Cat help request

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 17 April 2017 at 3:11PM in Pets & pet care
We have 2 cats - 13 and 14 years old - the (slightly) older one "lost" his sister, 7 years ago and changed, virtually overnight to an extemely needy feline -he started following my wife around the house like a lost puppy and never EVER stays in a room on his own !!

He wakes up at 3am (at the latest) EVERY morning and demands to be fed and let out (cat flap IS left open 24/7) - vocally and physically (he claws the bed) - he is fit and well - but had part of his THYROID removed, 3 years ago but still eats constantly - the vet has done every test going on him - but nothing is detected !!
He is a slightly overweight 13 lbs but is a big build cat !
We have tried feliway numerous times with no effect noticed
We have tried "special" food - but he is extremely picky with the food that he will eat
He also "finds" food at neighbours
What else can we try ?

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Difficult one - have you tried a timed feeder to feed him just before 3am, perhaps?
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's obviously established a routine, I suppose the only way you will stop him from expecting attention at 3am is to stop giving it? Your cat has learnt that if he's vocal and physical he gets what he wants.
    You could try interacting and playing with him before bed time.
    I would only give treats/attention when he is quiet and reward the behaviour you want to see.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    We have tried playing with him just before bedtime but it makes no difference at all
    He has got away with it for so long that he will not change now
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would try a timed feeder for fresh food (I think ours was only about £20 and it works really well), make sure the cat flap is open and also put a litter tray down inside just in case, then ignore him when he tries to wake you. If he's doing damage e.g. to furniture, I would quietly stop that but I wouldn't be engaging in 'discussion' with him about it! Just say no, stop him and get back in bed each time. He should learn eventually but if you give in he'll learn that you give in eventually so don't!
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    I would try a timed feeder for fresh food (I think ours was only about £20 and it works really well), make sure the cat flap is open and also put a litter tray down inside just in case, then ignore him when he tries to wake you. If he's doing damage e.g. to furniture, I would quietly stop that but I wouldn't be engaging in 'discussion' with him about it! Just say no, stop him and get back in bed each time. He should learn eventually but if you give in he'll learn that you give in eventually so don't!
    Tried all of that - no sucess - we think that it must be feline dementure !!
    he appears unable to remember anything! !
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How long are you trying things for?
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    How long are you trying things for?

Long enough - several weeks in the case of Feliway !
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

What sort of help are you hoping for then?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps he has dementia, as I suspect the older of my two dogs (13 and 14) has.

He wants a walk one day, but next refuses to move, then howls because the other dog is taken out.

He wakes up in the night and used to prowl, but as his legs are getting weaker, now just cries to be lifted onto the bed.

When it's walk time, my husband has to take him out on the front, while I walk the other dog. He does toilet, but then walks in circles until we are back.

He is content, eats his food and takes interest if any is about, but spends a lot of time sleeping.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

At his age if he has been allowed to this this so a long time it is unfair to expect him to change now. If you wanted to stop this behaviour then the time to do so was when it first started.

Think of things that you can do to make it easier for you to manage this, I don't have a cat flap so had no choice to let cat(s) around 5am (never looked at the clock) was a popular time here. I would go downstairs as soon a the noise started half asleep (didn't even bother to put my glasses on) door open/shut then straight up back to bed again, I got used to it and it didn't take me long to get back to sleep again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure