kids pass membership cancellation

Anyone been able to cancel kids pass auto enrolement membership?

I have been auto enrolled after the trial period and charged £40 for a years membership.

Just wondering if i have any rights to cancellation and refund?

My mistake that i forgot to cancel but they didn't send any reminder emails or anything.

Just feel aggrieved that i haven't used their service or not likely to use their service.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    immy wrote: »
    Just wondering if i have any rights to cancellation and refund?

from their website http://www.kidspass.co.uk/refund-policy.pdf
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Note that that Refund & Cancellation Policy refers to your "right to cancel your initial membership with us within 14 days of your original purchase".

OP, you have no right to cancel the renewal having allowed it to take place.
    That does not mean you cannot ask them to cancel the renewal, but expect a refusal.
  • I used to be treasurer of an organisation that collected most of its subscriptions by direct debit. According to the rules, members had to give notice before the end of the membership year if they did not want to renew.

Each year a few members would go to their banks, sometimes several months after renewal, and claim that they had not authorised renewal. The bank would then, without question, claw the money back and charge us for the privilege!

In theory, or so we were advised, we could sue the former member for that year's subscription but that is not a route we opted to go down.

I have no idea what would happen in this case.
  • immy
    immy Posts: 227 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Note that that Refund & Cancellation Policy refers to your "right to cancel your initial membership with us within 14 days of your original purchase".

OP, you have no right to cancel the renewal having allowed it to take place.
    That does not mean you cannot ask them to cancel the renewal, but expect a refusal.

I mistook this to be 14 days after the year membership was taken so according to them I cannot cancel. Seems unfair and no email reminders to say of upcoming YEARLY renewal.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    I used to be treasurer of an organisation that collected most of its subscriptions by direct debit. According to the rules, members had to give notice before the end of the membership year if they did not want to renew.

Each year a few members would go to their banks, sometimes several months after renewal, and claim that they had not authorised renewal. The bank would then, without question, claw the money back and charge us for the privilege!

In theory, or so we were advised, we could sue the former member for that year's subscription but that is not a route we opted to go down.

I have no idea what would happen in this case.

Bear in mind that the OP's situation is more likely to be a CPA (continuous payment authority) rather than a DD (direct debit). So the DD guarantee rules wouldn't apply, and clawing back payments (whilst not impossible) are more difficult to do. (A CPA can still be stopped though).
  • immy wrote: »
    I mistook this to be 14 days after the year membership was taken so according to them I cannot cancel. Seems unfair and no email reminders to say of upcoming YEARLY renewal.

But then that would mean you would be getting a 45 day free trial.

To be fair, they make it perfectly clear on the sign up page what happens before you submit your details:-
    Only £1 payable today. By joining Kids Pass, I understand that my membership is an ongoing subscription service and will automatically renew on my trial expiry date 16 October 2016 for greatly a reduced annual fee of £39.99 (normally £75). I understand that I can cancel at any time in accordance with the Terms and Conditions, and that my membership will continue to renew at the end of each subsequent term until it is cancelled in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. I agree to inform Kids Pass if any of my contact details change. Purchases will appear on your statement as from Kids Pass.
  • immy
    immy Posts: 227 Forumite
    Yes i know i signed up to their terms and agreements....i was curious as to what deals they offered....turns out its not very much and i forgot to cancel.

I was curious to see if others had a similar experience and if they were able to cancel.

Obviously its part of their business model for this type of sale.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can cancel to make sure you don't get charged again next year but you won't necessarily get a refund for this year. You may not have used nor want the service but they made it available to you.
  • I too have been caught out with this auto renewal and am not happy!
    I initially joined on a trial offer and stopped the auto renew before it kicked in when I couldn't see anything that was worth having from them. But it would appear one of the kids looked at the app on my phone for theme park deals a few weeks back and it started up another trial which I knew nothing about until I checked my bank account yesterday to see they have taken £29.99 out of it! This threw me into the red and I'm now overdrawn. I am most annoyed :mad:
    I rang them (in tears) only to get a very unhelpful lady tell me it is in their terms and to email the accounts department. I emailed the accounts department and told them they have taken money which I had no notification they were going to take and it has plunged me into the red and just got a 'sorry but its in the agreement and we don't give refunds' reply.
    I am beyond disgusted with their 'customer service' and lack of empathy. Im left out of pocket and without a leg to stand on.
    So as rotten as it is to say....but I doubt you will be lucky enough to get a refund.
    The only thing we can hope is that this saves other people their money by making them more aware of these auto-renew systems, and it shows how callous and uncaring KidsPass as a company and their customer service is.
    Save
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I too have been caught out with this auto renewal and am not happy!
    I initially joined on a trial offer and stopped the auto renew before it kicked in when I couldn't see anything that was worth having from them. But it would appear one of the kids looked at the app on my phone for theme park deals a few weeks back and it started up another trial which I knew nothing about until I checked my bank account yesterday to see they have taken £29.99 out of it! This threw me into the red and I'm now overdrawn. I am most annoyed :mad:
    I rang them (in tears) only to get a very unhelpful lady tell me it is in their terms and to email the accounts department. I emailed the accounts department and told them they have taken money which I had no notification they were going to take and it has plunged me into the red and just got a 'sorry but its in the agreement and we don't give refunds' reply.
    I am beyond disgusted with their 'customer service' and lack of empathy. Im left out of pocket and without a leg to stand on.
    So as rotten as it is to say....but I doubt you will be lucky enough to get a refund.
    The only thing we can hope is that this saves other people their money by making them more aware of these auto-renew systems, and it shows how callous and uncaring KidsPass as a company and their customer service is.
    Forgive me for saying this, but I think you and your children are entirely responsible for your current situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback