some YS bits and pieces in M&S but there was nothing there what I needed or wanted, and they didn't have the one thing I did want (a large loaf of medium sliced wholemeal bread). They didn't have any yesterday either. I like theirs as I find it less sweet than a lot of other brands.

I then went home for breakfast, a poached egg on a muffin which I really enjoyed. I had got a few previously frozen portions of diced turkey breast out of the freezer last night to make goulash with, so I prepared that and put it in one slow cooker, and then prepared coq au vin with some some chicken breasts that I had also defrosted overnight. So I now have 4 portions of turkey goulash in the freezer and 4 portions of coq au vin in the freezer for days that I fancy something home cooked but don't have the energy to cook.

While digging around in the freezer yesterday evening I found a couple of home made sausage rolls that were left over from Christmas so I had those with a bit of salad for lunch, and some turkey goulash with steamed veg has just been my dinner this evening.

I need to go through the fridge this evening to see what veg and salad bits there are lurking that I need to use use up and then do a shopping list for anymore fresh bits that I need to get for the weekend.

Have a good evening everyone.
    Sounds like a productive day on the food front :D

Dinner plans changed a wee bit as a realised I had green beans (yum) to use up and I hit CBA mode re making onion gravy so granules it was:) was still blooming tasty:D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Absolutely you need to do what works best for you :)
    I really, really want to go to bed... but did manage to have salmon with harissa, purple sprouting broccoli, rice and mashed BNS (the last two both from the freezer).
    I know what you mean about a stack of tins of tuna - not my "go to" in the tinned fish dept but a hangover from children at home:cool:
    I'm down to one tin now. I like the fact that it can sit there forever, just waiting till you need it.
    Dinner plans changed a wee bit as a realised I had green beans (yum) to use up and I hit CBA mode re making onion gravy so granules it was:) was still blooming tasty:D

That's the important thing - being able to still eat reasonably well when you CBA and there is no one else to do it for you or for you to feel it worth making the effort for.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Earlier I knew I'd fancy something sweet a bit later ... so I dug out the final 2 crumpets from the freezer and sat them on the worktop alongside the chocolate spread, so I'd not forget :)

Those crumpets have lived in the freezer for a shorter time than any previously frozen crumpets! Wolfed down they were....

A bit later, I fancied that "something sweet", so went and toasted the crumpets and smeared a little chocolate spread on. Hit the spot! It's some supermarket's own brand, basics level, chocolate spread... not sure whose without looking ... but it's nice.
  • Hollyharvey

A bit later, I fancied that "something sweet", so went and toasted the crumpets and smeared a little chocolate spread on. Hit the spot! It's some supermarket's own brand, basics level, chocolate spread... not sure whose without looking ... but it's nice.

I haven't had any chocolate spread for years, I think I will pick up a jar for a change. I tend to always have raspberry or strawberry jam or honey.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never liked chocolate spread...tried it years and years ago and it was as yuk as cooking chocolate so never had it again.

As for crumpet toppings..one is just drowned in butter whilst still warm, the other one, having cooled a little whilst waiting to be dressed, is covered in butter and thin cut orange marmalade.

Then rinse and repeat because 2 crumpets are never enough!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 10:48PM
    karcher wrote: »
    I've never liked chocolate spread...tried it years and years ago and it was as yuk as cooking chocolate so never had it again.
    I can understand that - I'd seen it/heard of it, but assumed it'd be nasty. I ended up randomly buying a jar at L1dl... and quite liking it, although it was a bit "sludgy/thick" for me - and the next jar I got was a cheapo one and it's nicer/smoother. Maybe slide a 40p jar into your basket next time you're at a supermarket that flogs a cheap 40p one .... and give it a "newly curious now" run round the block for taste :)

When my first jar ran out it still had bits stuck to the sides of the jar, so I weighed out a portion of hot chocolate, half filled the jar with boiling water and gave it all a shake around, then poured it into the mug, it gave my hot chocolate an extra chocolatey "kick" "for free" so to speak.

Then rinse and repeat because 2 crumpets are never enough!

I can honestly say I've never had more than 2 at a sitting! I'll cook 1 or 2... 1 is a snack, 2 is a meal.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post

I can honestly say I've never had more than 2 at a sitting! I'll cook 1 or 2... 1 is a snack, 2 is a meal.

In my defence I may leave 30 minutes between courses :p

I could easily polish off a whole pack of crumpets during the course of a day..I find them very morish :o
  • Hollyharvey

I could easily polish off a whole pack of crumpets during the course of a day..I find them very morish :o

So could I, the same with a packet of English muffins. I really like crumpets and muffins with so much butter that it soaks through the bottom of them. One of my favourite treats.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So could I, the same with a packet of English muffins. I really like crumpets and muffins with so much butter that it soaks through the bottom of them. One of my favourite treats.

Hmmm I'm getting hungry now! Not a huge fan of muffins but I wouldn't turn one down if it was soaked in butter :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family