Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,316Posts
    • 13,855Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 16
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    Peppapig
    CHIRPYCHICK I love your summaries of the people you need to buy for, theyíre brilliant. If you have a Home Bargains near you they have really good beer gifts at very reasonable prices in the run up to Christmas although they e got some now too because of Fatherís Day. How about a gardening hamper for your FIL? Poundland and Home Bargains have some really good gardening bits (gloves, implements, enamel mugs, decorative garden bits, so,ar lights etc) you could put them all as a hamper in a flower pot or something else garden related. Possibly an Amazon voucher for your nephew so he can put it towards a game he wants? Fluffy unicorn throw for your niece or pretty light string for her bedroom (Asda had some of both recently)? I completely understand the ten presents thing but as you say you can always wrap a couple of small bits up if your budget runs out. Unfortunately I canít suggest anything for your DH with no interests or hobbies - Iíve got one of those too I like your Starbucks idea, I might steal that.

Last day of our holiday today - itís rained every day but weíve managed to work round it. Home tomorrow.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 10th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 16,679 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hiya,

Did another car boot sale yesterday to make the most of the break in the rain. Only made £50 odd pounds but brought a lot less home.So money made to date is £2,553 and some pence.

Feeling much better foot wise so will try to do a bit of DIY this week in preparation for selling the house.I have ruined all the paintwork through out the house with the wheelchair. At least its all at ground level and I can sit on the floor and sand to my hearts content!

I have been knitting.Baby jumpers,no reason just fancied knitting.My Mum has been doing the neckbands for me.I asked her to show me how to pick up the stitches but she just says it's easy. Yes it is for her,she has been knitting 80 years.She keeps phoning and telling me what I have done wrong!lol

SIL seeing the consultant today.They will operate next week.She has never been ill in her life,she thinks all will be ok and she will carry on as if nothing has happened.Don't want to bring her down so have said nothing.I think she will get a shock.She is having reconstruction of the liver and chemo and radio therapy.She is very positive.Atta girl.

Today is the day I cut out biscuits,cake,ice cream,and anything else suggary and fatty! Watch this space.Tried to put my best trousers on,oh dear,oh dear.I will be travelling round Turkey in a big sheet like Demis Roussos.

Nothing Christmassy yet.Will turn my mind to it more after the holiday and after the house decorating is done.

Love to all Vx
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 11th Jun 19, 11:41 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    chirpychick
    Hey everyone.
    @Peppapig I hadn't realised how comical I had made everyone sound LOL.
    We don't have a Home Bargains nearby, It's about 30 minutes away but if i'm going near one I shall keep that in mind thank you.
    @Vulpix well done on your making ££ that's so impressive, I'm so sorry about your SIL wishing her and you all the best.

Since I last posted I have taught myself to crochet LOL I used an amazon voucher to buy some wool and hooks, I have been really poorly for the past week so I took the opportunity. I have made my little pickle a hat and a scarf - though he's telling me he wants a hat with 2 pom poms like ears so I may gift his to someone else and make another.
    I made my niece a hat and used some half price alphabet buttons and attached them. She has an unusual name so personalised stuff is rare. It is all purple, pinks and cream. I have a stash of Christmas boxes in the loft which I've saved over the years so I shall wrap it in some tissue paper and pop in a box with a ribbon to make it seem more special. The total cost really was free but actual cost was £3.50. I am going to get her a selection box and that's it.
    I then won myself a sewing machine off ebay for £16! I brought some fat quarters from hobbycraft and tonight made my Goddaughter (12) a pen wrap. I remembered I have some really nice gel pens already which I will fill it with and get a teenage colouring book from the works.
    I have never used a sewing machine in my life before so what was recommended as a 30 minute make took me 6 hours LOL. However total cost was £2.40
    I have also brought my best friends son and youngest daughter a nerf gun and a tea set in the argos 2 for £15 so i'm coming in at under budget all over the place right now and feeling really quite chuffed with myself.
    My MIL gave hubby her old tablet and some dvd's the other day to sell on and he is taking them to CEX along with some of ours in exchange for a voucher which I shall use towards video games for Pickle which means I should get 2 for no cost to myself. 1 will go for his birthday and 1 for Christmas.
    We go away Friday for 6 days, 3 days mini break and 3 days to visit my nan. I think I shall keep an eye open for anything from the museums for FIL while away. He told me the other day he is going to give up gardening now as he hasn't the energy or the time which makes me feel sad but I totally understand.
    If I don't pop on before we go away have a great week ahead.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Wow CHIRPYCHICK Iíve been saying Iím going to learn to crochet for years and not done it and youíve managed it since you last posted. Did you use YouTube or some other tutorial? Well done on your pressies and have a lovely few days away and visiting.

VULPIX hope things go well for your SIL. A positive approach definitely wonít hurt, plus sheís got you too.

I hope the forecasters are right about the weather changing next week, my poor garden is looking very battered. Mind you, the bad weather does make me think about Christmas so itís not all bad....
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 15th Jun 19, 6:19 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 4,635 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Bought a few bits this week towards my present stash: after shave balm for brother, a stress gadget for him too.

hope everyone is ok xx
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 16th Jun 19, 7:43 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 13,518 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    sorry for being MIA for a while. Back now with a vengeance. Peppa, l was shown how to crochet by my gran when l was about 11-12 but l taught myself how to read patterns and how to increase/decrease etc. there are loads of u tube self help tutorials online too. l find it more relaxing than knitting. Lots of small crochet Christmassy things online too.
    My friend with the brain haemorrhage died last week, and her funeral is Wednesday this week.
    Still trying to get PPI sorted out for fave niece, and DGS1's aunt wants me to do DLA forms for her son who has ADHD and autism. Happy days!!
    Nice things happen too, spent yesterday afternoon sitting on the patio (aka yard) drinking coffee with friends and their nearly 2 year old niece.
    Today l hope to plant up another friends front garden put some colour in her life too. Although as her 10yr old son has just been given a puppy of unknown parentage, how long before it gets dug up remains to be seen.. Also on the Christmas front l bought a bottle of port for my big bro from DD. special offer in M&Spensive + my discount real bargain. That l also bought myself 3 unneeded but rather nice T shirts doesn't count. So there. have a lovely Sunday, all. xxx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 16th Jun 19, 11:05 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 36,054 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Hi everyone I hope you have all had a good weekend x

MRSINVISIBLE so sorry to hear about your friend sending you lots of hugs x you do such a lot for people, if there were more people like you in the world it would be a much better place

TREASUREQUEEN your Christmas stash seems to be coming along nicely

PEPPAPIG glad you had a lovely holiday even with the rain. I canít knit or crochet, tried when I was younger but just couldnít get the hang of it, actually this has made me think of my Nan, she wasnít a knitter either

CHIRPYCHICK hi, I remember you from a long time ago, hope you have a lovely holiday

VULPIX so sorry to hear about your SIL illness, I hope her positiveness stays strong. Well done on all the selling and raising your spending money

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY I love that your Christmas cakes are all made. Hope you are well
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Nice to see you FREE. Hope all is ok with you and yours.

MRSINVIS I second what FREE said.

TREASUREQUEEN youíre doing well with your pressies - slow and steady wins the race. I havenít bought anything yet but I donít usually start til July so Iím not panicking yet.

I was thinking about starting some Christmas cards (I know some people will already have all that in hand) but I canít decide if Iím actually going to send any this year. Part of me thinks no because the postage is so high but then I think how I would feel if I didnít get any cards, not that we do get many now. Iím one of those sad people who puts the cards up that come from businesses weíve bought from Iíll have to give it some more thought.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 16,679 Thanks
    vulpix
    I cut back drastically on cards years ago .As I worked at a school we were overwhelmed with them.We only send and get a few now,from people we don't see but like to remember.Family don't send cards to each other.I am much happier as they are lovely and a lovely thing for children to do but a dreadful waste of resources.I sound like the grinch!

No Christmas prep here at all.All my energy is going into decluttering and little DIY jobs on the house before decorating and putting it up for sale.

I have sold my Polo to my son and got my old mini back.We will give it some TLC and DD2 can have it.It has been just the best car ever for me,DD1 and DS .DS is unable to get a bank loan because he lived in Canada for 2 years.He is also presently unable to do a range of jobs including being a fireman or join the RAF which he really wanted to do.Not just Canada btw,just out of the country for more than 3 months.

On the list today is cancel Polo insurance,make hair app,garden tidy,dismantle and cut up old garden furniture,( some done last week and made into a new floor for the wood store)Put up new light fitting in the bathroom etc, etc.Some sewing to do,anything except decorate which I HATE.

Cats continue to be entertaining but can't see any progress with the gorgeous Idris Elba,Goldy Hawn is a fuss pot now.

Nice to hear from you all. Vxxx
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 20th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 4,635 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    MRSINVISIBLE I’m sorry to hear about your loss, sending hugs.

Got a shower gel for brother- lynx was reduced in Tesco this week so got him one.

I only buy cards for people I see, stopped cousin cards as I don’t see them very often and they tend to buy the cheapest budget card they can get hold off. (They are all well-off). I only post cards to the elderly family members who live further away. I try to hand deliver most of the local ones. Cardsare a family tradition (we out do one another’s cards on words and traditional pictures).
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 21st Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    chirpychick
    Hello! We're back! We had a wonderful weekend away, visiting was hard but still nice. We got back last night with a new Chicken LOL!

PEPPA- I completely just followed online videos to learn what to do. Though I have to admit, I am finding so much more joy in the sewing than the crochet. But Hubby will kill me if I don't use up this wool I brought

MRSINVISIBLE- I'm so sorry for your loss, sending you love.

FREESPIRIT66 - *waves*

I did take my crochet stuff away with me but I didn't manage to get any done. I have however today, avoided all housework and sorted my airing cupboard hunting out fabrics I can upcycle!
    My Mum has started doing pyrography (something I'm dying to try!) and I have put in an order with her for a bookmark and coaster for my FIL. I said I wanted to pay for it as a customer even though she said she wouldn't charge me anything because that way the same logic can be applied if she wants me to make her something Father in law always has a book list as long as his arm so will get him one nearer the time to go with those and then he is done.
    I made a start on some stocking stuff today. Hubby and Pickle went to town on the bus today and took some dvds and games to CEX, I then used that voucher to buy some games on Pickle's list for Birthday & Christmas. That way they cost me effectively nothing. Then I noticed that Am@zon has a £5 off a £10 spend on toys and I had a £10 voucher so I order £20 of stuff for £5 "cost" I got some top trumps, uno, gelli baff and are we there yet game these will all go in pickle's stocking.
    Hubby and I chatted for at least 3 of the 4 hours in the car last night about christmas
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 23rd Jun 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 17,989 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning.
    Iím feeling excited as we head into the last week of school, and then go on our first overseas family holiday. Iím dreading the long drive with the kids poking each other the whole way. But I have organised loads of car activities, puzzle books, organisers for the back of the seats for iPads and snacks etc. Got tons downloaded on Netflix. Music playlists. So they better not be too bored! I got 3 neck cushions too. The 2 I got in Savers have hoods attached! So the two eldest can hide in their hoods and ignore us

Been plodding away at surveys and made another £35 this month towards our holiday spending money. I plan to go tomorrow to get Euros.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 23rd Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 16,679 Thanks
    vulpix
    I am so pleased for you Nic.It will be amazing and a time the kids will always remember.xx

Well the best laid plans n all that! Quelle surprise I have been poorly! I have had a kidney infection.Goodness me I was rough. Got antibiotics now which are bossing it.

The sales so far are £2,750.Staggering as you would expect the house to be empty but it has made no difference what so ever.

CC you are so good for teaching yourself how to crochet.I find the older I get the less I can be bothered learning new stuff,hangs head in shame.I am however trying to improve my knitting and move on from when I learned at 4. I have been making baby clothes but when I get stuck with the pattern I send it to my Mum who is 85 and partialy sighted.It is hilarious as she phones me and tells me what I have done wrong.My Mum is and always has been a very skilled craftswoman.Embroidery,lace making,sewing,knitting second to none.I am a very poor imitation though people at my craft group think I am brilliant.If I was only half as good as my Mum. The thing about crafts for me is,I love doing it but don't want the type of home full of crafts.Saying that I have made my sitting room curtains,tapestry cushion and huge embroidered picture lol.

My SIL has had a turn for the worse and a stay in hospital.She is out for the weekend then back in for tests and operation to remove 2/3 of her liver.Poor,poor old girl.

I hope you are all well and enjoying the slight reprieve from the rain,what a difference to last year eh?

Mwah xxxV
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX Iím the same, there are lots of crafts Iíd like to try but I wouldnít actually want the end result. Hope your SIL can stay comfortable and that the surgery goes well. Love the names youíve chosen for your kitties. If DH does soften on the no more pets front Iím toying with Tyrian and Denaerys (Game of Thrones).

NIC I am in awe of your planning skills for the long car journey. It always throws me when your schools break up lol. Hope you have a fabulous holiday.

Weíve had a lovely garden themed weekend with the Blenheim Palace Flower Show on Friday and the Woburn Abbey Garden Show on Sunday. The big news is that Iíve broken my own rule and started my Christmas shopping before July by getting the pressies for my sister and BIL while I was there so win win
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 25th Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 4,635 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Sainsbury’s/Argos online have men’s memory foam slippers down to £5.00. I got a couple of pairs put by for gifts as they are usually £10.00. Free click and collect too.

Earnt £4.00 in surveys today which I will cash in for vouchers later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

3,954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin